Sign in to follow this  
SkywalkerPaints

Are bones black miniatures limited?

Is the bones black owlbear and the other reaper bones black promotions that come with orders over $40 going to be on a limited run or will they be produced again at a later time? I missed the owl bear last January, but would love to get my hands on it.

It was in one of the Reaper Live videos posted on YouTube. Don't remember which one.  Sorry. 

There is also a brief mention of a few things here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84314-announcing-reaper-bones-black/

But such is also the intro post for Bones Black.  I would assume that more information regarding regular Bones Black releases would be announced in that initially mentioned "spring" timeframe, more than likely after recovering from shipping out the Bones IV Kickstarter packages.

• Like 1

I bet you'll see them again as part of a core pledge of a Bones 5: Black Edition Kickstarter announced later this year.

• Like 1

This is the only "official" thing I've seen about him returning, from the comments on the facebook announcement 

image.png.c6e42ffadead1a26244b1aacd228ca1c.png

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

This is the only "official" thing I've seen about him returning, from the comments on the facebook announcement 

image.png.c6e42ffadead1a26244b1aacd228ca1c.png

Ron started several times on Reaper Live that the owlbear "might" be returning for a later for a later promotion. He and Ed have dropped many, many heavy handed hints of a later bones black promotion/ thing later this year. I'd suspect there'll be an announcement at Reapercon. 

13 hours ago, nakos said:

Ron started several times on Reaper Live that the owlbear "might" be returning for a later for a later promotion. He and Ed have dropped many, many heavy handed hints of a later bones black promotion/ thing later this year. I'd suspect there'll be an announcement at Reapercon. 

I think one thing that might be causing confusion is in the original announcement it could easily be read that they'd always be available, and wouldn't drop out of stock once the month had ended...  As opposed to what I would assume was the intent of "hey, it's the promo for this month, get it now, and later on it will be introduced as a regular stock item" or such.  The words "always available" are usually interpreted as "not a special promo mini, it's just a freebie added in during the first month" 

I just wish the post wasn't so slow sometimes, because had I been able to see the troll sooner, I would have worked on getting a second one, as I kind of like it once I saw it in person.  Postal systems took two weeks this time to get me my package, usually it's only one (then again, it did bounce around USPS' system for several extra days, that probably didn't help) 

• Like 1

I recently received my order for some paint and they threw in Surkar, Orc Shaman of the REAPER Bones Black line. (Thanks!)
...although the actual casting material is not black at all, more of a grey/green.

THIS is what I expected the Bones white material to be like in every way.

I have to say I have been very disappointed in the material quality of the white Bones over the years. Way to flimsy and way too many mold lines which are made worse by the way too soft material as they are ridiculously difficult to trim/file away and weapons, ect are usually always warped and bent. There is also the issue of paint adhesion which can occur. The price is great, however, I would rather pay more for Black Bones quality.

Thus, I will only be purchasing Metal and Black Bones from now on.

I am in this hobby to enjoy it and that is not possible with minis of such a poor material quality that they are what might come out of some cheap vending machine. I refuse to allow this to become a new standard and new normal. Sure you get a lot, but I'll take quality over quantity any day. I would rather have one Black Bone mini than any number of White Bones. 
If you think I will ever try and straighten out bent weapons, ect of Bones White minis by using one of the myriad ways of doing so, those days are long gone. Like I say, I am in this wonderful hobby to enjoy it and with Black Bones maybe I can continue enjoying it.

REAPER brings the world a lot of awesome minis and their experimentation with non-metal materials is welcome, but Imho, they would do well to phase out the White Bones and replace them all with the Black Bones and never look back.

Edited by WIP
  • Like 1