What happened to Reaper's Customer Service?

Guest MSduPre

Guest MSduPre

Used to be the best. It's what they built their reputation on (along with great minis). But now:

Replies are curt, unfriendly, and unhelpful. Not outright rude, but not at all like they used to be.

No more Boneyard. Even without the Boneyard, you used to be able to special-order parts and pieces. But now, "No. You must order what is on our site."

No more special-ordering of out of production pieces. OoP at Reaper used to mean not currently in primary distribution to dealers, but still available for special order. But now means "No. That is no longer available."

I understand they've grown, and so has their product line. But when you've succeeded because people like and trust you, by doing great things and treating your customers right, you don't want to change those things. Or you're not going to continue to succeed. I know you're busy. But make a little extra effort. Hire a couple of more people if you need to. But don't alienate and anger your loyal customers. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between Out of Production pieces and No Longer in Catalog items.  NLiC can still be ordered and are in the web store.  OOP/Out of License items won't be available once their time has passed. This has always been the case, ever since the #10003 Dragons Don't Share went OOP back in the 90's. 

• Like 5

Guest MSduPre

I'm not really interested in debating the semantics of the marketing terminology. The fact is that one used to be able to order older minis which were no longer listed in the catalogue, unless there was a special reason why not, i.e., they'd sold or lost the license, or it was a special run like the holiday Sophies and the one you cited. I know because I have done it before, and it was common knowledge. See this post, for instance, as evidence. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/33118-oop-vs-discontinued/

You CAN still order older minis not in the catalog distributors get.  Only discontinued or special run items are gone.  Semantics or not, it is exactly as it has always been and the post you give as evidence confirms this 100%.

• Like 6

I'd like to also point out that Reaper is currently working on the acquisition, sorting and organizing of the Bones 4 Kickstarter, which begins in like a month or so. They're a small operation and likely drowning in crap to do, on top of the orders they're receiving as part of their new Bones Black promos. 

• Like 2

Please understand any company, Reaper included, stays in business by selling their product. If they were able, they certainly would. That's not poor customer service to have to tell someone that they cannot produce one. If I wish Smith and Wesson to produce a revolver they stopped making and they tell me that they no longer make it, it is regrettable, but it is a sad fact that I missed out. Molds wear out, licenses expire, etc. It is also time consuming [read expensive] to change over machines for new production, doing so for just one mini would be totally cost prohibitive.

• Like 4

Guest MSduPre
44 minutes ago, Harrek said:

You CAN still order older minis not in the catalog distributors get.  Only discontinued or special run items are gone.  Semantics or not, it is exactly as it has always been and the post you give as evidence confirms this 100%.

No, it is not exactly like it's always been.

A couple, or maybe a few, years ago, the Reaper site listed every miniature from the Dark Heaven line, starting at 2001. Some of them said "Out of Stock", but you could still email and request them. Maybe you'd have to wait a bit, but you could get it. This was one of the things I loved about Reaper: no, "Get it now before it's gone!" nonsense, except with a very few things like holiday specials. And the Boneyard was functioning, and you could buy one piece or one figure from a multi-part pack. Now, the ones which are <whatever you want to call it> don't even show up if you run a search specifically for their product number, like they never existed.

Perhaps this is because, at that time, none of the DHL line was "discontinued" <or whatever you want to call it>, and now they are. If so, then that, I guess is what I'm disappointed in. But it still leaves the issues of the boneyard and the quality of service.

I’m sorry, is there some figure from the Dark Heaven line you were especially looking for?

The last I heard most of them were still available on special order. It might help to know what you are looking for.

• Like 3

Guest MSduPre

Thank you for your courtesy. 

That was what I thought too, just what you said, that most of them were available for special order; and what I had taken to be the general understanding. Some web stores who sell Reaper even have this explicitly stated on their listings (Miniature Giant, for example). But I was told that it is no longer the case, hence my surprise and disappointment.

