• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/horizonknives/lyra-the-fascinating-titanium-morphing-everyday-carry-knife?ref=user_menu

About
      FULLY FUNDED!! + NEW LOWERED STRETCH GOALS!! 
      Lyra  
      Lyra, inspired by the rhombus shaped constellation of the same name, is a unique morphing EDC knife with the design goal of creating the smallest closed knife possible while still providing a full four finger grip. This is our second morphing knife design and incorporates all of the lessons learned on our first project, the ambitious Eclipse morphing knife, of which we produced over 5000 units. 
      The Lyra is a step up in every way from our first design, incorporating better materials, better finishes, and blade steel. There is much more intricate machining involved in this knife and the complexity of the design along with its unique opening mechanism and shape lend for a really interesting and usable show piece. Despite its creative looks it is in fact a very ergonomic and usable EDC knife.
      Mechanism
      The unique four bar mechanism to open the Lyra is also what gives it its best feature. On a standard folding knife the handle must be the same length as the blade or vice versa. This is a limitation to nano blade knives because generally the handle is equally as small. Most nano sized knives only offer a 1 or 2 finger grip which limits them to very low force cutting tasks. The Lyra does not have this issue. Its closed length is a mere 2” but when opened it has a full 3.2” length handle (4.7" total open length). This allows for a full 4 finger grip, something rarely seen on a nano sized knife and a true no compromises solution!
      Grip
      The benefit of the linkage extension of the Lyra’s handle is apparent by all of the different grips available. The linkages were shaped to create smooth transitions from the handle to the blade and avoid creating any “hot spots” or pressure points when gripping the knife firmly. The result is a secure, comfortable, versatile handle that allows for long periods of continuous use and offering a number of useful grip options to accommodate any task: 
      Blade
      The Lyra has an excellent blade. It’s a Wharncliffe shaped blade which is designed for utility use. It is has a scoop along the top edge that adds a cool style to the blade shape but also acts as an ergonomic finger rest for better control of the blade for better precision in cutting tasks. The best feature of this blade, however, is that it is made of super hard D2 tool steelwhich is one of the absolute hardest and most durable blade steels available having a hardness of 61 HRC. The blade is made from a thick 0.120 inch (3mm) stock so it has a very good rigidity but still maintains very good slicing ability due to its flat ground bevel design. There is even an ample sharpening choil present so you can easily maintain the blade sharpness, should you want to. That said, D2 should maintain a nice useable sharp edge for the life of the knife if using it for everyday standard activities. The black blade is DLC coatedwhich is a super hard, scratch resistant coating found on high end military tactical equipment.
      The Lyra also features a completely protected blade design when closed, so your keys wont be able to hit the blade edge ensuring your knife will remain sharp even when carrying it everyday in a busy pocket. It does this with a specifically machined "U" channel that keeps the blade edge out of harms way.
      Utility
      The Lyra is such a usable little knife given its ergonomic handle and utility blade, it really is meant to be a useful every day carry knife that can do more than just the basic stuff if you need it too. By the way.. the bottle opener was a happy accident.. we didn't intend this to have a built in bottle opener but it ended up being the perfect shape.
        -----------------
      I already have their earlier Coin-shaped knife, and it is pretty interesting. 
      (I mostly use it to cut open packages)
      EDC: EveryDay Carry. A knife that according to the TSA's rules should be allowed to in your carry-on lugage, and that the police won't lock you up for carrying on the street. 
      (Not that I'd take the risk with the cost of these knives)
      I expect this new one to be even more useful.
    • By Sylverthorne
      So.. this is happening.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1141913215/mech-cockpit-simulator

I'm not sure what I can say about this that isn't said on the page; other than it looks like a sheet management toy that could be a lot of fun to mess with.

I'll let you guys judge effectiveness for yourselves. ;p
    • By animesensei
      Dwarven Forge is doing a smaller kickstarter in June.  It's a pseudo sequel to their Caverns Deep line (which was their 6th kickstarter, aka KS6), KS6.66 - Hellscape.  This is different than their 7th Kickstarter - Wildlands which will be outdoor themed (trees and such) in Jan 2020.

Many of you have been asking for smaller Kickstarters that are more digestible. So we're going to try it! We are going to launch a small, two-week KS with a limited scope. Best of all, it's happening very soon -- KS6.66 - Hellscape will launch in late June 2019! As the name implies, the lava-based project will focus on the fiery wasteland the fiends of the Nine Hells inhabit. The collection will consist of a small number of new sculpts as well as some repaints of some Caverns Deep pieces.

EDIT:  It start on June 16th (Father's Day in the US)
    • By joshuaslater
      These savages are on Kickstarter.  My first Kickstarter!  There are all kinds of add ons lurking in here too.  Thanks Reaper for providing this forum! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie?ref=creator_nav

• Who's Online   33 Members, 1 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)