25mm sci-fi miniatures?

Chrome

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm....

Nadin is kinda close but that's the last time I use the US slang for it!!..

As I said, I'm a squid descended from crabs...

Squid is an 'americanism' for a navy person - at least that's what we Matelot's always said anyway :o) And 'crabs' is the Royal Navy's term for the Royal Air Force.

Oh and Nadin, please don't mock submariners - it's impolite to mock the hard boys in any group :o)

*Stands slightly taller since he's a former submariner*

Hmm....

My only defense to such remarks Jeremy is to point out that submariners are the silent killers of the deep... something ALL surface vessels are worried about but also something that few Cans can actually detect before the first one goes boom :o) Just ask anyone on a super-carrier.... those that've faced our Fleet Boats will tell you they're scary... and we like it that way :o)

Wolf, I might have been a submariner but I was also in the process of applying to get a green beret and a set of parachute wings. Not especially useful underwater I know, but bleep fun when you see ppl's faces :o)

And Chrome's right, squid is a dereogatory term, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps it's been dropped through lack of use by now, I haven't spoken to any of my former shipmates for 3 years or so....

As for crab, damned if I know. All I know is that we called the Royal MArines greens, the army is pongos (army missions are 'brown jobs') and the RAF were crabs. I know the origins of pongo and green, but not crab.

The expressions would have been priceless, after they looked upon your uniform.  You're right though, I don't really much use for the wings underwater either.   :)

I've been around a few joint service bases on the east and west coast over the last couple years, and the term squid for naval personnel has far from died.  Heck, my ex-wife was a squid and before you ask, it's a long story, saved for later.

Hehehe, we'll save that one for the trans-atlantic flight shall we :o)

And I was also part the way through getting a diver's qual as well..... my uniform was about to become cluttered - dolphins, wings, diver's badge and green beret on my head :o)

You are all on acid. What I've pieced together suggests that the 25mm scifi thread has become a reminiscence on trips involing flying blue, green and brown submarines that are attacked in midair by crabs and squids wearing berets, whereupon the protagonist parachutes to safety, kills the crab, marries the squid, and infiltrates England disguised as the Amazing Fly Boy while singing the American National Anthem to the tune of God Save The Queen.

Not that it wouldn't make one helluva diorama.