Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Bones Black Question - Thin Weapons, Etc. ...

I posted this in the Bones forum, but never got any responses, so I'm posting here instead in hopes someone from Reaper will pop in and comment ...

So far, the two new Bones Black previews we've seen have both been Large creatures with no weapons or items in hand (sword, spear, staff, etc.)

What I am REALLY interested to see is if smaller (human size) Bones Black figures will still have the overly thick weapons (the aforementioned sword, spear, staff, etc.) common on current Bones. These huge weapons / items have always bugged me - they are probably my biggest complaint about Bones in fact. My understanding is that are so large / extra thick because Bones material is bendy when it's thin, so they make things that should be thin ... way thicker than they should be to help combat this.

Given that Bones Black is so much more rigid - can we dare hope for swords, spears, staffs, and the like that are more realistic in size and thickness? 

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

Kind of frustrated to see this got moved to the very same forum I mentioned I had already posted in ...

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

I suspect the Reaper mods read both forums anyway. 

For the substantive question, it’s a little academic until there are actually models with the features you’re interested in available to buy, and when they are available I’m sure there will be lots of information posted from multiple sources on just this question (look how detailed the discussion about the troll has been, and weapon shape and rigidity has been a perennial question since the miniature was invented, probably). Bones 4 ships next month, and it sounds like a lot of the non-core set models will be in black material, so we will learn a ton about it soon enough. Patience, grasshopper. ;)

• Like 2

Have you watched any of the Reaper Live videos?  They did one where they showed multiple models, including a converted Bones/Bones Black mashup.  Bones Black is supposed to fix the droopy/bendy weapon problems.  At this point the fastest way to get a bunch into peoples hands is to just deliver Bones 4 next month.

Just thought I'd add that overly thick weapons is common in metal minis as well, especially those for gaming.  I've had delicate weapons break from even gentle use.  

• Like 6

Plus, it is difficult to cast thin pieces - metal or plastic. I would in a way prefer thicker, since it is easier to craft and less prone to breaking. If I want it narrower, I can take a knife and/or file to it. 

• Like 4