Sign in to follow this  
Thoramel

Shambling Playground

Awesome!

I love the idea and you pulled it off!

As for the pipe cleaners, they look good, nothing wrong there.

I use vines for my Lost World a lot.

My take on them, floral wire, cover in PVA and apply flock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I was scrolling down through the pic I thought at first the pipe cleaners were a sloth hanging off the branch. Great job on a pair of nice miniatures.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I just couldn't decide on a good way to attach its little friend. I don't care much for the pipe cleaner arrangement, but until I come up with something better, it works. 

Chain. Very fine links. Available at any Walmart in the crafts area near the beads and jewelry section. 

Sisal twine dipped in superglue (to stiffen and seal) might work as vines?

browns-tans-everbilt-rope-14109-64_1000.

Sisal Twine...^...image courtesy of Home Depot®

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

I love the idea and you pulled it off!

As for the pipe cleaners, they look good, nothing wrong there.

I use vines for my Lost World a lot.

My take on them, floral wire, cover in PVA and apply flock.

Great idea, I've got a second smaller and an infestation of mouslings. That may have to happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Chain. Very fine links. Available at any Walmart in the crafts area near the beads and jewelry section. 

Sisal twine dipped in superglue (to stiffen and seal) might work as vines?

browns-tans-everbilt-rope-14109-64_1000.

Sisal Twine...^...image courtesy of Home Depot®

Those are also a couple of great ideas, thanks. I'm thinking I should have posted a WIP thread to get some ideas now. 

• Like 4

This is a great idea well executed - I think the pipecleaners look good - would not have known that's what they are if you had not said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      Here is a figure I painted up as a character in what my group calls "the B team adventure" - which revolves around the supporting cast for a more standard party. She is the cook/maid. I like the townsfolk from the WIzkids set a lot better than the other humanoids I have painted from them, like the elves. They have a lot of character which makes up for the sometimes shallow detail. I'm proud of this one because she basically had no face and I painted one on with fair success I think.

• By Evilhalfling
      Time to paint a new Dragon.  and whats a dragon without a WIP? 
      This will be My second largest painted Dragon,  behind only DDS2.  It will slip to 3rd when I get around to painting the KDM Dragon King, that boy is a Chonk.  
      My goal is two months - ie end of the year.  otherwise I will have only finished one dragon this year,  when normally I paint 3. 

but white is so boring.  
      lets see what references I can find to spice it up. 

Ooooh Mamma ! 

so to translate this into the figure ... 
      mint/pastel green tint on scales, pink in the creases. 
      the lizard above seems to have green around some scales and pink around others.  im not really sure how to make that work. 

time for some rough drafts.

Rule of thirds - all white surfaces should be 1/3 or less other colors,  this way it should still read as white scales. 
      It could easily overwhelm the dragon, and lose the white designation . (ie DO NOT replicate the too green small lizard on the top.) 
      I don't need back legs on my sketch, patterns will be identical to the front legs. 
      Should I splatter with yellow?  - it is either random color shift on scales or urine stains.  

Paint Colors: 
      Entrail Pink mixed with white for the creases  (red liner deepest shadow) 
      Green sky (vallejo) for the mint green, also 50/50 white.  (green liner for darkest shadows)
      Linen white as a base - Pure white for highlights. 
      Snow shadow (blue/white)   for shadows on the scales.
      The wings should be darker on above than below, and more pink ,  while the upper surface will be more green.  

Basing -
      Simple Snow Base.    The Dragon needs to be sturdy as it will join the collection that my Mini-Spawn plays with.    It comes with a transparent pole, and attachment points to the base. 
      No  need to reinvent the wheel. 

I think I need to sleep on this before moving past the clean-up stage. 
      Comments , Criticism or Suggestions?  

• By Nial ap Morai
      Tried to paint the Griffon to look like Buckbeak (a hippogriff I could not locate) for a friend’s HP diorama. 

• By Iridil
      Here is a trio of Wizkids elves painted up for tabletop. It was very annoying to get to the bowman's face - so its not really painted in detail. I have mixed feeling about wizkids humanoids.... I feel a bit grumpy about how these didn't turn out, but its' my fault... I do like the yellow velveteen effect I got on the one cloak...

• By ksbsnowowl
      My cousin came over to paint a Bones mini I had laying around to be his new (temporary?) character, as he was slain at the end of the last session.  I decided to pull out the Nolzur’s Grick pack to paint something easy while half entertaining him. 

I just used two colors so far, Vallejo Green Brown for the belly and sucker “underside” of its face tentacles, and Reaper Troll Hide, both thinned 1:1 with Vallejo Thinner Medium, and a damp brush. Both colors went onto the smaller Grick like butter, and produced a wonderfully highlighted and shaded effect on their own. 

Sadly I got interrupted by life, and the paint was drying well out by the time I got back (I had put my palette in a ziplock bag, but still...) so I just used the VMC Green Brown that remained to touch up the smaller one, and start on the large one. I also mixed up a small bit of the Troll Hide again, to touch up a few remaining spots on the smaller aberration. But I’m beat, so enough painting for tonight. 

Going forward I plan to do the beak with Reaper Coal Black, which I’ve not had opportunity to make use of, yet. Plus I’ll put some Citadel Screamer Pink in for the mucosa of the mouth. 

Since the paint was acting so wonderfully as a wash, any spots I had to touch back up that resulted in darker splotches, I just mirrored on the opposite side, making that part of his skin pattern. I’m quite pleased with how it’s turning out, and it was ridiculously easy for a great tabletop standard. I need to do more monsters like this. 
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)