Mutilatedlips

7580: Ma'al Drakar the Dragon Tyrant

He looks awesome, love the lava base!  I know how much work it is, mine took me 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely gorgeous!  Very much so love how that lava is bubbling over that one edge of the base too! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm dying to know how you did that lava. It looks amazing, and I was planning on incorporating some lava into my 2nd Ma'al when I get started on her...

I agree.  The bubbling and oozing were pulled off nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shading/highlighting on this is so good - the scales really pop!  I also love the lava spill on the base - such a neat touch.  Amazing job!

• Thanks 1

Really like the base you made - it perfectly compliments the dragon. Love the detail on the scales - beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks fantastic. Skimmed through your blog on the work of this. I see no picture or mention of an airbrush, which makes it that much more impressive.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm dying to know how you did that lava. It looks amazing, and I was planning on incorporating some lava into my 2nd Ma'al when I get started on her...

I used a 2 part putty that a friend supplies to me from his work,  pressed it around the rocks and then painted. Probably the only secret is that I used glass beads for the bubbles and pressed the putty over them. 

9 hours ago, Fencig said:

wow! 

hope you have a glass case to put that in 

Sadly, I painted for a friend of mine and only have these pics to remember it by.

There were times I was amazed with it and times I was so tired of looking at it. Weird feeling.

33 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Looks fantastic. Skimmed through your blog on the work of this. I see no picture or mention of an airbrush, which makes it that much more impressive.

Thanks, no airbrush. Thought about buying one back when I was painting the gf9 demogorgon, but wasn't sure if it would slow me down or come out poorly from not ever using one before.

• Like 3

I don't own an airbrush either, and doubt I would tackle Ma'al without one, given his size. I don't even have a brush big enough to basecoat him. I can see why he took 11 months to complete.

• Thanks 1