What I was looking for was some of the older Sandra Garrity orcs, for building encounter groups. (I find the orcs by the other sculptors too cartoonish for my taste, and not a good match for the Garrity ones.) It's not the end of the world that I can't get them, and I'll probably live. I guess I just posted here to see if others had similar experiences of disappointment in the quality of service, or if this was an isolated incident.

I just saw your quote: "There can be no disappointment where there is not deep love." That is exactly it. I have always been so happy with Reaper, and so pleased with their enthusiasm, friendliness, and willingness to make the extra effort, that this came as a bit of a shock.

Edited by MSduPre
grammar

There are srill some Sandra Garrity orcs for sale in the store.These, for example. (The page is from a “Garrity orcs” search term so you can click through where it says “next” and you can see the next item in the search. Looks like there are five sets and about a dozen individuals.)

I can see why you find them appealing. They look sinister in an old school way, very different from today’s fashions in orcs.

I’ve found the crew at Reaper to be pretty accommodating on the whole, but they are very busy right now. I’m sorry if you’ve had a frustrating experience, and I hope you can find what you need.

• Like 4

Guest MSduPre

Thanks. The ones, specifically, that I wanted but couldn't get, were from 6015, one of the Army Packs. http://www.miniature-giant.com/orc-warriors-of-kargir-4-oop-Reaper-Dark-Heaven-Legends-Armies-DHL-sku-6015-pr-1195.html. I wrote to ask if I could a) buy just the Garrity orcs from that pack or, if not, then b) special-order the whole pack. What I really wanted to do was use these very unique models as bases for customs, taking the weapon hands of other orc models and attaching them. Also, the orc rider from the giant scorpion, whom I like to mount on a warg, as orc cavalry (or lupery, I suppose). Don't want to pay for multiple (kind of expensive) giant scorpions which I'm never going to use.

49 minutes ago, MSduPre said:

No, it is not exactly like it's always been.

A couple, or maybe a few, years ago, the Reaper site listed every miniature from the Dark Heaven line, starting at 2001. Some of them said "Out of Stock", but you could still email and request them. Maybe you'd have to wait a bit, but you could get it. This was one of the things I loved about Reaper: no, "Get it now before it's gone!" nonsense, except with a very few things like holiday specials. And the Boneyard was functioning, and you could buy one piece or one figure from a multi-part pack. Now, the ones which are <whatever you want to call it> don't even show up if you run a search specifically for their product number, like they never existed.

Perhaps this is because, at that time, none of the DHL line was "discontinued" <or whatever you want to call it>, and now they are. If so, then that, I guess is what I'm disappointed in. But it still leaves the issues of the boneyard and the quality of service.

Per the official Reaper response in the link you posted. this is not true.  Out of Stock is not discontinued also.  So make sure you have your phrasing correct.  They would and still do make Out of Stock to order when you order them.  I have done that many times by ordering from the online store or in person figures like this that they cast right then.  They were even still warm and unable to be blister packed!

As for bone yard, this was a nightmare to support on their end and why they have stopped it.  If you searched here you would have found plenty of official info this as well.

As for quality of service, Reaper is pretty much lauded industry wide as being at the top of customer service.  Hard to say in your case as I have no idea what or how you worded your question.  If anything like here I might not be surprised at an answer.  And as pointed out, if the answer is a simple response, don't be surprised to get a simple response.

7 minutes ago, MSduPre said:

Thanks. The ones, specifically, that I wanted but couldn't get, were from 6015, one of the Army Packs. http://www.miniature-giant.com/orc-warriors-of-kargir-4-oop-Reaper-Dark-Heaven-Legends-Armies-DHL-sku-6015-pr-1195.html. I wrote to ask if I could a) buy just the Garrity orcs from that pack or, if not, then b) special-order the whole pack. What I really wanted to do was use these very unique models as bases for customs, taking the weapon hands of other orc models and attaching them. Also, the orc rider from the giant scorpion, whom I like to mount on a warg, as orc cavalry (or lupery, I suppose). Don't want to pay for multiple (kind of expensive) giant scorpions which I'm never going to use.

I do see one of those orcs as available to order when I look at their website.

• Like 2