Basing

The person I'm painting for in the Mini Exchange has requested a Warlord fig with a base suitable for gaming.

Unfortunately, I haven't painted a Warlord before, and as excited as I am to get my brushes on one of those gorgeous figs, I have no idea what "a base suitable for gaming" entails. Usually I just paint my broccoli base and that's it. Could someone give some advice?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty simple, Kelli. If the figure is a normal character-sized fig (about 25 - 28mm), then it should go on a one inch square base.

For cavalry pieces, use a 1x2" base.

Large monsters use two inch square bases.

I don't remember all the other size catagories at the moment, but the largest is resurved for gigantic monsters (dragons and such), and are the size of a compact disk (finally a use for all those AOL things lying around.)

Reaper makes square slotted bases for Warlord figs. They also have a beveled-edged pewter 1" (among other sizes) that allows you to easily convert Dark Heavens figs for Warlord. Glue the mini to the base, fill it in with greenstuff, then prime and base as normal.

I generally cut off the tab and put the mini on a peice of appropriately-sized sheet metal.

The legal sizes:

Standard 1" square (most humanoid minis)

Large: 1.5" square (Lupines, Minotaurs, and I think some of the smaller monsters)

Cavalry: 1" x 2" rectangle

Huge: 2" square (Mossbeard, battle avatar, Gryphon, eagle, etc)

Super: CD-ROM. (Gauth, Dragon-Bone Catapault, Aryanun, Verocithrax)

It worked, after all. Y'all ARE paying attention.

I should point out that I was randomly slipping a username into the list. If anyone construed that to be a comment on the user's size (other than the ridiculousness of basing a human on a CD-ROM), my apologies are hereby proffered.

Edited by Herr Oberfroschmeister

If i am going to use the plastic base that came with the warlord figure should i get grean stuff to fill in the gap between the base and the slot on the bottom of the figure. Is there any other way to cover that up before I play flocking and grass and that sort of stuff.

I also am doing a warlord figure for the mini exchange and it is my first on as well. I am a bit intimidated. Warlord figs look a good deal more complicated and detailed than other reaper figs (or am i just immagining things)...

There are a few things you can use instead of greenstuff to fill in those holes.

A combination of white glue (Elmer's) and drywall spackle works very well.

Vallejo pumice stuff

Chewing gum (probably not a good idea, though)

Warlord minis sometimes have alot more detail than DHL minis...especially some of Werner's sculpts that have a plethora of buckles. I think Kyla has 17.

I think it's actually Talin who has the buckle fetish, but Werner seems to be more inclined than other sculptors to render all of the buckles. Or maybe I'm just starting rumors here. :wacko:

So if i wanted to keep with the wishes of my mini exchange person and do a warlord compatable figure, but chicken out and paint one that is not in the warlord line...all i woudl need to do would be to base the non warlord mini on a 1 inch square base??

Then again I already ordered the darned figure so I might as well just deal :poke:

A quick and easy fill for a warlord plastic base is a strip of masking tape. You can prime over it, apply PVA and flock as normal.

For the metallic, sculpted ones, you are going to use the GS, if you want it to resemble the sculpted texture .

masking tape....really?....very nice ::D:

Another quick question....(i'm having a lot of these lately)....do people flock and add grass and stuff to brocoli bases...or is that just generally not done???...I want to start playing with basingon some of my brocoli base mini's, but I am not up to (nor do i have the equipment to) start choping them from their brocoili bases.

Another quick question....(i'm having a lot of these lately)....do people flock and add grass and stuff to brocoli bases...or is that just generally not done???...I want to start playing with basingon some of my brocoli base mini's, but I am not up to (nor do i have the equipment to) start choping them from their brocoili bases.

I've cut off broc bases (pain), but I generally just mount the broc base on a square, and fill around the broc, and it works out alright. kinda gives the look that the mini is on a hill if that's what you're going for.

It worked, after all. Y'all ARE paying attention.

I should point out that I was randomly slipping a username into the list. If anyone construed that to be a comment on the user's size (other than the ridiculousness of basing a human on a CD-ROM), my apologies are hereby proffered.

And when am I NOT paying attention Frosch? ::D:

I knew you were not referring to the size of the person, but I did find it at least somewhat comical.

My first reaction: Wow Ary has her own mini now?

Second reaction: Frosch you big tease! ::D:

Yep. After painting it with PVA, it gets durable enough, and pretty much invisible underneath all the sand/flock/static grass.

As I said, it is pretty quick, and there should be no problem if the mini has been superglued to the base first.

Yes, you can add flock, static grass, field grass, sand, ballast, whatever, to the broccoli base. I use a lot of the small ballast stones from Woodland Scenics for rocky areas (especially underground).

After spraying with sealer, you can drybrush the grass, flock etc to give some additional color.

If you don't want to cut off the broccoli base, you can use the drop-in square and hex Reaper bases. Just use filler (greenstuff, plaster, epoxy mixed with sand or small stones (like ballast) to build thing up evenly. It is what I did for my Tiki:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8280