Sign in to follow this  
Harrek

Artis Opus - Series M: Brush Set

So the new Artis Opus KS is live.  It can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artis-opus/artis-opus-series-m-brush-set

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

Also how people like the previous ones to see if they were worth the price.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harrek said:

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

I was just checking this out and was interested in them but the price is too high for me right now and the comparison picture made me realize I already have a similar brush, a Rosemary & Co Series 323 Spotter. I like using it for things that need shorter brush strokes like eyes and textures, plus I think it would be good for small freehand work. The point of mine is just as good as their Series 33, the regular rounds, and the smaller belly has not seemed to be an issue. Personally I would not use it for base coating or blending large areas but for small details, it is useful. 

• Like 3

Didn’t even look at the price. Those would be just about worthless at my altitude and climate. Paint would dry on them before I got it to the miniature.

• Like 2

"Miniature" brush heads are terrible IMO. They hold less moisture and paint so they dry out faster, are far easier to ruin by getting paint in the ferrule, and have much worse reach into tight places.

Only benefit I can see is stiffness, which isn't really needed on unless drybrushing, and crappy synthetic brushes are plenty stiff for such dirty work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like having stiffness in a brush for painting eyes and details like that. A mushy brush doesn't do well for that, I find. It is why I like my Raphael 8402 more than the 8404 for fine detail, and the 8404 for blending (mushy for blending, stiff for fine lines and points). Still, I want the brush to have enough material in it to not dry up, and smaller is easier to mess up the ferrule. Easy pass for me here. 

• Like 4

Easy pass as well for me.  Those seem like you would have to be doing deep cleanings of them a lot more often alongside all the previously mentioned bits regarding it not holding much moisture/paint and would run into drying issues...

That Samurai Stand is the most tempting thing here. I should search one of those out on Thingiverse...

6 minutes ago, Talae said:

That Samurai Stand is the most tempting thing here. I should search one of those out on Thingiverse...

There are many similar products out there.

Might the super tiny brushes be better if we worked with oil paints? There would still be issues with paint in the ferrule I'd think, but not with drying instantly.

10 hours ago, Harrek said:
10 hours ago, Talae said:

There are many similar products out there.

True. This just reminded me that don't have one currently. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PhantomAsh
      Phillip Reed has launched another Kickstarter to add to his recently finished campaign "A Dozen Sinister Rumours", which ended up giving out seventeen system-agnostic PDFs for fantasy RPGs for only a $1. This new one is following a similar idea, pledging for a $1 gets you access to all unlocked PDFs of RPG flavour inspiration, each of which have a dozen ideas, adventure hooks, important items or NPCs to use.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/a-dozen-troubling-rumors-for-use-with-fantasy-rpgs/

The project launched yesterday and is already funded with two stretch goals unlocked. 
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1113411001/odyssey-anthropos?ref=discovery_category_newest

About

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dispeldice/dispel-dice

About
        Tabletop RPG gaming saved my life during a time when I was really struggling. The act of a scheduled activity where I would go have fun with friends on a regular basis helped me overcome my depression. It helped me build stronger connections with friends, create a sense of community, and, as cheesy as it sounds, gave me somewhere to belong. As a way to contribute back to the fandom creatively, I started Dispel Dice. 
      Since then, it’s grown more than I could have possibly imagined in a short period of time. I want to share Dispel Dice with the world, and to do that, I need to accelerate production so it can be sustainable long-term.
      Dispel Dice stands in solidarity with Kickstarter United.
        To promote our debut, we have some Day One Pledge Bonuses available until tomorrow morning! They will be added to your pledge, free of charge, if you pledge within the first 24 hours. Day One Pledge Bonuses stack on top of the general Kickstarter bonuses. All orders placed up until 11/7, 9:00AM PST will qualify for a Day One Pledge Bonus, but after that, the offer expires!
      The pin may still be ordered during and after the campaign, but the D20 is exclusive to Day 1 pledgers. If you pledge 3 sets or MORE, you will receive the Merlot D20. 
          PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING OR FEES IMPOSED BY YOUR COUNTRY. SHIPPING WILL BE CHARGED ON TOP OF YOUR ORDER AFTER THE KICKSTARTER CONCLUDES VIA BACKERKIT. VAT TAXES, IMPORT FEES, CUSTOMS FEES, & DUTIES ARE NOT INCLUDED.
    • By justcallmej
      Double Launch today. First our " '2 Tower" mini-kickstarter, go get a FREE siege tower just for checking it out!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamescape3d/2-tower-a-tall-tale-for-3d-printing-free-siege-tower

Second, we launched a Patreon for Open_Peg product and diagram development.
      Owners and backers should be getting a link for about 30 new roofs today, unrelated to the Patreon:)

http://patreon.com/gamescape3d

Thanks for checking it out, I'll be around to answer questions_Jeremy

• By Dan d'Lyon
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/hour-of-need?ref=user_menu

Hour of Need is a cooperative game of comic book action inspired by the costumed heroes that many of us grew up with. Using the Modular Deck System (MDS), also featured in Street Masters, Brook City, and Altar Quest, the game features incredibly modular gameplay using several different types of decks. Hero decks, villain decks, and issue decks can all be mixed and matched to create countless combinations of unique play experiences.
      Miniatures
      Each hero in Hour of Need is represented by a highly-detailed miniature, as well as each villain and their associated lackeys.
      Hero Decks
      Each hero in Hour of Need is defined by their unique deck of cards, representing their crime-fighting abilities. While each hero has their own playstyle, all hero decks share something in common in the form of heroic feats which make certain cards multi-purpose—do you want to play a card for its ability, or keep it in your hand to use its “toughness” heroic feat icon to protect yourself from damage? Managing your hand is crucial in avoiding crises!
      Villain Decks
      Villain decks are the primary opposition in Hour of Need. During the villain turn, each player draws a villain card and resolves its icons—these will spawn minions in scheme panels, trigger special villain abilities, or spawn perils & lackeys on the map. Additionally, villain cards feature “Showdown” effects that are resolved whenever a villain is attacked by a hero—if the heroes can first reveal the villain!
      Issue Decks and Issue Boards
      Like any good comic book series, Hour of Need tells its stories through issues—issue decks, in this case. Each issue deck is accompanied by an issue board that sets the scene for the conflict. The issue deck details the overall story and special rules for the game. Whether the heroes are attempting to thwart a bank robbery or prevent advanced weaponry from being stolen, the issue deck will provide the villain with their overall goal, which the heroes must prevent in order to win!
      Issue Guides
      The issue guide provides all the narrative and rules clarifications for each issue in the game. Players can choose to play a more story-based experience by reading each story point as its cue effects are triggered.
      Hero Dice
      Heroes must fight and solve their way through their enemies’ various machinations. Hero dice are used to resolve each fight and solve action, while focus tokens are used to mitigate these rolls.
      Tokens
      Tokens are used to track various game elements, such as how much damage a character has suffered, how much justice has been dealt to a problem, as well as where minions and bystanders appear on the board. Additionally, each issue introduces unique tokens to add another level of thematic immersion.
      Rulebook
      Check out the beta rulebook HERE!

• Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 324 Guests (See full list)