Last year @Pochi painted me a barbarian as an exchange fig. (located here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80953-spring-exchange-brand-oathblood/&tab=comments#comment-1717270).

More specifically she painted me a barbarian inspired by the song Holy Diver by Dio (I tend to put odd things for inspiration in me exchange forms).

I liked him so much that I based my current 5th Ed. character off of the fig.  Now Pochi's fig is far too precious (my precious!!) to go on the gaming table, so I've been using a bare Bones version with the intent of painting him "any day now".

Now that we've hit 7th level, I'm actually getting around to paint something.  But, since I need him for the weekly game, I'm painting an alternate version first, then I'll swap figs and work on the Brand Oathblood version.

So I'm starting with 77373: Cuth Wolfson, Barbarian.

replacement_axe.jpg.fb9778f82621f37835d83aef0a45ae29.jpg

This will depict Dio wielding his mighty great axe, Eloise.

Now Cuth's default axe was a touch....limp, so I dug out the Bones III weapons pack and picked a nice stiff replacement.

axe_on.jpg.30c909b559a7eb78418bba0a52cb6deb.jpg

Much better.  Now just a little putty to fill in the gap and he'll be ready for his bath before linering.

• Like 13

Managed to squeeze in a bit of painting.

Threw on some brown liner last night.

brown_liner.jpg.ed818c3fcb93e62f28a894bae57d1751.jpg

Cleaned up some of the worst mold lines, and tried to do something with whatever happened to his right hand.
Then some base coats. 

some_basecoats_front.jpg.238561b2534717dfae128c13ee4d3cf6.jpgsome_basecoats_back.jpg.b44e94869286dc6a2baf5489f4de5441.jpg

Trying out the bronze skin triad.

Lots of browns.  Not sure if I should make the furs grey or something or if keeping it all brown makes more sense.

• Like 12

On 2/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Cleaned up some of the worst mold lines, and tried to do something with whatever happened to his right hand.

It's like he's wearing an oven mitt with real fingers and all of the pad is attached to his right index finger.  I tried to use paint to hide it.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Lots of browns.  Not sure if I should make the furs grey or something or if keeping it all brown makes more sense.

As long as the colors are distinct enough at arm's length, leaving everything brown should be fine.  Making the furs grey may increase contrast between them and his belt.

• Like 3

Well, our missing party member should now be back from Florida, so I expect we are back to 5th Ed. this week, so I guess I'd better get this guy done.

After watching this week's Reaper Live, I was motivated to get working on his skin, and ended up using most of both the Bronzed Skin and Tanned Skin triads.

Unfortunately the pics killed the contrast a bit, but I'm pretty happy with how the skin went, as human skin is not my strong suit...

skin_done_front.jpg.1b816eabd38e0f322652790ccd5cf2bf.jpgskin_done_back.jpg.443ae70ded2b057a8ce63b3eaf625e67.jpg

Hopefully I can get a couple more sessions in and get him finished in time to seal before Monday night.

• Like 8

And I think he's read to get sealed this afternoon.

metals_done_front.jpg.d19e957e1ea490ae6b17b2fd3cad5c8a.jpgmetals_done_back.jpg.c49d8d69f99b4e189994bbdd213a8db3.jpg

I think he came out decent for what was supposed to be a speed paint. Probably 4-5 hours total on him (not counting prep and weapon swap).

I should probably roll up a backup character. Now that I've got a painted fig I'm sure robinh will find a way to kill him off.....

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cicciopiu
      Hello again forum family, I keep my purple period rolling on :D
      This time wanna share with you my version of Eilluvasheth. Beingi n my purple phase the dominant color is purple, and what's better than a gold armor to complement it?
      So I've tried to paint it in NMM to challenge me as NMM is out of my comfort zone. Still I'm trying to figure out where to place the shines and to maximize the contrast, but in the end I'm pretty happy of her, also considering that this lady is full of tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny details 
      Also i'm trying to pump the shadows instead of the hi-lights to maximize the purple contrast, just to avoid it to look pink.

Hope you'll like her :)

Now, nipples are covered in armor, but to avoid mods to delete the pics, I'll link the front one.

Hi-Res Front Picture
      Hi-Res Back picture

As always every c&c is more than welcome.
      Thank you for watching
    • By spitfire23bc
      'Tis the season! I posted this a while ago before is got paint on him. Santac'Laus has featured in the Christmas one-shot games I've run for the last couple of years (and this year is no exception). He's gone from villain to lovable (but weird) friend, who rides a manta-ray-shaped sleigh, pulled by a team of beholders. 

If you're one of my players, please don't read the spoiler!

The hat, sack and present were all made with green stuff. The snow was made with snow powder mixed with water effects. 

• By Cicciopiu
      Hello forum family, I wanna share with ya all my most recent fatigue: Marthragul!
      I was in doubt if painting it into a realistical Earth dragon, or something more colourful... The Magenta won! :D 
      And I chose to don't cut corners, so no drybrush, no washes, no feathering... just dear, old layering, shading and glazing 
      ...cause I'm a fast painter, as you know 

And, yeah! This took me almost a month of at least two hours per day... basically I hate this dragon now 

Enough talking, time for pics :D

I really hope you like it, if you have any question do not hesitate :)
      As always every C&C is more than welcome.
      Thank you :)
    • By izzylobo
      So, let's get this show on the road, shall we. 
      I have been... remiss... in actually documenting the painting I've been doing. Partially because this has mostly been utter speed painting of the "get paint on Bonesium so it doesn't all look the same from six feet away" variety, partly various other reasons. 

