Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

CIRCUS: Dr. VooDoo, Super Villain (50121)

Putting some of the magic into the Magic Circus! This sculpt (50121) is listed as a supervillain, but so over-the-top are the stereotypes and tropes that I would feel uncomfortable fielding him as an antagonistic bokor using the Petra or Rada for evil. Weirdly, though, I feel no such compunctions about using him as a purposely exaggerated showman fleecing corn-fed rubes out of their dimes with a flashy act. Prohibition-era yokels would eat that right up (and of course, there's probably a side racket going on involving rum. For ceremonial purposes only, of course.) 

And tabletop games being what they are, who's to say some Friends on the Other Side won't come a-calling uninvited when the player characters show up? 
DSCN5678.thumb.JPG.4759fa536d71cc659625c7aa4b144dfb.JPGDSCN5674.thumb.JPG.d9311128249e83ac1f9e6507f948f803.JPGDSCN5676.thumb.JPG.98939ca2ff43bcce52cb0c3317eb00d2.JPGDSCN5677.thumb.JPG.9bd5878bc9add68451cd446e7c5693a6.JPG

• Like 15

Nice job. I like the body paint.  I'll bet the special effects in his show look super real. :) 

Unfortunately my PCs are so paranoid now they'd go in with loaded guns and holy water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Awesome!

He looks great and his pet panther is a cool gimmick for the show ( unless it eats a visitor of course)..

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Warlady said:

Great job, especially his voodoo face paint!

Thank you; he has a very round, smooth face, so putting a skull on there wasn't the easiest. 

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

He looks great and his pet panther is a cool gimmick for the show ( unless it eats a visitor of course)..

Thanks! I think the panther is on loan from the Beast-Tamer, and acts as insurance in case one of the audience members tries to look too closely at a special effect.

13 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nice job. I like the body paint.  I'll bet the special effects in his show look super real. :) 

Unfortunately my PCs are so paranoid now they'd go in with loaded guns and holy water. 

Thank you! Your players are wise and genre-savvy! They might be better off with bribes of tobacco, hooch, and spicy food against the Loa though; respect and diplomacy go a long way. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iridil said:

Another great setting I see - wonderful figure and great scenery as usual!

Thank you! I've been waiting for an excuse to use some of those borders and design elements. Very happy about the sign on this one. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      My miniatures list has more varieties of pulp than a paper-mill town grocery's orange juice aisle. Mad scientists, apes, cultists, cosmic horrors, spacemen, sky pirates, zeppelineers, two-fisted heroes, etc. But not a lot of what was for several decades, the most common pulp villain. Let's paint something for our heroes to fight!

Artizan's Thrilling Tales line comes through once again. 
      Here are two horrible and officious jerks, on a pre-dawn hunt for Resistance agents. "Oberst von Stroop" is the one with the gun; "Major Kreipe" the one with the satchel and the dueling scar.

We've seen a couple of the Resistance before, but I believe this is the first time I've posted a picture of "Georges." I had fun with the argyle sweater-vest.

Georges' briefcase contains a surprise! 

Some more baddies: "Colonel Braun," a perfectly pompous sculpt, and the "Kaiserin" from Brigade Games. (Also Erwin Rommel, previously posted elsewhere).

(Couple more pictures of Zenith's commandoes, from 50075, if you click below.)

And on another, stranger front...
      This is "Private Trummer," an old and not particularly motivated soldier sent on special detail with a special unit. He sees nothing, he hears no-othing, and he knows NO-O-O-OTHING! 

It doesn't do to see, hear, or know too much when you're out with the armored Sturm Battalion Zorn. (Pictured: Flamethrower and Rifleman III. I added an extra gas tank from Bombshell to the Flamethrower unit.)

Battalion Zorn is led by "Captain Rohr," a merciless and ambitious creep.

Funnily enough, for a man who sees and hears nothing, Private Trummer has a knack for not being around in a crisis...

Finally, a group shot, as such groups should be. 

• By lexomatic
      This looks pretty fun. Apologies for formatting on my phone and stuff got lost. They pay a living wage
    • By Rigel
      Fishfolk Fisherman and Fishfolk Fishwife from Crooked Dice. The fisherman, in oilskins and sou'wester, is a perfect blend of the Gorton's mascot and his product. The bug-eyed fishwife with cleaver was a delight to paint, especially the Atlantic salmon.  

A shot of some of the Waite Fish Packing Concern's employees, featuring some old friends from RatTrap and BlackCat:

The Real Housewives of Innsmouth (including a repurposed Bonnie, 50293, with improvements upon her previous appearance):

and one of just the fellas:

Golly gee willikers I love painting fishmen. Special credit also to the Dreadmere Fishing Boat, 44032, the perfect touch for the setting.  
    • By Rigel
      My love for pulp, and particularly pulp aviators and aviatrices, is well-known. So this cheesecake propaganda pinup poster Sophie had to be. I was very glad indeed to see it back in production. Love everything about this sculpt from hair to boots. But you didn't come here to read; you came for the pictures!

Click for more angles:

Morale-boosting appearances for different branches

Plus one for the Kaiju Corps...

and a couple for the brainy boys in the white coats. (Hey, if we're already surfing bombs, might as well go full Strangelove.)

Guest appearances by 80070 and some Artizan Thrilling Tales figs, 50075, some Murch Pulp sailors,  a Nolzur's water elemental, a Pacific Rim action figure, and a repurposed plastic egg. I also replaced Sophie's wings with some smaller wings I had lying around; I have a plan for those larger wings and a larger devil.

Thanks for checking in!
    • By Rigel
      Now THIS is a Pulp Hero! An incredibly burly, fiercely-mustached Sikh with a chain-fed brass-jacketed machine gun. NorthStar UK lists him as Gagan Kayal; the American outlet Brigade Games lists him as Mohan Singh in their "Lord Curr's Company" set. Either way, a powerhouse with incredible style and devastating firepower. I roughed up the barrel of the gun with some Typhus Corrosion before painting it; the original sculpt is smoother. 

His arm hair is sculpted on, and after that, I'd be remiss not to give him some good chest and shoulder hair.

The time period is fairly ambiguous to one who, like me, is not a firearms historian, so the good Mr. Kayal can work from the turn of the previous century...

to the middle of said century.

Special guest appearances by 50029, British Colonial Riflemen, 50193, Thuggee Cultist, and 50221, Nazi Zombie Officer (and his Artizan co-workers). 
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 60 Guests (See full list)