Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Painting in the style of ......

this is a compilation cut - 

Vemeermay have used a camera obsucra to trace the outlines before painting

He would carefully work one section at a time until perfect - (I usually do the whole mini by layer) 

2-3) monochrome camera for reference pictures.  the second one is taken at a wierd angle, to keep the light the same.

4) primed in black and white brush on primer 

5-6) first day of black and white. 

So butter smooth blending done in greyscale.

then glaze with green and ochre.    

orginal.jpg.31e7dfae74b0e3788e74d11d43bc103a.jpg

refrence.jpg

primedF.jpg

Grey1.jpg

the back: 

54919064_refrenceback.thumb.jpg.16aaae11b5501c79dcc1baa9d64901ef.jpg

grey1B.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

this is a compilation cut - 

Vemeermay have used a camera obsucra to trace the outlines before painting

He would carefully work one section at a time until perfect - (I usually do the whole mini by layer) 

2-3) monochrome camera for reference pictures.  the second one is taken at a wierd angle, to keep the light the same.

4) primed in black and white brush on primer 

5-6) first day of black and white. 

So butter smooth blending done in greyscale.

then glaze with green and ochre.    

orginal.jpg.31e7dfae74b0e3788e74d11d43bc103a.jpg

the back: 

Cool!

Now if you ever want to try this on a bigger scale.

There is a bust available from that very painting.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor el greco miniatures bust girl with pearl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 12:55 AM, Glitterwolf said:
Now if you ever want to try this on a bigger scale.
There is a bust available from that very painting.

that is just evil.  

hmm 56$ and my local mini dealer is out of stock. 

it is tempting, but I have only painted 1 bust and wasn't satisfied with my results.  I have a few others on hand,

and I'm already getting a lizardman bust from a KS... 

So back to current progress.  Reaper makes a lovely Ultramarine - and it is gorgeous when mixed with white.

but as Anne warned on the threads on paint, it doesnt mix the same as the old direct pigments, and it got a little wierd when I added clear green - or my ochre substitute. 

Still considering options. 

1) a single thin wash of strait ultramarine, 

2) a few glazes of ultramrine+white, plus some extra colors on crest

it feels like I'm loosing some of the highlights. 

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

refrence lizard.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

Sounds like all this arting you're doing would make you a good candidate for single pigment paints. I just got the Kimera ones and can let you know how those do. Or there is Meiningers near you for normal artist acrylics, and you'd be into Pestering Pingo territory. 

• Like 5

On 4/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, Cyradis said:

Sounds like all this arting you're doing would make you a good candidate for single pigment paints. I just got the Kimera ones and can let you know how those do. Or there is Meiningers near you for normal artist acrylics, and you'd be into Pestering Pingo territory. 

I am leaning more towards single pigments.  I dont want to move to normal artist arcylics unless I actually move to a canvas.  

when are the Kimeria's supposed to arrive? 

Might be worth mentioning that the Golden Fluid Acrylics are mostly single pigment paints and they're very close in consistency to hobby paints with very high pigment loads. I've been using them more and more and really liking them.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

Might be worth mentioning that the Golden Fluid Acrylics are mostly single pigment paints and they're very close in consistency to hobby paints with very high pigment loads. I've been using them more and more and really liking them.

the hazardous component list on those is intimidating, I'm mean I try not to lick brushes, but.... 

thanks for the youtube link btw, that was very helpful, once I got around to watching it.  Elderspawn liked the realistic painting over the impressionist, but the rest of us agreed with the OP.

Here is the next, and last of the Baroque Lizardman.

repeating the technique was harder and less satisfying than the first one.  based on my experience with Rembrandt I went slowly and carefully with the second one, rather than speeding up. 

ill do some clean up on this one, and then do a show-off thread for the pair. 

ref1.jpg

near spear.jpg

near spear B.jpg

• Like 7

Next Up: Taking a break.

Vermeer was the last of the Baroque painters I want to emulate, so I looked at the next century of art.

Materialism, Rocco, Neo-Classicism, Mortality lessons

bleh.  no new techniques, just new subject matters.  and nothing that floats my boat.  I'm not doing flirty pink lizardman wit erotic subtext, nor LM in togas in heroic poses / painted to demonstrate virtue.

the 18th century seems pretty dull.  my skimming is based on one source so if I missed something let me know. 

19th century we get to impressionism - that looks tasty, but I have only vague ideas on how to translate it to minis. 

It's going to take some more research. WHEE! 

In the meantime, I'll bring this part of the experiment to a close, perhaps with a post just reflecting back on what I have learned. 

Studying the old masters is like drinking from a firehose, I have tried to work on just one or two new things at a time, and I think my techniques and options have been really expanded by the search. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

the hazardous component list on those is intimidating, I'm mean I try not to lick brushes, but.... 

