Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Wreckage of USS Hornet found 77 years after she went down

Recommended Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fabled-wwii-aircraft-carrier-discovered-77-years-after-it-was-sunk/ar-BBTug8u

 

“The ship was found more than 17,000 feet below the surface, on the floor of the South Pacific Ocean near the Solomon Islands. The USS Hornet is best known for launching the important Doolittle Raid in April of 1942 and its role in winning the Battle of Midway. 

 

Richard Nowatzki, 95 now, was an 18-year-old gunner on Hornet when enemy planes scored several hits, reports CBS News' Mark Phillips.”

 

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To go along with this, the wreck of the Japanese battleship Hiei was found off the coast of Guadalcanal just last week. Both ships were lost in the same campaign, the Solomon Islands Campaign, about 3 weeks apart. Hornet on October 26th, Hiei on November 14th. Hornet was the last US fleet carrier to be sunk, while Hiei was the first Japanese battleship to be sunk. Both were scuttled and not outright sunk in combat. It can be argued that Hornet was lost in combat, since the Japanese technically sank her, but since the ship was fully abandoned and the only reason she was still floating was because of failed torpedo detonations I think it's unfair to claim she was a combat kill.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

This alternate link is for anyone else that experiences browser lockup at MSN:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a26307644/aircraft-carrier-uss-hornet-world-war-ii-shipwreck/

 

It mentions (but no link <_< )there is a source website. 

 

Edit: which might be this:

https://www.paulallen.com/the-hunt-for-the-uss-hornet/#the-hunt-for-the-uss-hornet

 

 

 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Unruly said:

To go along with this, the wreck of the Japanese battleship Hiei was found off the coast of Guadalcanal just last week. Both ships were lost in the same campaign, the Solomon Islands Campaign, about 3 weeks apart. Hornet on October 26th, Hiei on November 14th. Hornet was the last US fleet carrier to be sunk, while Hiei was the first Japanese battleship to be sunk. Both were scuttled and not outright sunk in combat. It can be argued that Hornet was lost in combat, since the Japanese technically sank her, but since the ship was fully abandoned and the only reason she was still floating was because of failed torpedo detonations I think it's unfair to claim she was a combat kill.

 

Surely both actions were part of the extended Guadalcanal campaign? Hornet is lost during the Battle of Santa Cruz. (Finally torpedoed by the Japanese destroyers Akigumo and Makigumo. So I really think this is a legitimate battle loss.) And Hiei is sunk at the Second Battle of Guadalcanal. The land battle for Guadalcanal lasts from the landing of 1st. Marine Division on 7th. August 1942 and ends when the Japanese finally evacuate the island on 7th. February 1943. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

 

Surely both actions were part of the extended Guadalcanal campaign? Hornet is lost during the Battle of Santa Cruz. (Finally torpedoed by the Japanese destroyers Akigumo and Makigumo. So I really think this is a legitimate battle loss.) And Hiei is sunk at the Second Battle of Guadalcanal. The land battle for Guadalcanal lasts from the landing of 1st. Marine Division on 7th. August 1942 and ends when the Japanese finally evacuate the island on 7th. February 1943. 

 

Guadalcanal was part of the Solomon Islands Campaign, so yes. They were just lost in different engagements.

 

As for the Hornet being sunk by Akigumo and Makigumo, that's a stretch. She was sunk by Japanese torpedo and dive bombers, who bombed, torpedoed, and rammed her until she was unsafe to tow. At which point all crew were evacuated and the Americans put an additional 9 torpedoes and a couple hundred shells into her in an attempt to scuttle before the Japanese fleet got there. By the time Akigumo and Makigumo got there, she would have been a ghost ship with a huge list and she would have probably gone down on her own as she slowly flooded. The only reason she wasn't already under water was because most of the American torpedoes failed to explode.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early War American torpedos had a detonator problem. Frustrated submarine skippers as well. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Early War American torpedos had a detonator problem. Frustrated submarine skippers as well. 

Detonator problems, guidance problems, launch problems, propulsion problems - the Mark I torpedoes were a freakin' mess.

 

It was not unknown for the torpedo to come back full circle.

 

The Auld Grump - my dad served in the submarine fleet in WWII and the Korean War.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have all made my day better. I love me some History. 

 

In spite of the Americans shelling the bejeesus out of her aren't the final Type 93s actually credited with being what sunk her? Or am I misremembering? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loim said:

You have all made my day better. I love me some History. 

 

In spite of the Americans shelling the bejeesus out of her aren't the final Type 93s actually credited with being what sunk her? Or am I misremembering? 

 

No, you're remembering correctly. I just disagree with the record for the reasons I stated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unruly said:

 

No, you're remembering correctly. I just disagree with the record for the reasons I stated.

Think of it as the Mercy Shots that just allowed that Great Lady to slide under a little quicker.

GEM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the frightening statistics of the Guadalcanal Campaign is that 75% of Japanese deaths were due to starvation and island diseases.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Green Eyed Monster
      Today marks the 76th Anniversary of what has been dubbed "The Longest Day", when the push to liberate Europe from NAZI Oppression and predation set foot on the beaches of Normandy, France.
      Please keep all the brave men [and the corp of Nurses who didn't have to but volunteered anyway] who sacrificed so much for all of us in that and the subsequent days and months.
      GEM
      Proud to be a US Navy Veteran
    • By Green Eyed Monster
      On this day in 1804, Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and the rest of their party headed up the Missouri River on a government-sponsored mission to explore the land that had been acquired in the Louisiana Purchase the year before and find a water route to the Pacific Ocean.
      And so began a multi-year adventure.
      GEM
    • By Rob Dean
      I don’t have any links, and I am betting the observances are a bit subdued, but I do note that today is the 75th anniversary of V-E Day, the official end of World War Two in Europe.  Compared to that, getting through our current crisis seems possible...
    • By Pingo
      It’s been fifty years today.
       
      On Monday, May 4, 1970 at 12:24 PM Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire on unarmed students, killing two protesters and two innocent bystanders and wounding nine.
       
      I put up a Twitter thread about it: https://mobile.twitter.com/AchronalA/status/1257343082611253250
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!
       
      Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.
       
      In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!
       
      But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:
       

       
       
      Here's the scene:
       
      Kauder reenters his tank (In German)
       
      So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...
       
      First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
      So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.
       

       

       
      I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.
       

       

       
      The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!
       
      Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.
      I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.
       
      I've got to dig deeper into it.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...