Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 28: Are there any hobby related tutorials/classes that really helped you level up; if so what?

My leveling is a culmination of all the classes, books, tutorials, and YT videos over the past several years.

Games Changers?  For me they were:

Layer and Blending (Markon)

Painted Ladies (Bender)

Glazing: When, Why, How (Pieper)

Color Theory (Hartwell)

Airbrushing 101 (Lovejoy)

Advanced Basing (Proctor)

And then lots of practice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 27: When you have a few moments to kill, what game do you play on your smart phone?

Late to the party, but wanted to answer this one anyway.

I've really been sinking way too much time into Empires and Puzzles lately. Good grindy match 3 game  with RPG elements that is gated by time and grinding, where paying to get ahead only gets you so far, the rest has to come from grinding.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 28: Are there any hobby related tutorials/classes that really helped you level up; if so what?

And with that my month of quisitorial duties are over; @Glitterwolf will start the March post on the marrow.

I've taken an assortment of blending classes, as well as advanced technique classes which emphasized blending, which have contributed a lot to my painting skills.

After that, I would say "Black and White" with Rhonda Bender might have made the most difference.

• Like 5

And with that my month of quisitorial duties are over; @Glitterwolf will start the March post on the marrow.

There is a lot of great help out there, especially on the Reaper forums. I've also gotten great tutorials from our esteemed @Kuro Cleanbrush and VIncent Venturella, and recently I found out that a fantastic tutorial on greenstuffing flames is no longer being held hostage by Photobucket.

• Like 6

When I first started there was this website called 'Brushthralls' that mostly featured step-by-steps of early Warmachine stuff. They stopped updating in 2009 and stopped paying for the domain in 2017. It's all fallen offline.

I learned a lot of techniques from those step by steps.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

I've really been sinking way too much time into Empires and Puzzles lately. Good grindy match 3 game  with RPG elements that is gated by time and grinding, where paying to get ahead only gets you so far, the rest has to come from grinding.

Me too, that has been my hook.  I also like the fact that they offer $1 and $2 specials from time to time that really get you something decent.  It seems that most other games the low value stuff is pretty lame and anything you'd want will set you back $10 to $20.  I don't mind spending a few bucks a month on a game I like, since programmers need to eat too, but it shouldn't dominate the game.

The other one I like a lot is War Dragons. If you play and want a good team, join Crickets (just let me know first as I'll vouch for you; I'm an officer).

As for today's question:

Sculpting:

James Von Schiak's green stuff tutorial (Sci Fi lady) on Miniature Mentor was well worth the $40 I paid for it and has paid for itself many times over.  It really was where I got my start as a sculptor.

ReaperCon classes and one on one advice by Gene Van Horne, Derek Schubert, Bob Ridolfi, Julie Guthrie, Jason Wiebe, Bobby Jackson, Patrick Keith, Kevin Williams, et. al. were/are amazing.  Gene had my back from the start, when I first started posting about it here.  The rest have been awesome both in classes and in person.  I wouldn't be what I am now without all of them in my corner.  I spend most of my year looking forward to my long talks with Bob and Julie as we sit at the artist table.

Painting:

These forums and the great people here are why I paint as well as I do.  Anne F, Derek S, Rhonda B, Erin H, and Sean F, probably have had the biggest impact on my painting.  The only painting tutorial I remember taking outside of Rhonda and Derek's classes at ReaperCon is Marike's Darksword video, which is excellent.  Right now the best thing I have found is Rhonda's new blog, Bird with a Brush.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Okay, you've convinced me ::P: I'll pick up some proper pencils and paper the next time I'm near the art store. But I'll make sure everyone knows that you're to blame when I start posting bad sketches in the randomness thread....

The road to good drawings is littered with thousands of bad ones :) Have fun!

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's been a while...hmm. Definitely the Darksword series of DVDs. Video gold. Also Reapercon classes, specifically Jess Rich's skin tones ("hot chicks"), Rhonda's level-up, and Derek's facial expressions. DKS also gave me a brief private tutoring session that gave me a ton of insight. Oh, and Aaron's old 'olliekickflip' blending post here.

Oddly, I mostly watched how he worked the palette. I find the same thing happening with my oil painting instructor, I get a lot out of just watching her work the palette. To me, the palette is where a lot of 'thinking out loud' is done.

• Like 8

The biggest breakthrough class for me was a "Paint that Army" class given at GhengisCon back in 2006-2008 or so.  The class itself didn't really teach me any new skills - it was basically drybrushing and other quick army techniques, but it made me look at the hobby in a different light.  The biggest take away I got from it was using larger and different shaped brushes, but that in itself wasn't the biggest effect the class had. 

I wound up blowing off the last day of the con, and going home to work on my GW Lizardman army. At the time, I had maybe a dozen figures in that army painted out of 200+ figures. Thanks to the class, I painted 60%-70% of the army in the week after the con*.   And that was the start of a new attitude about my painting.  It stopped being about getting better and doing the best job I could on every figure, and started being about just getting minis painted.  Ultimately, that attitude wound up being beneficial, because I was more relaxed about doing a good job on the minis I truly wanted to do a good job on, and that in turn led to me getting better without the anxiety I had been suffering from actually trying to get better.  I'm still not that great, but I made more progress in the five years after that than I did in the 16-17 years before it. 

The other significant class for me was Bob Ridolfi's conversion class at RCon 2007.  That gave me the confidence I needed to attempt things harder than simple weapon swaps, and I found I really like doing conversions.  There was a couple year period a few years back where I did lots of conversion, and no painting. 

*full disclosure: I still don't have that army finished, but I'm up to the 90% mark now. ::D:

• Like 7

On 2/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 27: When you have a few moments to kill, what game do you play on your smart phone?

Angry Birds Transformers

@Guindyloo has been, hands down, the most helpful. @malefactus the most inspiring. @Chris Palmer the most motivating (gotta get it done for game!!!).

The classes at ReaperCon are the only ones I've taken, and I don't really care for most video tutorials. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've never taken any classes.  The most I've done is watch some youtube videos, a couple of DVDs, and read a few tutorials.  I don't feel like any of it was an RPG level up, but just part of a continuous process of improvement.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

In rough chronological order:

• The Bones Learn to Paint kits with @Wren's instructions. 
  • The Dark Sword DVD sets (I've only seen the set with Anne Foerster and Jen Haley and the set with Jessica Rich).
  • @Kuro Cleanbrush's classes on blending and NMM at last year's ReaperCon.
  • Like 5