Sign in to follow this  
Paradoxical Mouse

Mouse's First Bust (Advice and Comments Appreciated)

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Fighting her eyes now. Calling it for the night; don't want to ruin her face trying to get her eyes to behave.

http://www.resin-kit.com/techniques-for-painting-eyes/

https://figurementors.com/method-for-painting-eyes-on-busts-and-smaller-scales

• Like 2

I'm really frustrated now. I moved on to base coating the hair, but the eyes just aren't playing nicely. All my brushes either don't have enough control or don't have a fine enough tip. There is one that has an annoying hair sticking out longer from the rest, making its tip neigh useless. Current state.

15530475037142347966118595915178.thumb.jpg.9bb973b165255bb9a0204bf60f0192ef.jpg

Also, am I crazy, or are the two eyes on this sculpt two completely different sizes?

• Like 8

The eyes on this sculpt are kinda bulgy and not the same shape, I think. Mine wasn't cast especially well either; mold lines were all over, flashing, stuff like that. I'm doing mine as half-dead, so the asymmetry isn't prominent though. I figured if it was going to be "meh" I'd take advantage of it and make it weird. I should probably go back to painting it.... 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The eyes on this sculpt are kinda bulgy and not the same shape, I think. Mine wasn't cast especially well either; mold lines were all over, flashing, stuff like that. I'm doing mine as half-dead, so the asymmetry isn't prominent though. I figured if it was going to be "meh" I'd take advantage of it and make it weird. I should probably go back to painting it.... 

Maybe the bulgy-ness is what is holding me back. I think I'll take my exacto to them tonight and try to smooth them down. I was going to anyway to get rid of some of the paint gunk; but the exacto may make the eyes easier to make even.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If brushes give you trouble try a wooden skewer to apply a dot.

That would be too thin a tip, I think. Part of my problem is that half my brushes put down too small a dot.

• Like 4

I'd personally rather paint to try to compensate for the bulgy eyes. A xacto is going to be really difficult to smooth there, especially now that it has paint on it. It cuts flats; an eye is round. There isn't space to shave a round surface like you might on a mold line running down a leg. 

As for your tiny dotting brush - you can use that to your advantage. The irises of eyes don't need to be uniform. You can stipple in lots of tiny dots or dashes to give the iris some depth. You can also make the pupil with lots of black dots instead of one single dot. Heck, I would prefer doing it that way; less is riding on one single perfectly placed spot!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Maybe the bulgy-ness is what is holding me back. I think I'll take my exacto to them tonight and try to smooth them down. I was going to anyway to get rid of some of the paint gunk; but the exacto may make the eyes easier to make even.

That would be too thin a tip, I think. Part of my problem is that half my brushes put down too small a dot.

Use a small skewer and not the tip but the round back.

• Like 3

She's looking great!  Great work on the skin!  You're making a lot of progress with glazing!

I meant to post this earlier- and was going to just PM you with them, but the little mini message in PM isn't letting me do attachments the way I want, so... spoliers:

Spoiler

JGbust1.jpg.8efec372a379667082e9508c014e5fa7.jpgJGbust2.jpg.25b1f6203fbc412436bda65418332848.jpgJGbust4.jpg.a45dd556a9c1f021de2a28032ee8ddff.jpg

JGbust3.jpg.b2fd43ccf24391e1ba17c073e621bbd7.jpg

I thought that might help when you get to the hair. I know the colors are not the same for the skin, sorry! I couldn't find an already painted image of this on the reaper site, so hope it helps! I'd forgotten about mine and it's been languishing on my desk. Glad you're working on yours!

You're doing awesome!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1