Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Crowley's Saprolings

I had president's day off, so to take advantage of it, I decided to speed paint some saprolings and some ghouls. I'll get around to posting the ghouls shortly...

IMG_20190218_123253.thumb.jpg.8c6ea4c3700dfccdbd1658802bb8dda2.jpg

First up, the twig blights (though really, at this size, they're more like branch blights) were all given a good hot water and soap scrub, and then primed with Brown Liner.

IMG_20190218_124027.thumb.jpg.204da416fbda403ceec3bd4d4d616921.jpg

Then I painted them in successive highlights using Walnut Brown, Nut Brown, and Desert Stone. I then blotted them irregularly with Muddy Olive. 

IMG_20190218_133840.thumb.jpg.be90fe3889ebffa4c085daa9030efbd0.jpg

I stuck them on 1" slotta bases (GW style) and numbered each one, then I painted on some wood glue, and flocked them. 

IMG_20190218_163519.thumb.jpg.a7c1a35e9728975ac672ea2475d7db44.jpg

IMG_20190218_194902.thumb.jpg.000160d88386f07add1c003c8c7c1113.jpg

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 13

Very nice.  Fast but effective colors too.

I ended spray painting about 10 Briarlings with a light brown color (Krylon or Rusty's) & then washed them with Army Painter Soft tone. They came out nice but nothing like these. Sad thing is I still need to paint the bases black, but their time in the limelight is coming to an end. Party is almost done clearing the town that is infested with them.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Arc 724
      Female Owlfolk Fighter by Stonehaven Miniatures

Finished this commission the other day. Part commission part engagement gift for one of the ladies that I play D&D with. She was so stink'n excited to get it. :)
      This is the tabletop quality {Tt}, quick paint job done in a couple of hours.

Hope you enjoy! 

I used reaper brush on sealer before taking the photo's. I will not do that again. I don't like the shine it gave off. Made it look odd.
    • By Rigel
      Another fellow I'd painted long ago that got a touch-up when I was on that plant bender. This photosynthetic hulk is a great stand in for my favorite DC character: the Swamp Thing. 

• By Crowley
      As I said on my Saproling's topic, I had today off, so...  I decided that in addition to the saprolings, I'd knock out some tabletop quality ghouls. They were already assembled and primed, so the first thing was to paint the undead flesh. I used Vampire Shadow for their sickly skin. It didn't quite match the ghoul I'd painted before, but it was close enough. I sadly didn't always take good notes...

After that I decided that as these were primarily going to be gaming ghouls, and not for a unified force for Kings of War, they'd each get their own clothing color: Red, Green, Blue, Tan, and Dark Brown. I used Rusty Red, Muddy Olive, Rich Indigo, Desert Stone, and Ruddy Flesh. The eyes were all painted with Walnut Brown, as were the spikes sticking out of them. 

Then I washed them all with a mix of 4 parts sepia wash and 1 part black wash. 

A little bit of highlighting with the base clothing color, then it was time to paint the bases black, and then flock them! Oh, and a bit of watered down rusty red around the mouth.

Oh, and aged pewter on the spikes and the cleaver. 

Looking good for such quick work.  
    • By Inarah
      Spring floral is here!  I found these at Michael's this morning.  Succulents are a thing, fake succulents even more so since you can't kill them.  All of the ones I took pics of are small enough for table top use, 3" wide or less.   I did not take note of prices, but you can get coupons on their web site to help with the cost. 

• By Glitterwolf
      I also painted this Plant Dragon to include in my Welcome to the Jungle diorama/terrain piece for my Lost World Project.
      Again, I thought it would be nice to show it off separately before it becomes part of the terrain.

• Who's Online   42 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)