Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

CIRCUS: Herq, the Strong Man (50273)

"STEP right up, ladiesangennlemen, to BEHOLD Herq the Turk, the modern world's greatest student of physical culture! From the Bosporus, standing six foot six in his socks and weighing TWO hundredan'sixty-three pounds NONE of it fat, a Hercules or Gargantua for the twentieth century, with a neck thicker than a normal man's waist and a chest LIKE A BRICK OVEN! He's got an arm like a leg, and a punch that could SINK A BATTLESHIP!  Watch him bend IRON BARS as though they were WAX! Watch him juggle kettlebells no other man could LIFT! His very MUSCLES have muscles!"

50273 is a whimsical sculpt, bald as an egg and with mustachios that would make Poirot weep with envy. Looks like Stieg Brinegrog's (03627) brother who's taken care of his waistline. I did the weights up in ArmyPainter Rough Iron mixed with a touch of black, and decided on slimming vertical stripes on the shorts and horizontal stripes on the tank top, so as to deceive the eye into seeing him as even bulkier. 

Of course, on a canvas like this, you gotta add some shoulder, back, and chest hair. The sight of him shirtless is "STRONGLY contraindicated for children, ladies prone to the vapors, or gentlemen of nervous disposition, and attendants ARE on hand to remove those audience members who faint at the sight of SO MUCH MAN!!"

DSCN5691.thumb.JPG.4c795c5d7a2e7c3133d3f176fbef1013.JPGDSCN5690.thumb.JPG.268d519e15e83923e6d2a8328ca52600.JPGDSCN5689.thumb.JPG.8d23dbc40986bf513870eb600c824e79.JPGDSCN5688.thumb.JPG.e6fa9351c09c43dcbb6a116468f15e29.JPG

DSCN5687.JPG

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I believe even his mustache has muscles!

Well done!

Thank you!
The mustache certainly has plenty of practice with curls...

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      I've coveted this sculpt for years but couldn't justify it until very recently. BUT! Just before this past Free RPG Day, indie game designer Emmy Allen released a game called Deep Morphean Transmissions. The PCs are told they are espionage and counterintel agents infiltrating various levels of the collective unconsious. Not all of their given information is reliable. It is fun mystery solving times. Think Delta Green crossed with Dreamlands Call of Cthulhu with a dash of Paranoia, but much more rules-light.

Anyway, one faction in said game is the Squid-Men from Ib.
      From the (public-domain) text:

"Picture an octopus or cuttlefish, its bag-like body protruding from the collar of a smart evening suit, eyes and beak lopsided as they peer at you, tentacles extending within the clothing to simulate limbs and hands. Its limbs bend wrong, its movements are too fluid, it squirms and flows as it moves. From the inside-pocket of its jacket, with alien deftness, it withdraws a black steel revolver.

...You’d be surprised how often the locals will ignore the fact that the person they’re talking to is a seven-foot-tall octopus."

It was too perfect. For the color scheme, I went with the one used on my Edofleini ( https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86756-spacefuture-bombshells-edofleini-brain-squids-from-space/ ) and the most forgettable grey G-man suit possible. The midcentury fedora is an eyelet judiciously mutilated with pliers.

Guest appearance by Rattrap's Bridget O'Rourke, whom we have seen before. https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82674-the-arkham-advertiser-editor-and-photography-division/ 

Patrick Keith really knocked this one out of the park with its pulpy polypous menace. I need to get another to paint in a lab coat and brown suit. And I need to play some more Deep Morphean Transmissions. We ALL should. That is me, Rigel, recommending it of my own free will. Not an octopoid doppelganger trying to spread a memetic paradigm rendering the mammalian brain less hack-resistant. In fact, I'm under no outside influence at all, mental or otherwise, because Squid Men are definitely fictional and always have been, and ontological weapons are banned also purely fictitious. As well you know, citizen. 
    • By Rigel
      Last couple of weeks have kept me busy, but I'm back! (Briefly.)
      60191 is a gorgeous, gracile sculpt by Derek Schubert. A Pathfinder mini, but much more "clean" and less "busy" than many others. Crisp and elegant detail. 
      I love making coral colors from oranges and whites, so her kimono is an orange-to-white-peach gradient. A passerby suggested the contrasting green of the bow and hair wrap (ArmyPainter Kraken Skin). 

