Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Xiwo Xerase

77057: Juliette, Female Sorceress

Recommended Posts

What if you moved the warmth into the highlights near the tip of her nose, and then used a cooler shadow color for the bridge near her brow? You could put warmer shadows near her nostrils to punch up the contrast.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm about done with her nose.

 

20516252_2019031077057OffsetHalf.jpg.cb073d74f26cd9b42bf8b2f5349f33c7.jpg1265145944_2019031077057FrontHalf.thumb.jpg.b70b892b790b054a8787ceca75bafbb2.jpg2002039784_2019031077057LeftHalf.thumb.jpg.942bd071c13cbfd881d6bf13e62a6666.jpg

(click on the pictures for larger versions)

 

I painted her nose with my shadow color (1:1 Youthful Flesh:Rosy Shadow) to bring it to the same color and then highlighted her nose and nostrils using Fair Highlight.  Between this and fixing the lining for the inside of her right eye, I think her nose is looking much better.   I'm considering using a very small amount of Linen White to bring up the highlights further but that's the limit of what I'm considering doing.

 

I also fixed up her sleeve and tried to reset her hands so I can approach shading them when I get there.  I should do the NMM on the scroll case caps first.

 

I've also worn away a lot of the primer around her base moving her from my painting handle to the photography setup.  I'll need to fix that when I'm at a point I'm not taking pictures since I'll need to use soap to wash away finger oils.  Maybe, in the future, I should paint and seal the rim of the base first (although that'll mean the figure spends about a week waiting for primer/paint/sealer to dry/cure before I can take pictures).

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how I said I was going to do the scroll case caps in NMM?  I decided against it and painted them ivory instead.  I figure this will be easier to clean up if I make a mistake working on her hand.

 

1269810646_2019031477057OffsetHalf.thumb.jpg.3333d356bbecf11c9fe85ba17fb7b88e.jpg586160429_2019031477057FrontHalf.jpg.0598afb88e69343f00b080a052b5fe26.jpg978596464_2019031477057LeftHalf.jpg.56c588a5e44bbf418724cbe0e1472951.jpg77945466_2019031477057BackHalf.jpg.ddb16a9f96f71662c5e486ff4b504d65.jpg1741829826_2019031477057RightHalf.jpg.7c7e4e4d764eb474322bf5eef3de381c.jpg

(click on the pictures for larger versions)

 

The crack in the lower cap (which might be a mold issue) is a little severe.  That should probably get lightened up a little.

 

After that, hands, then the ground, then finishing touches?  Anything else to be addressed?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shadow under her butt, defining her legs, is too harsh, and needs to be smoothed out. Aside from that, she's stellar! 

 

Her nose is looking really good. No need to keep worrying about it :) 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 1:35 AM, Cyradis said:

The shadow under her butt, defining her legs, is too harsh, and needs to be smoothed out. Aside from that, she's stellar! 

Thanks!  How does it look now?

 

2026766741_2019031877057OffsetHalf.jpg.04a53b10fa59d2b4a909a63d47150a06.jpg2070656434_2019031877057FrontHalf.thumb.jpg.de38e3ffca6863539818b5ba5d2b0c5e.jpg927810049_2019031877057LeftHalf.thumb.jpg.558e41ddc22b907146665f9cd746645d.jpg1717124941_2019031877057BackHalf.thumb.jpg.cf8e44977cb2784f45daa7d777683643.jpg355054821_2019031877057RightHalf.thumb.jpg.339f0b72b6e68d0a6e2c66663b7eedbb.jpg

(click on the pictures for larger versions)

 

I also worked on her hands, including trying to give her polished fingernails.  (I tried a more natural hue but it didn't show up well.  Maybe I should skip fingernails in the future?)

 

I also worked a little on her base.  I'll hold off on adding vegetation until I'm done painting.

 

Does anyone see anything to be addressed before I call her done?  (Well, other than priming and painting the rim of her base.)

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 3:11 AM, Cyradis said:

The bum-shadow is excellent now!

Agreed. I'm loving the color choices here, and the shadows on the dress are excellent. And it's probably TMI, but bum shadows are some of my favorite shadows to paint.

 

Now that I see it written out, it's definitely TMI.

No doubt about it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love her! You've done some really nice work here.

 

For eyes, your description of your process makes it sound like you're dotting eyes by holding the brush perpendicular to the eye and pushing the point straight in, rather than holding the brush at a shallow angle to the eye and pulling, like a normal brush-stroke. Is that accurate?

 

If so (if not, just ignore the next two paragraphs), you're doing what a lot of painters do, and I think it makes eyes harder. By pushing the point toward the surface, you either have so little paint on your brush that it dried before you get to the eye, or you run the risk of pushing too hard (easy to do, because depth perception isn't actually great for tiny things) and flooding the eye with paint.

 

If you use just the tip of a very sharp brush to pull the paint into place, you can actually have a fully loaded brush and avoid the dry paint problem, while still controlling the flow and not flooding the eye. It does mean you'll tend to get triangles of Iris rather than dots, but you can also paint in the whites this way. It will require some back and forth with white and iris, and practice, but I found it's actually a faster and more accurate technique once I got the hang of it.

 

I really love the reds on her, and I totally agree with the consensus that you've done the bum-shadow proud!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 3:11 AM, Cyradis said:

The bum-shadow is excellent now!

 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:44 PM, Slatejunco said:

Agreed. I'm loving the color choices here, and the shadows on the dress are excellent.

Thanks!

 

On 3/20/2019 at 11:28 PM, Sanael said:

I really love her! You've done some really nice work here.

 

For eyes, your description of your process makes it sound like you're dotting eyes by holding the brush perpendicular to the eye and pushing the point straight in, rather than holding the brush at a shallow angle to the eye and pulling, like a normal brush-stroke. Is that accurate?

 

If so (if not, just ignore the next two paragraphs), you're doing what a lot of painters do, and I think it makes eyes harder. By pushing the point toward the surface, you either have so little paint on your brush that it dried before you get to the eye, or you run the risk of pushing too hard (easy to do, because depth perception isn't actually great for tiny things) and flooding the eye with paint.

 

If you use just the tip of a very sharp brush to pull the paint into place, you can actually have a fully loaded brush and avoid the dry paint problem, while still controlling the flow and not flooding the eye. It does mean you'll tend to get triangles of Iris rather than dots, but you can also paint in the whites this way. It will require some back and forth with white and iris, and practice, but I found it's actually a faster and more accurate technique once I got the hang of it.

 

Thanks!  And I appreciate the advice.  I've done one set of eyes since then but I didn't pay much attention to what I did.

 

 

And, with that, this WIP thread is over.  You can see her final pictures in her Show Off thread.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...