Sign in to follow this  
NecroMancer

Photography C&C please (photo heavy)

Demon could maybe be focused better, but everything else is beautifully done IMHO. 

Not photography-related, but I love the lichen effects and nebula cloak. Beautiful paint jobs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, they look great except for the Demon who has the lesser pic.

• Thanks 1

The naga had me draw back a moment. Love The Ring girl look to its head. Apparently that movie still freaks me out.

• Like 2

I found that if I using a background that had some color variation, a lot of the focus and exposure issues went away.  A solid black or solid white background messed with the auto focus/white balance features of my camera.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mutilatedlips said:

The naga had me draw back a moment. Love The Ring girl look to its head. Apparently that movie still freaks me out.

Yeah I wanted it to be a separate color from the body.  I had seen other people paint ot the same as the underbelly and it just didn't stand out enough.  Looks like I could add some shadows to better define the face though. 

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

I found that if I using a background that had some color variation, a lot of the focus and exposure issues went away.  A solid black or solid white background messed with the auto focus/white balance features of my camera.

Thanks!  I set the white balance myself but I have heard that some color variation can help with photos so I will give it a try. 

I've been using a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper.  I looks something like this.

Capture.PNG.384131b6e8a28eba7d9e1b09aef36150.PNG

• Thanks 1

A reflector (or another, less powerful, lamp) aimed into the shadows for minis like the giant-hatted wizard would help with avoiding those featureless black shadows.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Any tips on angles?  Should I be shooting at a higher angle?  Or from the side?

I always shoot straight into my light box with the view centered on the upper chest.  I also shoot at a slight down angle, but nothing too dramatic.

The model is rotated as needed to get the best pose. 

• Thanks 1