Artis Opus - Series M: Brush Set

So the new Artis Opus KS is live.  It can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artis-opus/artis-opus-series-m-brush-set

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

Also how people like the previous ones to see if they were worth the price.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 3
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Harrek said:

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

I was just checking this out and was interested in them but the price is too high for me right now and the comparison picture made me realize I already have a similar brush, a Rosemary & Co Series 323 Spotter. I like using it for things that need shorter brush strokes like eyes and textures, plus I think it would be good for small freehand work. The point of mine is just as good as their Series 33, the regular rounds, and the smaller belly has not seemed to be an issue. Personally I would not use it for base coating or blending large areas but for small details, it is useful. 

• Like 3

"Miniature" brush heads are terrible IMO. They hold less moisture and paint so they dry out faster, are far easier to ruin by getting paint in the ferrule, and have much worse reach into tight places.

Only benefit I can see is stiffness, which isn't really needed on unless drybrushing, and crappy synthetic brushes are plenty stiff for such dirty work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like having stiffness in a brush for painting eyes and details like that. A mushy brush doesn't do well for that, I find. It is why I like my Raphael 8402 more than the 8404 for fine detail, and the 8404 for blending (mushy for blending, stiff for fine lines and points). Still, I want the brush to have enough material in it to not dry up, and smaller is easier to mess up the ferrule. Easy pass for me here. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Harrek said:
10 hours ago, Talae said:

That Samurai Stand is the most tempting thing here. I should search one of those out on Thingiverse...

There are many similar products out there.

True. This just reminded me that don't have one currently. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.