Sign in to follow this  
PyroArrow

Got my Rock Troll and Trezzna the Minotaur figures Today!

Yes, I got them Saturday 03/02/2019 and boy did these figures take a hit in quality compared to my first box of reaper minis that had 2 each of the Owlbear (44001) and Ogre Clubber (77454)!

One of the Trezzna (02263) came with a bent right horn and an axe head that is bent backwards yet the box is not damage! Both of the Rock Troll (44002) came with mold lines and like a small hole in it's left side! 

So, why did whomever box the Trezzna not bother to straighten them out before it was put in it's blister pack?!?! 

Should I risk trying to bend it back to the right shape?!

I am still looking forward to order efreeti (44003) this month and maybe another figure! Just hope it doesn't turn out like the Rock Troll!

Also, I am looking for role-play stats for the rock troll, are there any????

• Like 1

The Rock Troll had quite a few aggravating problems as you described, fortunately they are easily filled. The Bones Black will respond to the hot water treatment for straightening bent parts. Good luck!

• Like 3

That troll caused a lot of discussion on the forums. So much so that Reaper actually made a video here to show one way to fix the gaps on this specific mini. I don't think they show how to fill the hole in it's side, but the same glue method should work after smoothing down the rough edges with a hobby knife or sanding files. They used school glue, but I never tried that method. I generally use plastic putty or 2-part epoxy like Milliput or green stuff.

It looks like there will be a learning curve to the new Bones Black manufacturing process, kinda like there was with the original Bones process. It is surprising that they went with such a poorly molded figure for the February promotion. The owlbear was great. Hope the efreeti is solidly cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1jxc7e2gsc

• Like 2

You would think they would do a test casting first and just give those test away if they came out like the Rock Troll did.

Also it's was the metal Trezzna (02263), that came with the bent right horn and axe head. I would think they could be bent back to shape without breaking.

It is just weird that it is bent like that yet the blister pack shows no sign of being squished in to have caused those bends.

Thanks for pointing out the the video clip CorallineAlgae!

• Like 1

I’d usually use hot water for the metal, as with Bones. I think it makes the metal a little more pliable so the margin of error between bending and breaking is more forgiving. And then skip the cold water and let it come to room temp on its own. 

And yeah. That troll is a bit of a project just to get ready for paint. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PyroArrow said:

You would think they would do a test casting first and just give those test away if they came out like the Rock Troll did.

I mean, they...did... just give the trolls away. :poke:

As for your bent axe, I've got a solution for you and a reason for the problem. Both come with the caveat: I am not a Reaper employee. My knowledge comes from years in the hobby and taking a few Reaper factory tours.

The solution is to simply bend the axe-head back into line. Bend it slowly and don't twist it. You'll probably hear or feel some crackling, this is normal, but it also means you want to slow it down a little bit. I've successfully fixed swords, limbs, bows and all sorts of other spindly parts this way.

If the axe does break while you bend it back, a pin vise, small drill bit and a paperclip should do the trick to soon and glue it back together.

I'll also mention, if you haven't already, you can contact help(at)reapermini (dot)com and ask if they can help at all.

As for a possible cause: I don't see a release date for Trezzna, but it's an older SKU number and a Garrity sculpt, so it's been around a while.

The way Reaper makes minis, a single casting of a mold produces several copies of a mini at once. Reaper might get an order for one copy, cast the mold and wind up with seven or so extras. They'll all go in a bin and wait for more sales... Meanwhile, they sit in the bin.

The bins get moved around from time to time for a variety of reasons, so these minis will rattle around a bit. Depending on when the last casting of Trezzna happened, the copy you got might be a veteran of several moves, jostling, etc.

Depending on the size of the blister compared to the figure, the mini might also just rattle around in shipment, knocking against the walls of its plastic prison hard enough to bend thinner pieces without actually suffering any damage to the packaging.

• Like 4