virtual mapping software?

Kangaroorex

Hopefully this question hasnt been asked too many times before.  I am running a small game with my family and i want to be able to throw up a map from the modules onto the screen and be able to move virtual icons around on top of the map.  I dont need turn control, i dont really need fog of war, i dont really want anything more than the ability to put Icons on the map and move them around to show where people are.  I also want it to use maps I have in Jpg or png or one of those formats, i dont want to have to build the map each time by hand

The problem is, everything i have found is either too much or not enough.  The drawing programs all require me to create different layers for each player or as soon as i move to the next Icon the last one becomes part of the map.  the tabletop programs all seem to want to assume that each person is taking a separate turn and has partial control, only allowing things to move in a specific order and having to import that information in every battle.  I dont want this level of control.  i have the map and a common screen.

Does anyone have a recommendation?  I would like it to at least be shareware so i can try it and see if i like it before purchase, but other than that, i am open to paying for the software if its what i am looking for.

Thanks for anyones help and time if they can give it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Drive/Docs is what I used to use years ago when I ran a PbP. I had some token images that I'd put into the map, and then I could just click and drag them to wherever I needed them to go.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1LMxKjtwuTkkbWM2yaGp2niYh73z1WLlrCSv7CNp6YGI/edit?usp=sharing

That's the only remaining example of what I used back then. It's set to editable, so you can click and drag stuff however you want to get a feeling for what I'm talking about.

• Thanks 2

Unrelated[?]

I got an email from google telling me that some sort of google+ page I had/might have had/could have created is being shut down. Content would be deleted by April something. 

Would that affect this map thing?

Is google shutting down some other part of its eco-system?

Either of you have any clue what the great-Oz(google) was trying to tell me?

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Unrelated[?]

I got an email from google telling me that some sort of google+ page I had/might have had/could have created is being shut down. Content would be deleted by April something. 

Would that affect this map thing?

Is google shutting down some other part of its eco-system?

Either of you have any clue what the great-Oz(google) was trying to tell me?

Google+ is shutting down because too few people are using it.

Google made it absurdly easy to create a Google+ account almost unawares (for example, they forced you to create one if you wanted to post comments on Youtube). Many people had them inadvertently or didn’t even know they had one.

Now Google is shutting Google+ down and is emailing everyone who ever had an account to alert them.

No other part of Google is affected.

Closure of Google+: everything you need to know

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

No other part of Google is affected.

Well, assuming they fixed whatever broke YouTube last time.... ::P:

But yeah, like was said, it's just Google+ being closed down, their social network that a number of people joined, then totally forgot about despot it being powerful and flexible.  It just didn't have the convenience other systems had, and/or the entrenched user base others already had. 

9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Exactly what i was looking for!

Thanks!

Glad to be of service. I was pretty surprised back in the day about how well it worked when you had an existing map. And you can also use the tools to do a quick and dirty hand drawn one, too if you need to do some impromptu combat or something. 

• Thanks 1

Np. I was using it with Pathfinder PDFs back then. The map I linked was pulled from Wrath of the Righteous, so it's no surprise that it works just as well with Starfinder stuff. If there's one thing that's great about Paizo it's their embracing of PDFs for everything unlike WotC who only use them for old stuff and smaller works.

• Like 1

Okay I am expanding this question out.  with the new restrictions i find myself having to play virtually.  I would rather not have to move all the pieces on an 8 person game.  is there something out there that is recommeded that will let others move pieces around on a PDF or jPg backdrop?  My players are fairly young so some tech skills can be assumed but not particualrly patient with the old fart running the system...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, criticalhit said:

I use Roll20.net for all of my online gaming.

It's simple enough to learn, and the free version has everything that I need to upload maps and push tokens around.

who needs what level if i want to show the map to other remote players and push tokens around.  can i do this at the free level?

41 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

who needs what level if i want to show the map to other remote players and push tokens around.  can i do this at the free level?

You can do all of that for free!

You only need the paid subscription if you want to do fancy stuff like have dynamic lighting for your maps and import/export digital character sheets, which isn't even what you want to do anyway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1