The cherry blossom motifs on the kimono are Rhinox Hide and matte white; on the fans, they are Rich Espresso metallic dark bronze and Runefang Steel silver.

This isn't my best work, but it easily cracks the top ten IMO. Took two sessions so far. I'll probably fiddle more with the details of shading and tassels/beads later, but I'm eager to post something. 

More pics with very slight variations below. Sorry for the poor lighting; sun went down while I was making the Shinto arch. 

• By Rigel
      Miskatonic's most intrepid researchers go to the ends of the earth for their research projects--and some ends are more terminal than others! 
      Here's Reaper's Antarctic Explorer, 80072. (Though I'm sure he could work as an Arctic explorer, too, in a pinch.) Bearded, bespectacled, and well-insulated, this guy is perfect for the Pabodie Expedition. The barrel of his rifle was unfixably bendy, so I replaced it with a portion of straight-pin. Used the same color scheme as my Zeppelin crew. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Arctic ice holds Santa's Workshop and Captain America. The Antarctic ice holds shoggoths and the THING. Don't go digging in Antarctica.

"The sun never sets in January this far south, but my chronometer indicated I had been hiking for eighteen hours. In all that time, I could see no man or beast, but the persistent cries of "Tekeli- li! Tekeli-li!" sounded bleatingly in my ears."

"The monolith must have been in this valley for uncounted ages, exposed to sub-freezing temperatures since the advent of the glaciers, yet it was warm to the touch. No snow stayed on it."

"Day 6 in frozen hell. The katabatic storms have reduced visibility to all but nil. Have concluded Man has no place in interior of this blasted continent, here at the bottom of the world."

Special guest appearance by a repainted Schleich penguin and an Elder Thing from a Pathfinder random box. 
    • By Rigel
      Also known as Indiana Bones! (Okay, maybe not.) 80033, Frank Buck, was a two-fisted pulp sculpt I picked up many years back. In my foolish youth, I spray-primed him, and he got all kinds of sticky. Simple Green and a repaint cleared things right up! 

Also featured are a couple of treasure piles from a TerrainCrate that I finally got around to slapping some Greedy Gold and Runefang Steel onto. Those treasures BELONG in a MUSEUM!

I also picked up a two-pack of Nolzur's dungeon doors at my FLGS not too long ago. The doors actually open and close, which I thought a very classy touch. Since our hero here is pretty much a pulp-era dungeoneer, this seemed like a good place to show them off.  Front, closed:
      Front, open:

Back, open:
      Back, closed.

Now that I see them, I should probably put some rust or patina on those hinges and hardware...
    • By Rigel
      Jetpacks! The dieselpunk / pulp accessory every high-flying hero needs! 
      The beautifully retro twin-turbine jetpacks from Bombshell are gorgeous and also come in a pack of five for less than the cost of one of their regular Babes or Counterblast crew. That's the sort of savings I can get behind! And now those same savings are getting behind my aeronautically-inclined pulp miniatures, where the posture permits.

First up is 50107, Afterburn. I made him a pulp-era Iron Man type, but of course repulsor technology was not as developed back in the '30s as it was in the 21st century. Solution: Jetpack. 

The vivid colors are great, but there's something to be said for classic unadorned silver as well. And my Zeppelin crew needed an upgrade as well as a good dose of wash for their uniforms. I made sure that this jetpack on Dieter used blue-green Mad Science rather than flames, as traditional fossil-fuel jets don't play nicely with dirigibles.

Artizan has a good selection of Sky Pirates which I augmented with judiciously-chosen Reaper figures, but--shockingly!--no personal propulsion devices. I figured any jetpacks they would have would be second-hand at best, so this Sky Pirate gets a rusted, battered version. 

And we'll finish with 50158, Grant Dylan. Not quite Iron-Man red and gold, but a good bronze-and-copper tone works for this flying ace. 
      NOTE TO IMPRESSIONABLE READERS: Grant Dylan is a *professional.* Wearing a scarf as well as a jetpack is STRONGLY contraindicated for amateurs and dilettantes. 

And that still leaves us with another pack for future use! Keep watching the skies, cadets!
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)