• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LT-

All I can say is get the blues...  

1. Get at least 3 shades of blue paint.

2. Do some dry brushing and washing with these on top of your base metal.

3.  Ice Blue works wonderfully as the dry brush color, then try washing over this with Storm Blue or Midnight Blue.

Experiment on a couple of practice weapons.

SK

O.K. So here's a question. If you want the middle of said weapon to be dark and the edges light, would this technique work? Or what if you want it dark towards the hilt/base and glowing towards the tip? And (yes there is a "AND") how would you do other types of weapons, like and axe or hammer?

Lady Tam

I'm not sure if this will help. †I use gold, silver, brass, etc. metallics to start. †I try to highlight and dry brush. †I just want them to represent magic or unusual properties. †Keep in mind the purple, green, red, blue, etc. metallics. †Makes for some evil looking enchanted weapons. †I hope this gets you a little closer.

rm

Tamiya makes a line of transparent paint: red, blue, green, yellow, and smoke.

I paint the weapon etc with either silver or gold and then apply the transparent paint over it. Silver seems to be better for most of them, gold better for red, green, or yellow but it's better to experiment. Surface tension will cause the paint to draw away from the edges and upper surface causing the paint to highlight itself. You can also add shadows to the metallic paint, aka graphite to silver etc before putting down the transparent.

I've had good results with it anyhow.

we've talked about pearlescent paints in other threads: i find those as a final wash enhances the glowing effect.

Note that this doesn't _replace_ any of the techniques mentioned earlier! Do that technique first (whichever you've chosen) then add pearlescent paint over the top of everything else.

And, of course, using gloss coat while the rest of the mini is matte coated will further enhance the effect.

Here is a bright and glowing subject you will all recognize:

1157_wallpaper280.jpg

The key to anything glowing is that it has a blazing white core, and gets darker as you move out from the center of the glow.

The best way to get a sword to glow is to make the spine and the line where the sword meets the hilt crisp white, and shade outwards (in any color you want, blue, green, yellow etc). At the tip of the sword you can add a bit of white highlight for an unnatural sparkle effect that really only is captured in photographs due to lenses.

If it's an axe, I would stem the glow starting at the joint of the axe blade and the shaft.

The rest of the mini can also be painted and shaded with this light source in mind so as to make it more effective.

Just as a warning, this technique can create a photogenic miniature (if executed well, which I lack the skills to show you an example), but may look odd in a 3D environment where light comes from all sides.