Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 27: When you have a few moments to kill, what game do you play on your smart phone?

Don't have a smart phone so me and the voices in my head just discuss things in my spare moments.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 27: When you have a few moments to kill, what game do you play on your smart phone?

I've been poking through the Figure Finder recently.

I used to have a sudoku app on my phone but it didn't get updated for iOS 11.

Sometimes I muck with Fnorder, like when I'm in a location without signal.  It's not so much a game as 'Push a button and get a silly message.'

• Like 6
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have several. Here are some screenshots:

Really Bad Chess

1E427019-AED2-4321-8EA9-B243336B3A51.thumb.jpeg.4dd3edadea2410636b03bfb3425e69d2.jpeg

This one is ironically titled. I think it is a pretty good app. It is Chess. But not standard Chess. It is the answer to: what happens if each side starts with a different army of chess pieces? Like they were real armies, composed differently, with a random mix of available troop types... In the game shown black had, three Knights, three Bishop, three Rooks, and three Queens (But I won anyhow.)

ColorBump3D

4B39FDEB-D73D-4722-BA8D-AD067A7CD8C0.thumb.jpeg.143268cd23e84c3277ee3893350e397f.jpeg

This one is a classic time waster, don’t take your eye off the screen game. I play it; but I don’t recommend it.  Way to many ads, they are always noisy video ads, usually to other game titles from the same lazy programmers. It is basically unplayable except in Airplane Mode (which kills the umbilical to the Advert server). But I do enjoy the action of it. You control a Bowling Ball [?] rolling down an endless ally filled with a variety of geometric objects. These get knocked over like toppling dominos, but you have to avoid hitting the contrasting color. (In the screenshot I have to avoid green items.) Other flaws, it is a power hog, it’s levels are repetitive, there are only 100 obstacle configurations ignoring color swap outs, there is no pause, no easy way to get a screenshot... ...at some point I will ditch it. 

Chessagon

7A4258FB-5356-4139-B064-7E70202A3257.thumb.jpeg.f65e668905f056a80a64577ae83c6a50.jpeg

I am blowing my own horn a bit here. That chessknight is my artwork. I also designed several of the different chess set options in this app. 

I am one of the creators of this one, (and pretty much playtester in Chief...sorta my unpaid internship job). It is chess, on a hexagon shaped board, composed of triangles. The pieces seen below are one of the sets I designed. 

8C461EFB-F359-4006-ADE1-C4E474B0E07B.thumb.jpeg.ff44d1f5e43e8b77e369c348b496e6b8.jpeg

This is what a game in progress looks like.   I am the White pieces the AI is the Black Forces. Unlike Square Chess, this has flanks to worry about, more spaces to move to, more pawns... ...many years ago my brother and I had this crazed idea to make Chess more complicated. This was the result (so maybe not a game for everybody) and we believe we’ve succeeded with that whole complicatedness thing. 

Thanks mostly to my Nephew the phone can play against you (but you can play other people as well). The AI is beatable, but don’t let it get ahead in material. 

• Like 12
45 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I usual play "has anyone poster to the Reaper forums recently?  How about now?"

Usually this. Mostly this.

I also spend time on crossword puzzles.

And on YouTube, I divert myself with woodturning videos (Nick Zametti amuses me) and, although I couldn't care less about watching Pool, I am somehow FASCINATED by Snooker.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've been playing computer games since 1975. I have yet to find a phone game that I find enjoyable. I play PC games, console games, etc. 

The only game I have on my phone is Solitaire. I play Vegas rules, persistent scoring (you buy the deck for $52 and get $5/card for each card that goes into the top 4 suit piles).

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

That's the trouble, I used to be good at this stuff ::(:

I was a professional musician in the 80s and 90s. I quit for several years, then picked it up one day and decided to build up my skills again. It took a long time, but it was easier than learning the first time. After playing some rock, metal, and blues for a few years, I started learning to play classical music and got my chops up to the point where I was when I recorded the clip I posted earlier. That was probably the high water mark of my guitar playing (though my high water mark for bass was when we were working on the west coast and I was in music school).

So I look at it this way: If you were good at something in the past, it means you have that ability and it's just a matter of discipline to get back and surpass your previous skill level. 

Since I took up painting minis (and now traditional art), my music skills have rusted significantly. But if I were to focus my efforts on those skills, I could have them into decent shape relatively quickly. I feel you could do the same, and shouldn't let the current state of your skills (as compared to your previous high water mark) get you down.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't play games on my phone.

I play on PC/Laptop if I just got a few moments to kill I will get some tea or coffee, the games found on phones are too casual for me.

Either that or the screen is too small for the games I do like.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't think I have any games currently installed on my phone.

I tend to visit a handful of websites (including this one), read PDF content, or (to my detriment) look at Facebook.

• Like 7

@Klarg1

I hate Facebook. I wish there were an easier way for me to keep in touch with all my long distance friends, and I'd jettison that crap like a bad convenience store burrito. 

Someone I know needs to invent teleportation. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Despite falling into the "millennial" generation, I've never had a game on my phone. I'm a die hard PC gamer (or used to be). I did once have an app for D&D 3.5 spells on my phone, but after I got it we stopped playing.

18 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Roses are red

Violets are purple 

Sugar is sweet

And so is maple surple 

Edit: I just saw that @ManvsMini ninja'd this poem 

A Latin proverb comes to mind: Ouyay oozesnay, ouyay ooselay.  ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I usual play "has anyone poster to the Reaper forums recently?  How about now?"

Yep. Haha.

I'm a PC gamer. I'd love to find some cool mobile games, but most irritate me with their microtransactions. I also kinda forget I have a phone most days anyways. I was just fussing over not having any cool apps on my phone last night. I have Merlin, sky, and Plantnet for all my fun natural identification needs, but when I'm bored, I'd rather learn about something that's in my area without having to hunt it down first. Like a fact file. :D 

• Like 9