Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Mori Tries Making Fancy Bases

Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:

- Completely covered giant base.

- No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.

- Water with a "live" edge!

- The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:

- Plain, round, smaller base.

- Rocks from his original base are staying.

- Probably no water.

- He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

IMG_20190206_110906058.jpg

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that. :lol:  Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!

• Like 17

Much base. Such fancy. Keep up the exceptional work, Fren. Keep them pictures coming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No luck on the distilled water or droppers. It is a very tiny store. I'm just gonna go with filtered tap water (yes that's different than distilled) and empty a little bottle of expired eye solution. Apparently it's been at least 3 years since I've had contacts!

Like the videos, I did a layer of baking soda (I forgot the sand) over PVA glue to give the next layer a texture to grab on.

IMG_20190206_125734865.jpg

Then I made a glob of cheap craft paint, modeling paste, baked dirt, and old herbs for the ruins rocky forest that's just a rock I'll need to do something about that now.

The next glob had more dirt than herbs for most of the forest pond base. I added baking soda and more paint to what was left to create a smoother texture for the bottom of the pond. I also added a small strip of cork in front and under the base layer because I like complicating projects.

IMG_20190206_132731866.jpg

Finally, I glued some twigs and rocks to each base. Rocky forest got larger, craggy rocks and twigs. Forest pond got small twigs and tiny, smoother rocks of varying sizes. More globby stuff was added to bury larger pieces into the base and finish out the edges of the round base.pixlr_20190206140855456.jpg

A green thumbs up for a high energy day! Wooo! I'll need to let this dry before I go any further.

image.thumb.png.aa0886346e919a4db80aac67327d7e37.png

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 21

I can no longer count the number of times I've watch/re-watched PaeperCuts videos.  They're packed with so much info, and his humor is right up my alley.

I've been working through my own learning curve for the diorama I plan to enter at ReaperCon.  Mixed up both of his scenery glue recipies this past weekend, and pinned up a tree while I watched a webinar this morning...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:

- Completely covered giant base.

- No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.

- Water with a "live" edge!

- The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:

- Plain, round, smaller base.

- Rocks from his original base are staying.

- Probably no water.

- He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

IMG_20190206_110906058.jpg

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that. :lol:  Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!

Paepercuts is who I watched for the swampy stuff! It was so super helpful! 

I can't wait to see what you cook up! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clearman said:

I can no longer count the number of times I've watch/re-watched PaeperCuts videos.  They're packed with so much info, and his humor is right up my alley.

I've been working through my own learning curve for the diorama I plan to enter at ReaperCon.  Mixed up both of his scenery glue recipies this past weekend, and pinned up a tree while I watched a webinar this morning...

Thanks again! I need to check out the tree stuff too. I had a few of my own ideas but it's highly likely his are way better. :lol:

2 hours ago, Marineal said:

Paepercuts is who I watched for the swampy stuff! It was so super helpful! 

I can't wait to see what you cook up! 

Yessss! I saw your WIP and was like, "hmm that looks familiar...." I loved that the shape of your project reminded me of a barn swallow nest until you started adding more pieces.

• Like 4

The baking soda looks like it is working well!

Way back when I needed to texture some walls on a wizard's tower I was building. We were out of fine sand so I tried using powdered Nestea. It worked! It was just enough texture to catch a very light drybrush without making the tower walls look all bumpy, like someone glued sand all over them or something...

I bet your bases are going to turn out great!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, GHarris said:

powdered Nestea.

Nestea! That's amazing haha. A favorite thing about this hobby is seeing how friends can turn everyday objects into something completely different.

--

I rushed the photos since I was running behind but they came out blurry. So here are some earlier photos--pretend that the gray primer on the ground has been coated in varying shades of brown craft paint!

Forest pond Blightfang on the left. Rocky forest Narthrax on the right.

pixlr_20190207190628416.jpg

I got really excited about adding all these little bits and how the primer made everything seem cohesive, soooooo. I kinda got started on Ma'al's base. I did the same steps as before. I'll be sure to keep a few steps behind on Ma'al! The "logs" on Ma'al's base (left) were clipped from my rose bush, and the "trunk" on Blightfang's (right) was made with green stuff. I used a bit of leftover modeling paste to daub some shelf fungus on both.

pixlr_20190207190914505.jpg

I'll be mini camping this weekend, but hopefully I can get more progress next week! I'm waiting on my new little leaf punch, too. ^_^ 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 14

I made lots of tiny leaves! I painted some coffee filters with very watered down craft paint in various colors, let them dry, and used a leaf punch!

IMG_20190208_164341538.thumb.jpg.9d6ec71ed8715ec57ddfca4660bab171.jpg

I bought the tiniest maple size because I thought they would make good ivy. I bought the "normal" mixed size punch (in fall colors here) for general use, and the super small mixed punch to use with Ma'al to make him look even bigger!

I mixed cinnamon, a bit of fine dirt, and modeling paste to make a large amount of moss for Ma'al's base. That stuff is everywhere in the rainforest. I slopped it on generously because moss isn't picky about location when it's always shady and humid.

IMG_20190207_184153409.thumb.jpg.39e56457728a51967e862e31d3e0df57.jpg

I started trying out different pieces on the bases! I didn't have any of the other stuff paepercut had so I just did my own thing. :) I'll paint them tomorrow and see how I feel about the various decorations. It should help me figure out what stuff should work for Ma'al.

Blightfang: summery pond.

IMG_20190211_181654789_HDR.thumb.jpg.4337dc74967907210b9e892e80bb7a4e.jpg

Narthrax: rocky forest in fall.

IMG_20190211_181755146_HDR.thumb.jpg.b9f3521dee8c05fe7bdcec5f55b16018.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

OUTSTANDING! You have a real flair for it. I can see WONDROUS bases in your future...need any Mushrooms/mushrooms?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Clearman said:

Making much more progress than I have.  Work has really cut into my hobby time the last week. 

I hate when that happens!

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

OUTSTANDING! You have a real flair for it. I can see WONDROUS bases in your future...need any Mushrooms/mushrooms?

Oh my goodness, really?! That would be amazing, I would love that!! :wub:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Oh my goodness, really?! That would be amazing, I would love that!! :wub:

As you wish...PM sent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1