Sign in to follow this  
Rignes

77018 - Skeletal Archer - My First Mini

First, welcome to the place, you have entered the nicest place on the web. Second, you did great! Looks really well done.

Thanks. :) 

I think the hardest part and the thing I'm most displeased with is the drybrush highlighting part.  The instructions have you apply a base color dry brush after the wash to bring the base color back up to where it was before the wash.  Then it wants you to do a highlight drybrush with a lighter color.  The highlighting was the hardest for me.  I always felt like I was either not getting enough highlight or too much.

• Like 3

Welcome fellow newbie!  I also just started painting minis, and started with this kit - the skeleton was my first as well, and I'm just about finished the orc.  Nice job!! :)

• Like 2

Great job! Keep experimenting with techniques and you'll find the way that works for you. There's no single "right" way to paint minis. 

If you want, I think you could probably be a bit more liberal with your wash in the recesses. That'll give more definition to things like the ribs and you might find your highlights pop a little more. 

• Like 2

Welcome!

A great first mini!

Don't be afraid of highlights and deep shadows. That's the way to go. 

Most important thing is to have fun. 

Paint more, browse the forum and look at youtube vids on painting fantasy miniatures. 

Ask for tips. Make a WIP and you will receive tips and advice while you work on a mini.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome!

A great first mini!

Don't be afraid of highlights and deep shadows. That's the way to go. 

Most important thing is to have fun. 

Paint more, browse the forum and look at youtube vids on painting fantasy miniatures. 

Ask for tips. Make a WIP and you will receive tips and advice while you work on a mini.

9 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Great job! Keep experimenting with techniques and you'll find the way that works for you. There's no single "right" way to paint minis. 

If you want, I think you could probably be a bit more liberal with your wash in the recesses. That'll give more definition to things like the ribs and you might find your highlights pop a little more. 

Thanks for the tips. 

Yeah, in hindsight I probably should have done a 2nd coat of wash.  I'll have to watch and see if one is necessary when I do the Orc Marauder.  I bought a couple of extra minis for practice purposes.  My long term goal is to get the basic techniques down enough to start painting the minis in Mansion of Madness (great game if you've never played it BTW).  If I can at least get them table top ready I'll be a happy camper.  

I never had any interest in painting miniatures before my wife bought this game.  So, I guess it's all her fault. :)

• Like 4

Welcome - great first mini!  He looks fine as is, but if you want to make him even better - As others have said, don't be shy with contrast, and you can always add another coat.

• Like 2

You can pick up a pack of Bones skeletons cheap. Experiment on them, comparing as you go. That way you can see what feels right to you and what effects you like.

• Like 1