Getting to know you March 2019 brought to you by Glitterwolf

Glitterwolf

I honestly can't say I miss anything about old gadgets. Part of that is because I never had many gadgets to begin with. The other part is simply not caring. I mean, this little pocket computer is wildly powerful, can do all sorts of neat stuff, and I mostly use it to ignore who ever is calling me (if it's important they'll leave a message...) and browse the Internet looking at cute animals. 

The things i miss about about my life X many years ago have nothing to do with technology.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

Your cellphone and PC can do almost everything these days, which gadget from the past do you miss / which  thing your phone and PC can do, do you like best?

Mirroring some answers here, but I still much prefer an actual calculator with individual buttons than using my smartphone.

And my wristwatch, with hands for hours, minutes and seconds, is still my preferred time piece. No need for a nearby charger as the batteries in them last for ages. No software update is ever required, and I only really need to update the time twice a year (daylight savings).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about the second part of the question. 

I like that that I can store so much information on my pocket computer. I have a database of paints, painted minis, and dolls on this thing (there's a few unpainted minis, but I found that I just had too many :lol: ). I have notes and documents about character ideas. I have a calendar that reminds me when I have appointments. 

Its pretty neat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

Your cellphone and PC can do almost everything these days, which gadget from the past do you miss / which  thing your phone and PC can do, do you like best?

Nothing in particular comes to mind.  If a gadget was useful enough for me to miss it, I still use it.  For example, I've never used my phone as a calculator.  Some people like actual calculators so there are a good dozen of them strewn around the area where I work.

I like the internets, but not on my phone.  And video games, but if I never played another game on my phone I'd be ok. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

There's not much from my personal past that I miss that I can do today with the Magic of Technology(tm).  I always wanted a pocketwatch though, with a chain to a vest buttonhole.  Of course, not wearing vests makes that a little difficult.  I think, when I was a teenager, my fashion goal was pseudo-Victorian professor.  But that'd require wearing ties a lot, wouldn't it?  Well, so much for that...

I also miss not having a cell phone.  Sure, I can keep in touch with friends and family easy but so can work.

What do I like best about modern technology?  My iPad.  I have all of my RPG PDFs on there, ebooks, some of my music, etc.  And it has a cellular connection, so I can browse the internet from almost anywhere.  (And tether my work laptop to it so I can save the world from anywhere, like a moving train...  I'd like to not do that again.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

Like a lot of people here, I can't think of any gadgets that I miss. We really are spoiled nowadays with all the nifty stuff we have access to. 

My phone is pretty creaky for a smartphone, but I love having a camera with me all the time. I've got more than my fair share of cat photos on it, but I also use it for snapping pics of whatever paint colours I used to paint a certain mini. This comes in very handy as I tend to flutter from project to project like a caffeine crazed butterfly ::D:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

Not sure there's anything I truly miss per second. Maybe my Atari? Or Commodore 64? There was a certain elegance in their simplicity. 

As for the phone/PC, it would have to be the games. The amount the tech has progressed is pretty awesome. Even for relatively "dumb" games it's nice to always have them handy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

fashion goal was pseudo-Victorian professor.  But that'd require wearing ties a lot, wouldn't it? 

You don't have to wear a tie for a more casual look. You could be the young, hip prof that leaves his top button unbottoned. Scandalous, to be sure. All the young lady students love your classes :lol:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 3/13/2019 at 1:59 AM, Glitterwolf said:

March 13th.

What was your favorite toy from your childhood?

On 3/14/2019 at 2:17 AM, Glitterwolf said:

March 14th.

25 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND CHALLENGE MARCH 15th - 17th.

Do you like to visit Themeparks, Zoo, Fairs?

Show us some pics.

I drew a blank for the last few days. I can't recall any favorite toy from my boyhood. I never had any attachment to gadgets or material things in general. AND I don't visit theme parks and such places.

I may be an unintentional hermit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Show us some pics.

I've never been to a theme park, but I enjoy zoos and fairs. Fairs to a lesser extent, because of crowds. I prefer Wild parks more. I'll try to dig up some pictures... I know Hubby took a few of me riding a camel at a fair.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Show us some pics.

Trick question I playfully say...  So I playfully say no, I do not like theme parks (aka amusement parks) I absolutely LOVE them! 

One of these days I'll visit the Calgary Zoo (sort of hoping to go this year, but we shall see if that falls in line), the Valley Zoo here in town has apparently changed a fair bit since I was last there, so I wouldn't mind going again (doubly so since I apparently love correcting parents who are all "awww, look at the baby fox" when they're talking about a fennec fox that's several years old...). 

As for theme parks, I posted a pic I took of the loop section for the Mindbender a few days ago so I'd strongly suspect I like me some roller coasters... :wub:

I used to love KDays, but lately summer has been waaay too stupidly hot to go to such a thing - that and just to get in the door (with ride passes and whatnot) for two people it's over $100 now for the day, so that adds up quick. 

But yeah, I love a good amusement park - my favourite was Wild Rapids in Sylvan Lake, which sadly closed a few years ago.  World Water Park ("conveniently" located in the same mall the amusement park containing the Mindbender is in) is a lot of fun, but I miss just how epic the outdoor water parks are.  Plus side though, World Water Park issss open in the winter... 

I do miss a few rides that aren't at Galaxyland anymore though... 

- Drop of Doom.  Twelve stories in four seconds, what's not to love! 

- Disco Dynamo.  Sooo much fun, but an interesting g force ride if you sit on the inside.  Was replaced with.. Something a lot more tame several years ago

- Galaxy Twister. I almost beat the record for back to back rides on this yeaaars ago, except I'd made the mistake of having a 7-11 Big Gulp like twenty minutes before getting on.  I was two rides short of meeting the record (I was at 13 ,record was 15 at the time).  Don't mix large drinks with trying to go several hours on a ride, they don't cooperate very well::P:

Swings are still there though, they're always fun... 

Any city I visit, if they have roller coasters.... I try to get on it when I'm there... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Show us some pics.

Yes, we visit all of those. Themeparks are a bit harder to get to from here but we've been to a few over the years. Canada's Wonderland, Disneyland, Legoland and some others. I prefer nature so we've done a bunch of wild parks in Canada and the US. Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Wateron Lake, Banff and more. Zoos are always fun and if there's one in any city we're travelling through we'll try to stop. The last few years we've been to zoos in Minot, North Dakota, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Manitoba and Calgary, Alberta. Fairs aren't so common anymore near us but we Go to the Exhibition in REgina, Saskatchewan regularly and have been to the North Dakota state fair.

Red Panda having a snooze in Winnipeg a year ago.

20180303_125943.thumb.jpg.2fe148a6ac29d21640f522fae373981b.jpg

Not sure what category this fits under but a scandanavian style church in Minot. that's in a park/museum.

IMG_1295.thumb.JPG.729284eb3a4cc2acf6bb7f15872f4e07.JPG

Don't have older photos of some other interesting spots on this computer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1