Here's the SDS:

https://www.goldenpaints.com/pdf_viewer?file=https://www.goldenpaints.com/admin/image/get_assets/golden-master-sds-011816.pdf

With artists pigments, each pigment is handled separately. It's not too difficult to stay with relatively innocuous pigments like Titanium Dioxide, which is approved as a food additive and used everywhere as such but "Listed by IARC under category 2B, possibly carcinogenic to humans." or Carbon Black, which is "IARC classification as Group 2B, possibly carcinogenic to humans ... (Applies to airborne particles of respirable size only)".

The other side of that issue is that with artists paints you can actually find out what you're dealing with where with hobby paints you really can't.

Your call, of course. If you want to try them out, I'll have a bunch on Saturday.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

the hazardous component list on those is intimidating,

It depends on the pigment, but most of the time they are fine (as long as you don't eat paint, which you shouldn't do anyway.)
In some cases even if you eat the artist paint it would be no worse than eating hobby paint (you must understand that as long as artist paint follow the proper standards [have a logo on them], they tell you more about their toxicity than the hobby paints [which are probably just as toxic when it comes to the binder, but don't tell you that]).

A paint manufacturer told me that he could eat cadmium red pigment without fear of getting poisoned due to the fact that it is a molecule composed of cadmium and something else [sulpher I think, but would need to check] which has such a strong bond it can be considered to be unabsorbable by the body [unless heat is applied]. The old cadmium paints have the warning due to the chemical process being imperfect and having pure cadmium mixed in with the bound cadmium.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, Evilhalfling said:

I am leaning more towards single pigments.  I dont want to move to normal artist arcylics unless I actually move to a canvas.  

when are the Kimeria's supposed to arrive? 

Supposedly more will be put up for sale in the next few weeks. I just got mine (took a long time to get here with Italian Post). Going to start playing with them this weekend. They are really vivid. I'm kinda thinking I want to try mono-chrome violet on something with it, but I don't know what. Not even pseudo-monochrome like the lion was - just violet and white, nothing else. 

• Like 1

The Diorama Begins

each figure will be standing in front of a scene painted from one of the masters works.  

they will also be on a base of some kind, with elements from the work added to the base 

- like a table, a log with a robe draped over it, or grass and bushes.  

El Greco: view of Toledo 

Caravaggio : Judith beheading Holofernes

Velacruz: infant Francesca in a blue dress 

Rubens: Adonis and Venus 

Rembrandt: Self Portrait 

WIP Diorama SFW.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

Made some progress. 

Glad I am not trying to finish this by reapercon' 2019.  but I am planning on going next year...

Purchased 2"x2" canvases - the perfect size for this diorama 

then today went I to home depot  and got the plinths cut.  They will need a lot of sanding &  staining.   The cut sides are so rough that they would need me to use a belt sander just to get them in decent shape. Or since I am doing bases, I am thinking a layer of sculpted greenstuff / milliput 

this canvas is burnt umber, and a touch of palomino gold, and shaded to black at the edges. It is the backdrop for almost all Rembrandt's self-portraits. 

Once I get the mini where I want him, there will be an additional bright ring of highlight.  

It was fast and fun. 

2093785528_remb_0.jpg.e8ccd36b99b04bcdcd781b32e14f3a9c.jpg

rembrant_1.jpg.058100ea2b8b25a9c1757f30c60836f4.jpg

Next up Velacruz - infinite shades of grey, near impressionist, master of mirrors.

I did the three painted versions first but still wasn't happy.  so I stepped back to just sketching -

sketching a 3-D version of the mantle based on my dining room table.  

I thought that if I was really daring I would add my face in the mirror behind the mini -

then went back and looked at the original artwork - yes there was his face in the mirror.  Because of course, that was what he would do. 

in fact the subject is not in the mirror at all, the stuff on the mantle is, and then the artists face. 

I also realized I could use my better velacruz lizardman if I just flipped the background so the light was coming from the left instead of the right. 

now it has all fallen into place.  Also the mirror is so dark it is hard to recognize that it is actually a mirror - its not reflecting any light sources. I will change that in the next version, it is one of the darkest parts of the painting and should let the brightly lit archer really pop. Where the club/shield guy didn't stand out from the "infinite shades of grey"

724268786_Diego_Rodriguez_de_Silva_y_Velzquez_-_Infanta_Margarita_Teresa.thumb.jpg.828582b09890f0aba473602977a23483.jpg

dela_trials.thumb.jpg.db9c922d5d8f10f478b64504286eb008.jpg

dela_sketches2.jpg.d8475d286644e19aba0e872dc3778ef3.jpg

diego_FF.jpg.bf8899620b94240cfa7bf26b5b366ded.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5