The CIRCUS is coming to town! (50277, 02216, 50247)

Rigel

"STEP right up, ladiesangentlemen: come one, come all to the BERTON & BRADBURY MAGIC CIRCUS, home to the greatest-collection-of-esoteric-practitioners-the-world-has ever SEEN! WITNESS feats of legerdemain and sorcery beyond the grasp of mortal men! Be AMAZED by the death-defying stunts of our dexterous daredevil divas! MARVEL at the FREAKS OF NATURE collected-at-no-small-expense-to-purse-or-lifeanlimb from all corners of the earth! SEE the jaw-dropping power of the World's Strongest Man! GASP in awe at the lovely Beast-Tamer, who TOYS with RAVENOUS CARNIVORES as though they were but FEEBLE PUPS AND KITTENS! LAUGH at the antics of our inexhaustible supply of CLOWNS! Test your STRENGTH, try your LUCK, win fantastic PRIZES, yesSIR the world is YOURS at the CIRCUS!"

Any pulp or fantasy game can benefit from a travelling circus which may or may not be (it will be) involved in sinister plots. For fantasy, you've got bards, wizards, knife-throwing rogues, beasts, illusionists, and diviners to contend with; and the circus as cultural institution probably peaked during the pulp era and the formative years of midcentury science-fiction/weird/horror authors. Ray Bradbury, for one, is almost obsessed with circus themes, and you'll find them in Leiber, Lafferty, Simak, and (perhaps a bit on the nose here,) Barker. In more recent times, our most circus-intense artist is easily Tim Burton, and the Bartons from Marvel Comics (Clint and Barney) are also deeply tied to the circus. Hence the names I picked for this latest project: the Chronoscope carnival, the Magic Circus.

DSCN5652.thumb.JPG.5c1c2ed08898d02db3769eef389d1bbb.JPGDSCN5651.thumb.JPG.635c631e5b0e7c993a6055398ff71621.JPGDSCN5653.thumb.JPG.062a9da0cd4a9911b3db55afac0674de.JPGDSCN5654.thumb.JPG.cb7683da1af9053a5737eaf795c31f13.JPG

Here's the Ringmaster, Clive. (50277). A magnificently theatrical and over-the-top figure, stout and boastful. The elephant was, I think, a Schleich elephant calf which I modified with some paper accessories and paint.

And here are some CLOWNS! Kosmo, the Killer Clown (02216, Dark Heaven Legends, needs to be tagged with the Circus tag btw.), is a scary little fellow. Horrible grin, horrible face, that giant lollipop can't be sanitary. Every circus needs a clown with a Fear aura (to keep the children in line). 

DSCN5709.thumb.JPG.2462e49ef2d94fcb07da2ef540682c76.JPGDSCN5710.thumb.JPG.2c46c71d41f690b3ac12391caa7b35c1.JPGDSCN5712.thumb.JPG.699e0bdf0ba28bc60f279d7f1d11790d.JPG
DSCN5713.thumb.JPG.09b6a0fda3b536c7e266dd52398db239.JPG
Zonkers (50247), comes with two heads and multiple accessories. Instead of the horrible scarecrow head I elected to use the friendlier one. He's the happy clown. The mallet is for the Test your Strength! High-Striker game. Mostly. 
DSCN5715.thumb.JPG.bafa8fcdfe43a50a28bb99f6be4f863c.JPGDSCN5716.thumb.JPG.c56f57122cf630381e1a47ee2e9e548d.JPGDSCN5717.thumb.JPG.6fd8f253b11eaa5d8b7537d2dffbb1b1.JPGDSCN5718.thumb.JPG.bc70cda189975c869d57f2a80523b345.JPG

And here's a shot including a Pulp Miniatures Drunk (from the Gangland Justice: 16th Precinct set) doubling as a sad-hobo clown.  

DSCN5719.thumb.JPG.287fe9affeb62dcb832779e4b09b3ccb.JPG

More to come! 

• Like 20

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh but I do love the Circus, especially the Clowns...I was shocked to find that my Sons & a lot of other children are terrified of Clowns. 

That aside, your Denizens of The Big Top are WONDERFUL creations. VERY WELL DONE!

Now I feel a need to dig out & paint my West Wind Circus Folks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Love it!

Thank you! It's good to be posting again.

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

Oh but I do love the Circus, especially the Clowns...I was shocked to find that my Sons & a lot of other children are terrified of Clowns. 

That aside, your Denizens of The Big Top are WONDERFUL creations. VERY WELL DONE!

Now I feel a need to dig out & paint my West Wind Circus Folks.

I *never* would have guessed you had an affinity for clowns...::P: 
Coulrophobia is pretty common in the younger generations; they grew up with IT. But clowns have always been dancing between whimsical and terrifying since before Pagliacci; they come straight from the Uncanny Valley. Hopefully it's a terror that adds spice to the enjoyment, as with the adrenaline from roller-coasters.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'd LOVE to see your circus folk! I'm surprised there isn't a fungal circus already!  

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

Every town the circus visited was missing a few citizens afterward.

People assumed they went along with the circus to work and travel with them, but we know better, don't we?

Absolutely. I imagine it's about 50-50: the circus life is appealing to young runaways, but if you anger a clown and get trapped forever behind a Funhouse Mirror in the topsy-turvy  Clownspace, your gesticulating reflection trying desperately to catch the eye of other fair-goers who assume you are just a special effect; well, that's on you. 

• Haha 1