Sign in to follow this  
Cicciopiu

77469 - Brand Oathblood - Cicciopiu try NMM

I really like it! Those weapons are fantastic! The process does get faster. Two tiny axes for my first NMM took 4 hours, and weren't as smooth as I would have liked. Now once I have a plan in mind, executing it is much swifter. Perhaps not TMM swift, but the planning is now what worries me more than the blending :poke:

• Like 2

Great job on the NMM - you've got the smooth-ness down. Next time, maybe see what happens when you flip the highlights and shadows on the flat parts of the blades (i.e. white pooling at the bottom and black at the top).

I also really like your subtle wood grain on the axe. And his hair.

• Like 2

Thank you! :)

17 hours ago, paedia said:

Next time, maybe see what happens when you flip the highlights and shadows on the flat parts of the blades (i.e. white pooling at the bottom and black at the top).

I don't get you (sorry, my understand of english...): do you mean like the back of the sword? black up, white down?

On 3/2/2019 at 3:46 AM, Cicciopiu said:

Thank you! :)

I don't get you (sorry, my understand of english...): do you mean like the back of the sword? black up, white down?

exactly like the back of the sword. On the axe head, the white towards the curved bottom part of the large face of the blade.

• Thanks 1

Congrats!!! Especially for the very first time trying nmm this is simply awesome. Really. My first attempt simply looked like a flat stone haha. There are actually rules for painting a most convincing nmm and I need to tell you that you have set the reflections partially "wrong" or let`s say I would have paint them different, but this doesn`t need to bother you because this is just a question of not having all informations yet and we can fill this gap quite easily. Best is: For the case that you start a new nmm project just summoning me. Glitterwolf has told me that one can summon others here. It is best to talk about it while the wip stage of course.

Just a short preview: NMM reflections (highlights) works different from reflections on other materials. Normally we all learn: Light is at the upper part of the figure and at the upper part of a detail.

NMM works often exactly other way round. Imagine a completely flat piece of metal which stands vertical. In this case the highlight is not at the upper part of the surface, but at it`s bottom!!!

In the case of your sword the highlights are exatcly other way round. But only in this special case. The light would hit the upper blade close to the hilt and at the bottom side of the blade we would see a reflection of the light which bounces back from the earth to the tip of the blade.

It depends all on the position of a sword, axe, armour. But I nevertheless call it flawless, because what we are trying when we paint nmm is to create the illusion of metal and you see that everybody in this thread accepted the illusion. So it works too. It is not 100% perfect, but you found a good way for creating the illusion of metal and your painting is very well. Cool, I`m looking forward to your next paintjobs ::D:

Edit: I see you have painted the reflections correct at the back side of the sword. In this case the front side would look the same.

I attach a photo here where you can see how the reflections normally would look on a sword which has got the same position like the one you have painted. I found it here:

http://immanueluccdbq.org/nmm-tutorial/nmm-tutorial-fabulous-non-metallic-metal-o-nmm-tutorial-•-tutofig/

nmm-tutorial-fabulous-non-metallic-metal-o-nmm-tutorial-e280a2-tutofig-of-nmm-tutorial.jpg

Edited by vhaidra
Have overseen an important detail
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this