Latex caulk for bases?

Okay, I had a weird thought last night [not really unusual, but that's a different topic entirely] and wondered if anyone has tried to use the latex caulk that comes in tubes to just fill in on the gaps that occur on using bases on minis with a small pad on the bottom. I know paint won't stick to silicon, but will stick to the latex stuff. When I went to look, mine had dried up, so I will need to get some more before experimenting, but wondered if anyone else had used this?

• Like 3

Some thoughts on latex caulk:

- It's never going to be as hard and solid as green stuff or whatever would be.  A fingernail or pencil poking it could leave marks.  This may or may not be a problem for you.

- I always get way too much caulk everywhere and it can be a real pain to clean up.  I would not want to use it for gap filling unless I transferred it to some other dispensing device.  (Cake decorating bag, perhaps?)

- eventually (years and years from now) it can shrink a bit and give you cracks.  

I'd use it on cheap terrain projects, but for the amount you need there's plenty of affordable options.  Sawdust or sand mixed with glue could work with much less hassle and give you a nice texture for painting.  But hey, that's just my opinion, and I 100% admit I hate working with caulk.  

• Like 5

I'm not entirely clear on your question:

34 minutes ago, Corsair said:

wondered if anyone has tried to use the latex caulk that comes in tubes to just fill in on the gaps that occur on using bases on minis with a small pad on the bottom.

Do you mean to fill in the slot on a slotta base? Or the gaps that might occur between the bottom of a mini and the base after you glue it down?

27 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

- I always get way too much caulk everywhere and it can be a real pain to clean up.  I would not want to use it for gap filling unless I transferred it to some other dispensing device.  (Cake decorating bag, perhaps?)

- eventually (years and years from now) it can shrink a bit and give you cracks.  

Phrasing... my inner child is giggling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmmm, I've never tried using any type of caulking for that. Apart from the issues with shrinking and eventually wearing down, I don't see why it can't be done though. It's very similar to Vallejo's Plastic Putty, which has similar shrinking issues if its used on too wide of a gap.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out?

As a side note, I typically use wood filler putty in this situation. Never had issues. It typically gets buried under ballast/glue/sealers, so I haven't had a problem with chipping.

• Like 5

Clear silicon caulking (and other materials) can be used to make your own gelatinous cube (and other slimy clearish things)...

DSC06558.jpg

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/39378-gelatinous-cube/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnu9E8OwAQ

https://www.pinterest.com/cheever8/mini-gelatinous-cubes-other-slimes-oozes/?lp=true

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 5

If you opt for the wood filler, be sure to use it in a well ventilated area; re, the fumes are toxic.

Lately I have been using Testor's Contour Putty to fill gaps/holes/cracks. It does a nice job, trims easily, & dries quickly. You can get it from Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Thanks! Will check it out at Hobby Lobby, love that place!

I have become a Hobby Lobby fan myself. They are wonderful to order from online.

This is what the stuff looks like...Tamiya also make it, but I haven't tried theirs out yet:

DSCN7644.thumb.JPG.0c7d005388732210c9be7a90b7e5c36d.JPG

I got both from Hobby Lobby.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1