Sign in to follow this  
Painting Miniatures

WyrmGear 77177 Steampunk Dragon

whoo this one took me 10 hours, likely because I am still new at this. Now, I know I could of just painted it as this pretty copper dragon and been happy with that. But this miniature is intended for a random encounter in a D&D campaign where the party encounters the dragon broken up into several dozen pieces then is encouraged to take it home with them and start trying to repair it. Thus the less than perfect paint job, the dirt so on so forth as the pieces are supposed to be dirty. I thought the wings turned out interesting with the black wash.

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

• Like 22

2 hours ago, AutumnHare said:

Really like the black wash.

Thank you, I wasn't sure how that was going to turn out. When it was wet the entire time I was resisting the urge to wipe it off because I was deathly afraid it would ruin the wings. Glad that I didn't because it turned out good but in the moment I was really nervous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Painting Miniatures said:

Thank you, I wasn't sure how that was going to turn out. When it was wet the entire time I was resisting the urge to wipe it off because I was deathly afraid it would ruin the wings. Glad that I didn't because it turned out good but in the moment I was really nervous.

‘Yes, I often hit a point in painting where I think “that doesn’t look bad” but then I decide to make it a little better by adding a wash or another color layer or something.  Then once I start on the addition, the whole mini suddnly reverts to a mess and I can only stare at it and think “oh gods, what have I done??!!” and “how can I fix it?”  But, in the end,it’s almost always a better mini than if I stoped at the “not bad” stage.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AutumnHare said:

‘Yes, I often hit a point in painting where I think “that doesn’t look bad” but then I decide to make it a little better by adding a wash or another color layer or something.  Then once I start on the addition, the whole mini suddnly reverts to a mess and I can only stare at it and think “oh gods, what have I done??!!” and “how can I fix it?”  But, in the end,it’s almost always a better mini than if I stoped at the “not bad” stage.  

Ya that was the second I put the wash on the wings. My brain was screaming $25 mini! argh! Ultimately though the wash did really improve the look. Glad I did it but i was freaking out for a bit there as that was around 6 hours into painting and the very last thing i wanted to do was start over on the wings! :P

• Like 1