But today is Paintsgiving (my parents live in Texas. I do not. Hence...). So I have a little time. And some projects I want to get completed before Sunday (the next session of the high-level D&D5e game I play in - we're talking high level here, folks. The party currently includes a Chosen of Tymora, a halfling wizard whose next goal after we're done with this is to overthrow the Maharajah of the City of Brass, and become a Demigod of Fire... etc.) - currently our endgame for this story arc is shanking Lolth (or "she who will not be named" because we're not interested in drowing (drawing, but I liked the typo, so I left it...) her attention) and freeing the dark elven people from her bullcrap. 

So, the first set of "finish these" are - 

Deena Halentyr, Chosen of Tymora and her Sixth Dagger (one of Tymora's secret agents), and default leader of the band of adventurers known as Calculated Risk ("Our opponents have always taken a risk that was calculated... but they have also always been bad at math". Human, but currently taking on the aspect of one of Tymora's Solars (with her permission, and the help of a True Polymorph).

Solars are supposed to be Large, but none of the minis I looked at really fit the bill besides the Angel of Shadow (especially not the Bones Solar, which is a pretty cool mini... but is about the beariest Bear that ever beared... and Deena is definitely not that. In fact pretty much the opposite - Deena is the femmiest Femme that ever looked at another woman and said "she's really cute."

So, colors - Blues and silver were pretty much required - first, I love them, second, Tymora's colors run to blues and silvers, and third, Deena had already been noted (manymany sessions ago) as preferring them even before she took up Fortune's Coin. Her wings are (very) roughly based on the lipstick lesbian pride flag - but I stuck to only three colors (a dark red, a dark pink/rose, and a light pink/white) because with six the wings would be too busy, and the numbering doesn't match up - whereas with three, the wings start at the tips with red, and end at the base with red. Her skin will be a dark tan, her boots will probably be chocolate with some bright lacing, and the lantern will probably be my first half-serious attempt at some OSL. The rest of her wings will be some shades of blue - likely starting darker at the top and working my way down. Her eyes are heterochromatic, and she's a Higher Being (right now), so one will be bright green (solid) and the other bright blue (same). Hair got roughly blocked in with red ink, which should give everyone an idea of what her hair color is... 

I'm unsure what to do with shading for her - I don't want to just use one of the Army Painter quickshades, or something from GW, because I'm concerned it will draw the color down too far (and then I'll have to spend too much time bringing it back up again - which, honestly, is work I always hate (re-)doing - "I already painted this once, and now I have to redo it?!?!") I'm considering using one of the red inks I have (Army Painter red tone, or Reaper Red Liner/ink) but I'm not sure how well that would work? 

Deena's Familiar/Patronus/best friend, Bastia. She's a Tressym (theoretically - she's actually a Spirit of Tymora, but everyone mostly ignores this fact because she's adorable and cute and very much the epitome of "what if a cat had wings and an IQ of 110?"). Stones will be stonelike. Her body will probably be a sort of dark-grey-ish color, with slightly darker in the wing membranes, and a lighter shade on the ruffs in her fur. Like Deena's eyes, hers are heterochromatic - blue and green. 

Did we mention that one of Bastia's powers is she can get bigger? She can get bigger, and spoopier. The miniature is Ral Partha (now produced by Iron Wind Metals) Winged Panther. I'm likely to use Reaper's glorious Nightmare Black for her (I will be so sad when I run out of this) - a dark grey for the inside of her ears, something like silver for her claws (her attacks are magical in this form), and, again, blue and green eyes. If I was feeling really inspired (and had more time), I'd try and do a starscape effect on her wings, but, I'd rather learn something like that on minis I don't care about...

Garrius is a Triton Paladin! He is Very Loud and Forthright, and sometimes Not Very Bright, because INT was his dump stat! He has No Fashion Sense Whatsoever! Deena is very fond of Garrius, even if he's a blooming idiot, because he's a very honest blooming idiot who is actually fairly self-aware (low INT, decent WIS). This... is not my finest work, at all. I'm painting directly onto Bonesium because that's how the player started with him, and I didn't want to strip off all of his work and start over, but I also wanted the mini to actually have paint on it - so this is sort of a mercy painting. "Has no fashion sense whatsoever" and "has lots and lots of money, and not much idea what to do with it" sort of runs the show, here - Garrius is bright and bold and clashing, and has made a lot of clothiers very wealthy with his gullibility...

Iron Trumpet wants to be immortal, and wants to be a god. For someone who is as smart as he is, he sometimes needs to be reminded that the latter mostly encompasses the former (as much as one can in the Forgotten Realms). He's not evil... per se... but to a degree this is only because he hangs around with (and is slightly scared of) Deena, who has tried very hard to keep him (and most of the rest of Calculated Risk, who lean in the main towards  self-interested/not quite Dark Side in alignment... ) on, if not the straight (yeah, right...) and narrow, at least targeted at people where if they end up dead, it makes the world a better place (so, red wizards, evil giants and dragons, evil ifrit lords, Lolthite priestesses, and the like). Iron's mini was a combination of "Iron needs a mini" and "hey, that one is kinda cool, and fiery halflings... who does this remind me of" - the sculpt is neat, the priming on this one actually wasn't bad. 
    • By Lord of the Dish Pit
      Started on these a while ago, and they didn't need much touching up so they're my first victories on the Thanksgiving Challenge.

I'm keeping the bases simple as eventually I'll be doing a full Middenheimer warband for Mordheim.

The wolf cloaks match fairly well with the Middenheimer champion I already have.

He seems to be enjoying the company of his new friends.

• Who's Online   26 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)