Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

hide Guitar Strap

Awesome project! ( although I resemble the remark about killing a Loup Garou! )

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome project! ( although I resemble the remark about killing a Loup Garou! )

[ whispers...should we mention he now works for M.E.O.W.?]

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Yesterday, I made a mold from the original and injected 15 wax copies tonight.  Here is one of the copies in the mold:

IMG_E4348.JPG.691ef16cc933e841fb2430208fdcead0.JPG

Then I put the copies on a wax tree.  I'll be investing that in a few minutes and will cast it in silver tomorrow.  Each one will be about a half ounce of silver.

IMG_E4350.JPG.2a83ce13e8bf61611a8abca3dc7a4172.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I cast on Saturday.  It was the most metal I have yet melted at once: 15 oz of sterling silver. Here is the tree after casting:

IMG_E4353.JPG.ba8961e70e792017f3623c561d528e85.JPG

It took me an hour or so to saw all of the skulls free.  Then I ran them in steel shot in the rock tumbler for a few hours.  I also took a short ingot of silver I'd made and rolled into a long bar on my rolling mill.  This bar I then made into a ring. It still needs refinement, but I will be soldering one of the skulls to it as a ring for him to wear when he plays.

IMG_E4354.JPG.4b4fb48581a7edf7cc5f2a3afc285b62.JPG

IMG_E4357.JPG.daca9b49fbd5a5c8dba851b405b3808e.JPG

Note that the three to the side have casting flaws that won't be easy to fix.  All the rest just have surface flaws and flash that will come off readily.  That's not a bad rate, 13 of 16 good casts.  I need one for the ring and 10 for the strap.  I'll hold the other two in reserve in case I mess up the one on the strap.

• Like 13

Awesome stuff!  Castings look great, your friend should be really happy with all this.

Kang

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 8:52 PM, TaleSpinner said:

plus he'll be able to use it to kill a Loup-Garou

You get bonus points for mentioning this. A Dresden Files fan?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

You get bonus points for mentioning this. A Dresden Files fan?

YES!  I'm going though the entire series again right now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

One day, if I can ever sculpt it, I will have a Dresden miniature. And Denarians to face off against.

I have actually, seriously considered approaching Mr. Butcher about just such an endeavor.  The Dresden Files RGP really needs a line of minis; I'd love to sculpt them. The problem is, who would cast and sell them.  

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have actually, seriously considered approaching Mr. Butcher about just such an endeavor.  The Dresden Files RGP really needs a line of minis; I'd love to sculpt them. The problem is, who would make them.  

Sculpt first, ask questions later. ::D:

If Butcher doesn't hurry up and write more novels for that series, he is going onto the same list as George R.R. Martin.

Just now, ManvsMini said:

Sculpt first, ask questions later. ::D:

If Butcher doesn't hurry up and write more novels for that series, he is going onto the same list as George R.R. Martin.

He's back to work now.  He had a string of bad and good life events in the past year that stymied everything (dog died, divorce, moving, new marriage, building a house/writing office, house building going terribly wrong and trapping him without a writing space for like 6 months, etc...).  According to his publisher, all is settled out now, he's back in his new space and has been writing again since the beginning of the year.  Sounds like Peace Talks will be finished and to editing by summer with release possible by the end of the year.