Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
By Lord of the Dish Pit
When the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch on Halloween to bring toys and gifts to the deserving, and a painful smiting to the pumpkin smashers, it is vital that He should covering fire if He needs it....
Four of these were among the first minis I painted for the Army of the Great Pumpkin, and I finally got around to getting them enough friends to make a unit. The large Jack O Lantern is from Reaper's pumpkin pack, I don't remember who manufactured the tree, I picked it up in the model railroad section of a hobby store sometime around 1997. There's also an Army Painter Wasteland Grass tuft. The fence was scratch made from balsa wood.
Painted their shoulder skulls orange to represent the skulls of pumpkin smashers dyed with the remains of their innocent victims so as the pumpkin spirits can rest easy knowing they have been avenged...
Both the older "white and bendy" Bones and the newer grey "better detailed and not bendy" Bones are in the unit.
Later I need to spray primer the elf outta this so the leaves stay put.
The increased detail of the grey Bones really made itself evident while painting these.
Here's an ork war party looking for a campsite. This ruined tower looks like a good place to stop.
Doesn't take long to get a campfire going, plenty of wood around if you look.
Anval Thricedamned (R) had a head transplant from the bits box and now sports orky horns. Irongrave knight (L) has a new axe.
Cookware and roasting spit by STL Miniatures.
Had bones versions of these two lying around, with Hajad being the last mini from the Layer up LTPK that's sat on my desk for a while now, and Kogo who I'd planned on using for my Furiously Fluffy Howling Hounds army, but wound up getting the metal version for that, and so he's sat around on my desk for a while. This hopefully will be a shorter than usual WIP thread from me, given that the main goal I'm pursuing with this is to try and work on a few techniques for speed while simultaneously getting used to two new brushes I picked up for a forthcoming attempt at a goblin challenge on DDS2.
Why these two? Well, they were lying around, but also, more importantly, they are two areas I don't really have much experience. First is Hajad, who might very well be my first actual (proper) attempt at doing a skin tone, doubly so a dark one. I don't count my attempts years ago with a Catachan soldier or two where I took some sort of flesh paint, and then put Chestnut ink over it. All of it - well, the flesh parts anyways. Man that was a sunburnt soldier! Kogo was chosen because of his type of armour, and he was the only figure I had around that was actually wearing armour - DDS2 has a decent variety of armour types, from cloth, to leather, to plate, and even in between, and I sure wouldn't mind a tad more practice on such before actually starting that challenge.
Anyways, first up on the painting table area we have 77134 Hajad, Pirate.
^This is more or less where I left off last night, with most things roughly blocked in. I could have gotten liner all over him, but I figured since the goal was to work on a few techniques I'd rather actually be painting! :P Main reason I liner isn't necessarily for a good base coat for paint to adhere to (since Bones works fairly well with Reaper's paints), but because it usually lets me see details a lot easier. I think I spent about an hour, give or take up to this stage. For those wondering, yup, following the colour mixing stuff listed out in the LTPK's booklet, partially due to a few reasons, but the biggest is having never really done flesh before, so I want to basically use several different learning techniques and hope most of it sticks for when DDS2 comes about ^_^;;;;
^And here's where we stand at the moment, with the shadow layers put down on his skin, as well as the lining done. I was aiming to try for something slightly different with lighting, and went more towards a harsh, mid-day kind of sun that has a rather sharp downwards angle, coming from the left (when looking at him face on) and somewhat in front of him. I'll playfully say he definitely has a case of the uglies at the moment, but I'm hoping it will be relatively easy to resolve as additional details (and glazes) come into play. Up to this point I think it was around 45 minutes or so of additional work. I'm not trying to race against the clock by mentioning time spent, more just catalogging to see what I've done, and how long it takes, etc.
As for brushes... I'm not touching my Series 7 at the moment, because that kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting to know these two brushes! I'm using the Expression E85 for most of the larger area work, while the Sceptre Gold II 101 I've used for the more intricate areas (like the lining, as well as most of the shadows due to finding fine brush control easier with it).
Back to the painting table... Once I've washed out my dry palettes, I've run out of empty ones!
I finished the last of the LTPK2 minis! The last one I did was Hajad the Pirate. About half way through I realized my brush skills were not up to the task on blending the shadows and highlights properly so I decided to exaggerate them instead so he came out looking a little comic book arty. I am pretty happy with the end result but this mini was mostly a lesson in how much I need to practice building up thin layers and blending. Also he was an epic eye failure, so he's a blind pirate. C'est la vie
Either way, he was a lot of fun!