Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Rob Dean
This hasn’t been a particularly good month for painting. I had a week off back on the 9th, but, as shown here, my desk had gotten too cluttered to actually get much painting done. I’m also off this week, and decided that I would try just putting one task on the desk at a time, to see if that would help. My son has been diligently working on his Bronze Age DBA armies, so I decided that I would finally get started on the last stand of figures I needed to finish my 2nd DBA army. (DBA : De Bellis Antiquitatis, a popular set of ancient wargames rules for small figure collections to be played on a small table.) Earlier this year, I had managed to get all of my 13th C BCE Libyan infantry done, to match against my New Kingdom Egyptians, but I still needed a “chariot general” base.
Son and I have been working this project intermittantly for about fifteen years, and we have a deep stash of Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale plastic figures. There is no “official” Libyan chariot, so I cobbled one together using an Egyptian chariot body, horses from a different (Mitanni) chariot set, and a Libyan commander pose. He’s a little too wide to be able to fit a driver in as well, so, artistic rendering...
We used to mount our chariots on a 40mm wide by 60mm deep base, but the DBA rules call for 60mm by 80mm. The single chariot looks a little lonely, and there isn’t room for a pair of them, so he and I agreed that we would generally mount a couple of “chariot runners” with each vehicle.
Most of my Libyans are done with cloaks painted to represent hairy hides from spotted cows, in keeping with the modern painting guide depictions. However, searching around for actual contemporary Egyptian depictions of Libyans came up with this (I’ve cropped a single figure out of a group of four):
I did my best to replicate the alternating rows of “eyes” and “arrows” on the general’s cloak, and echoed the pattern on the chariot body decorations because “why not?”. At least any historical nit-pickers are likely to have seen the same picture...
Here’s the completed “army”. With the Egyptians, I can at least stage a remote game without using proxy figures, although we are starting to look forward to getting together for an actual games day sometime again (probably still six months off...). Maybe my next army, the Nubians, will be ready by then as well.
By Rob Dean
You know what sort of year it’s been when you think to yourself that you played a game “recently”, only to find that it was last October.
So, in a “recent” game of Dragon Rampant, I was using a scenario from the related game Lion Rampant which called for three “wagon” markers for one side to be escorting. I had two 1/72 scale plastic wagons or carts at the time, so I threw in a noblewoman (an old Airfix mounted Maid Marion figure) as a third element to be escorted. Afterward, I pulled some farm animals out of the plastics collection and decide to add some flock/herd bases to the baggage train.
However, pandemic, etc...I finally got the sheep painted yesterday, deciding at the last minute (earlier this week) that they would look better with someone to keep an eye on them. The shepherd is another of the ubiquitous Robin Hood set figures. While I was at the desk and working, I also finished up an addition to the NPC/civilian/camp follower collection. This figure came from the Strelets/Linear-B Roman Transport set, and didn’t look particularly Roman, so she gets added into the general 1/72 fantasy pool.
Sir Forescale would pass as an ogre with these guys.
Anyway, it felt good to get something done, even small...
By Rob Dean
Ok, gang, I’ll be honest. I shouldn’t post this now without all the well written explanation of what I’m about here, but it isn’t coming and I would like to get this posted...
Earlier this year, in the before times, I did another of these stands. These are for a Hordes of the Things elvish army (primarily) and are expected to be “beast” stands — rapidly moving, at home in rough terrain.
This was a speed paint; all three figures took an hour.
With the 1/72s, I like to paint a little more than is necessary, for my own amusement. Here’s a closer crop of the sorceress:
The leaf pattern freehand is a bit dodgy. Amazingly, the necklace is actually cast into the figure.
But it’s all a bit irrelevant when the whole group is arrayed on the stand:
A bit over contrasty; had to use a flash to take the pictures.
A layer of sand and glue to hide the bases, a couple of tufts, some flock, and a spray varnish and they are as ready as they are going to get:
By Rob Dean
A little expedient painting...I am still trying to finish my 12-stand De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) army of 13th century BC Libyans, and they get a stand of mercenary Sea Peoples blades. So, here it is. As with the other Libyan stands, the figures are drawn from a Caesar Miniatures box set of ~40 figures in 12 poses, of which we have great store.
Who's Online 16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)