Vacaroja

Comparing Paint Strippers

So I've been using Simple Green to clean up ancient paint jobs as that's what a majority of advice has said is best.  But today I got wind of Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover and gave it a try.  The results were impressive and I thought I'd share.

I already had a piece sitting in Simple Green.  Old Grenadier orc.

468060006_20190227_172507(800x617).jpg.4ece88619ceaef0dd59eb10badbefdd0.jpg

Had it in there for two days and then spent about 15 minutes scrubbing it vigorously with the handy toothbrush and picking at it with a hobby knife until I lost patience to get as much as I could off.  As usual, hard to get spots and deeper details still had paint/primer in them.  The cloak is the biggest example of this.  Would have required another dose or two and more picking patience for me to get it to a satisfactory level.

2014283259_20190227_174741(617x800).thumb.jpg.f9466bfa514dd7d0881dde936f620030.jpg742803302_20190227_174747(616x800).thumb.jpg.ada2aca59e062cb6ec4db5a443845c48.jpg

Then I tried the Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover with these guys.

1194639851_20190227_191239(800x618).jpg.18d63c4401f1538edf79a10318901127.jpg

About 10 minutes in the Graffiti Remover, about a minute to scrub with the toothbrush (no picking with a knife), and rinsed in warm water and these were the results.

1909245467_20190227_195648(800x619).jpg.fca1e34fdb87bd25c060eae7097dc634.jpg

You can see there was still some paint in the crevices, particularly between the legs of the dwarf and around the eyes of the mage, but a another quick 5 minute soak and scrub and it was all removed.  They look practically brand new!

I popped the first guy into it and a Bones figure as well, and the results were equally nice.  Note, the Bones figure was only partially painted, top half.  Orc's cloak was all cleaned up and the Bones figure suffered no ill effects.

1353540091_20190227_195718(800x619).jpg.66fc7c188062b189e4f4367de0152f7d.jpg

Overall, the Krud Kutter worked much faster, easier, and more thorough.  The smell of it was less aggravating too.  SDS says it's water-based and biodegradable.  It's all alcohols.  I did keep in mind that since it is a paint remover, I did it in my metal kitchen sink and not the enamel bathroom sink.

I'm sold on this stuff.  I'm never using Simple Green again.

• Like 14

Simple Green would probably be safer for longer soaking of plastics, but using a paint remover is always going to be quicker than a less specifically formulated solvent. Simple ISO/rubbing alcohol should get similar results, but it will destroy plastics/resins if left too long, and it's not really reusable due to how fast it'll become inert when exposed to air. Simple Green can be reused multiple times, but it will eat some metals if left long enough - I have a couple die cast cars that have some awesome "weathering" after a 5-6 week bath in SG. I keep a jar of SG with stuff I leave soaking until I need them, like clogged paint bottle tips. That being said, I do have a bottle of the Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover in my amazon cart :p

Edited by IgwanaRob
  • Like 2

I had similarly good results using W&N Brush Cleaner/Restorer.  24 soak took everything off, even the old testors remnants.  Effective, if expensive.  I put the results in this thread because the Krud Kutter is probably a cheaper option (and maybe quicker) for the same result so I would recommend that instead.

Also the W&N can't be used on plastics (the label specifically warns against it).  But curiousity about its effectiveness stripping metal has now been satisfied.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, IgwanaRob said:

Simple Green can be reused multiple times, but it will eat some metals if left long enough - I have a couple die cast cars that have some awesome "weathering" after a 5-6 week bath in SG

Hmmmm... guess that batch of ebay Chaos space marines that have been soaking for... 5.5 years?... is now a science experiment. Think it had one or two pewter minis in it. Hey, I had other things to do... they looked fine last year...

Guess they're now DOOMed space marines? (Duke Nukem/DOOM reference).

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 4:01 PM, ManvsMini said:

Hmmmm... guess that batch of ebay Chaos space marines that have been soaking for... 5.5 years?... is now a science experiment. Think it had one or two pewter minis in it. Hey, I had other things to do... they looked fine last year...

Guess they're now DOOMed space marines? (Duke Nukem/DOOM reference).

Some rotting power armor would make for some cool terrain if they decayed anything close to way the cheap die-cast metal does. Gotta find them and take some pics, describing them doesn't do any justice to what happened to them.

Edited by IgwanaRob
  • Like 1

I picked up a bottle of Krud Kutter graffiti remover today at Home Depot. I intend to try it on one of the Wizkids preprimed minis when I get a chance.

Thirty minute soak and a quick scrub with a stiff bristle brush removed ninety percent of the primer. I suspect a second soak will remove the rest. I want to try one of the glued pieces next to see if it does anything to the glue.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, K2h2m3 said:

Thirty minute soak and a quick scrub with a stiff bristle brush removed ninety percent of the primer. I suspect a second soak will remove the rest. I want to try one of the glued pieces next to see if it does anything to the glue.

It will definitely eat through CA glue.  If you look at the pics of the dwarf before and after you'll see there's the little knob on the end of the mace missing.  It was a piece I had glued on after accidently popping it off.  Came off not long after I sprayed him with Krud Kutter.  Luckily, I had him sitting in a glass jar so I didn't lose the piece.

• Like 2

Any consensus on what is the best one to use on resin specifically? 

Just found this video about stripping all kinds of paint from hard plastic minis. It was an amazing watch. Guy painted up spears with acrylic paint, spray primer, airbrush primer, enamel paint, spray paints, airbrush varnish, & rattle can varnish. He used 6 different strippers. Dude found 2 strippers that worked on everything. One I have in my kitchen and never heard of using it to strip minis. No idea if it's safe for softer PVC minis though. LINK

• Like 1