Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

Glowing weapons

Great Tips Mengu!  I will definately be trying this!  I am looking to do a sword for a D&D character I play in Living Greyhawk!

Glowing swords.

Visit your nearest autobody.

The specialty paints for "Candy" and "Ghost" effects are spectacular.

They give a depth and luminousity that can not be beat by water base.

(Opinion, very humble)

Very tough to catch on film.

You can see the paint catch stray light and bend it optically around the weapon.

The catch is they want to sell you quantities to paint a car.

They do keep touch up quantities, just ask politely and lead them to believe you will be back with your car.

Ode

Ral Partha use to make Glow in the Dark paint... I've also seen luminescent powder available at craft stores that you could try sticking to your weapon by mixing it in varnish.

Thats assuming you want a weapon that physically glows.

Okay, I've actually heard of people putting an LED in the figures base and running optical fibre to the glowing bits- but that was eyes on a big freakin' monster and probably hard to even think too much about on ordinary character figs.

Wouldn't LEDs and Phiber Optic rods require a power source? it'd be kinda bulky to have a 25 mm figure with a battery back twice its size dangling behind... :P

I have an idea here that you can try on some spare scrap metal from cleaning your minis to see if it works.  

Down Aisle 10 of the store I work at there is a product called glow-in-the-dark varnish.  It dries clear, but when the lights are turned out, it glows.  

Can also try flourescent blue colored paints, and see if drybrushing with those makes the sword appear to be glowing...

Another thing I once heard about and I'm not sure if it works so my best suggestion to you is tro try it on a piece of scrap first.  Use a small piece of sponge and slowly lightly sponge color onto the sword or other weapon starting with the darkest color and proceeding through to the lightest color.

Wouldn't LEDs and Phiber Optic rods require a power source? it'd be kinda bulky to have a 25 mm figure with a battery back twice its size dangling behind... :P

If you use a GW style raised [slota] base, you can connect the LED to a watch battery underneath the base.