CreganTur

Took My First Masterclass: Mary Fixit and GRITT (Wander)

Nice work!

What are some of the main tips and tricks that you picked up? I am extra curious about the airbrush tips since I also have a less than stellar relationship with mine.

• Like 1

The 2 biggest airbrush tips were:

1. Don't worry about trying to prevent dry-tipping. Just regularly clean off the needle tip as you're working
  2. If you think you're starting to clog loosen and pull the needle back a little before reseating it. Then blow it out to get rid of what was starting the clog.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looks like you learned their lesson well; and your minis look awesome!!!

Also, thank you very much for those airbrush tips!  Those very issues plague me horribly!

• Like 2

Looks great!  The wear on GRITT is excellent.

I've been loving the recent videos Aaron has done on Miniatures Monthly, they finally have me wanting to try stuff beyond priming and basecoating with my airbrush.

1 hour ago, CreganTur said:

The 2 biggest airbrush tips were:

1. Don't worry about trying to prevent dry-tipping. Just regularly clean off the needle tip as you're working
  2. If you think you're starting to clog loosen and pull the needle back a little before reseating it. Then blow it out to get rid of what was starting the clog.

1. What is best for cleaning the needle tip? I have been using the side of a Q-tip. Is there a better way?

2. I should definitely get better at doing this. Thanks!

On 2/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Talae said:

1. What is best for cleaning the needle tip? I have been using the side of a Q-tip. Is there a better way?

I just use my fingernails to gently remove the built up paint.

Been making progress, but not enough that I've wanted to post another picture. Probably tomorrow.

• Like 4

Had a couple of really good painting sessions over the weekend. Completed Mary:

sBi51tR.jpg

I spent a lot of time debating adding the white tip to her tail, but it makes such a big difference that I'm really happy I did.

Also worked on GRITT's backpack. I stippled a couple different browns over the area, which made a really nice effect, then started on some highlights:

pH9tPxw.jpg

This is what I've worked up to at this time. Some of the higlights seem too extreme and it seems like I've lost some midtones. Also I want to keep working on the little freehand to make it pop more, as well as ensure the fox tail flourish on the cursive 'M' reads well (Also some of the paints I'm using apparently dry very shiny):

z1nmLcM.jpg

• Like 8

Amazing eyeshine and leather details! I'm also interested in how you got the chipped-rust look on G.R.I.T.T. Patchy rust I can do, but that effect you've got going on is something beautiful.

50 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Amazing eyeshine and leather details! I'm also interested in how you got the chipped-rust look on G.R.I.T.T. Patchy rust I can do, but that effect you've got going on is something beautiful.

The rust effect started by doing all the rust over the entire figure, then applying a masking agent- you can use salt masking (which is great but can be hard to control) or by sponge stippling on some silicon mold making compound. After all of the main yellow was painted on I removed the masking to reveal the rust. Next was a lot of brush work to enhance the rust effect.

Edited by CreganTur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1