Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
2nd mini painted this weekend for Paint Club. I admit this one posed some interesting challenges that I'm not super thrilled about. Most of that is related to the lack of details to really draw out, but it also highlights my lack of ability to know how to help highlight that muddled scuplt.
* Majority of Blink being armor made the choice for colors fairly easy. I once again used the combo of the Gunmetal and Aluminum as the pairing. I like it!
* The purple and red seem to be an okay choice for the only real two tones in this model, but I'd like a bit more color. Still a win.
* I really went back around 4 times to fix the skin. I found that there were some mold lines I didn't quite scrape off that frustrated me, but even so the colors seem okay. Reaper send me a SAMPLE color that's like THE COLOR of flesh that works in a pinkish hue that I love. LOVE.
* The checkering I added to the helm seems to be a fun detail and helps bring out some of the helmet forward.
* I used black ink to do black-lining which helped show separation between all of the plates. Win!
* Eyes came out great. I wanted to go back and add that little sparkle in the corner of the eye, but I think we all know that one-step-too-far we all can take when it's good enough and then it gets screwed up. Holding back was the way to go.
* Trying a lot harder to work the hair with highlights. Did a brown base, lined with brown liner between the strands, then highlighted with brown sand. Works? I think so.
* The dark lining I end up with around the eyes needs to be drawn back further. I can't seem to get around that. It was really present around my Lysette work and shows up strong in this one, too. Wah wah.
* I tried using brown liner to bring out the detail in the plates. Wasn't strong enough and too runny in its medium, so I had to swap to black ink.
* Not sure I'm a fan of the shield mix of tones with Gunmetal and Aluminium. I think I need input there from y'all.
* The horsehair helmet with purple and red...may have been a bit much. Color recommendations?
* I liked using a pinkish color for that vial hanging on her belt, but is it too bright?
Overall, this little model was not the easiest due to the carve of the model. I do think that this was a great test to see how I could add to it, but still so much to learn on improving things like this with more free hand.
This is a vintage mini, Grenadier Dragonman Sorcerer, I got it from a BOGW a few years ago.
I will use him as a Demon Officer in my Children of the Grave army, because I think he looks a bit like a classic Demon.
From the first Bones kickstarter:
I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven. These Bones are mainly painted with Contrast Paints for speed.
This is 77119 Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress.
It was part of the "Bedevilled" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.
Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. 25mm base.
The Skin is Flesh Tearers Red Contrast with a careful drybrush of thinned Citadel Wazdakka Red Layer on. The Gold is Vallejo Necro Gold and old Chestnut Ink.
I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven.
This was painted mainly with the so-called "one and done" method; a single coat of Citadel Contrast paints on a white undercoat, apart from a few details in regular paint, such as the sword and belt buckle done in metals and the whites of the eyeballs. Some black used for blacklining around some of the edges and Vallejo Sand Yellow for the hair.
The rim of the base needs a second coat of black.
77164 Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard.
Sculpted by Derek Schubert. 25mm base.
It was part of the "Half Sized Heroes" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.
Who's Online 11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)