Getting to know you March 2019 brought to you by Glitterwolf

Glitterwolf

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

Can we not have fax machines anymore? Whyyyyy?

I still get asked for a fax number. Or people ask me, to fax them, something every now and then. It is kinda surprising they went away.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Your Irish ancestors probably wouldn't have given a flip. Mine either. It's more an American holiday than an Irish one.

Good point. Maybe they’d be rather pleased I didn’t go for a raucous, Guinness-swilling bender. I finally looked up what the origin of it was. St. Patrick, landed in Ireland, started turning the place Christian, apparently he is thought to have worn green...is the short version. 

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@Werkrobotwerk does spell check need to be more modern or less modern? :lol:

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I think mine needs a factory reset, or just to be turned off. It's attempts to customize itself seem to have made it malfunction horribly.

At one point I convinced mine that my nickname for it, Chellspecker, is a legit word. But lately it has developed this thing of fixing a word (sometimes to a word I did not intend) and also repeating the preceding word. So I have to read what “we” wrote carefully. 

Or i I end up with a sentence like this one. (It fixed the lowercase “I” to an “I” But it left the first one, and there are more capitalization shenanigans in this sentence.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Everything. We're not at Star Trek yet.

I would settle for catching up with The Jetsons

*** ...looks at unflyable, non-flying Car in driveway. Has a sad... ***

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I still get asked for a fax number. Or people ask me, to fax them, something every now and then. It is kinda surprising they went away.

No, they need to die. It's mostly governmental agencies keeping them alive. We have lines daily at our fax machine at the library. It takes so long vs just scanning to email directly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I would settle for catching up with The Jetsons

*** ...looks at unflyable, non-flying Car in driveway. Has a sad... ***

Have you seen the drivers out there? :;,;: I'll pass on the flying cars, at least until after we have ubiquitous and reliable robot drivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND CHALLENGE MARCH 15th - 17th.

Do you like to visit Themeparks, Zoo, Fairs?

Show us some pics.

I sort of enjoy theme parks: I'm not a fan of lots of people or waiting in line for 3 hours to get on a 2 minute ride. Also, my back being all jacked up rather limits the types of rides I can get on. I still managed to enjoy myself when we to Universal Studios last year, though.

Fairs are more my style, and can be pretty fun.

I also enjoy Zoos, but that's a double edged sword.

I enjoy them, but hate that we've managed to screw up the planet so much that some species only hope of 'survival' is in captivity.

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 18th

What really needs to be modernized?

I'm going to join those who choose not to answer, and for the same reasons.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CashWiley said:

No, they need to die. It's mostly governmental agencies keeping them alive. We have lines daily at our fax machine at the library. It takes so long vs just scanning to email directly.

There are privacy advantages to fax machines. 

Of course, with many companies using services that basically convert the fax into a scan that's emailed, those advantages no longer exist unless both parties are using a real "old fashioned" fax. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

2 hours ago, CashWiley said:

There are privacy advantages to fax machines. 

Of course, with many companies using services that basically convert the fax into a scan that's emailed, those advantages no longer exist unless both parties are using a real "old fashioned" fax.

It is kinda surprising that some sort of alliance between Fax machine makers and Landline telephone service providers did not develop. Each needed the other to survive. 

And privacy should have been marketable concept. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND CHALLENGE MARCH 15th - 17th.

Do you like to visit Themeparks, Zoo, Fairs?

Show us some pics.

We love going to the annual Giant Lanterns of China after dark event at Edinburgh Zoo. I posted pictures of this years event in last months 'Getting to Know You' thread, but I found some photos of last years event.

We also make the long journey up to the Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore at least once a year. The animals have decent sized enclosures and even have a pair of Amur Leopards with cubs that are not on public display (they are trying to eventually release the younger ones into the wild.)

DSCN0420.thumb.JPG.1f49e313e6eaca87b2b2752ca65a9319.JPG

DSCN0459.thumb.JPG.ddc9cfa5d1588b4e6cfde7ee5dfbe6ef.JPG  DSCN0654.thumb.JPG.5edb76f2cfb33e9ff8ebc2b80fdbdaea.JPG

Wildlife Park

DSCN2231.thumb.JPG.377abea0fdfa2163dc55361e7cb7438c.JPG

DSCN2523.thumb.JPG.cec726beac3e8abda3b3d293ee5245c4.JPG

DSCN2740.thumb.JPG.62070e083b8272bc4a6819c860d0ef39.JPG

This little kitten might look adorable, but she's an extremely rare Scottish Wildcat. She's also one of the cutest things ever :D

DSCN2330.thumb.JPG.3f34b16b7eac088fbb0cec9c34ef5122.JPG

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

March 18th

What really needs to be modernized?

How we deal with waste, especially plastics. It's too convenient to use and people aren't going to stop using it for various reasons, so I'm always happy when I see a story like this-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-47454719

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1