So, I'm going to probably order the Dungeon Dwellers colors when I'm ready to paint my Mansions of Madness minis. I also want to get stuff to pain blood effects where appropriate.  For instance, one of the minis is an ax-wielding dude with the ax lifted over his head in the start of a downward strike so I want to put blood on the ax and perhaps splatter it all over his front. 

To that end, I've been watching videos on doing blood effects and it seems Citadel's Blood for the Blood God is the favorite of many.  Does Reaper have anything that works as well?  If possible I'd like to just toss the blood stuff onto the order I'm already planning on placing but if Citadel's is better I'll get that instead.

What do you guys think? 

I haven't seen a reaper equivalent to Blood of the Blood Gods.  I love reaper paints but have always used the Citadel washes, glazes, technicals, etc.  Blood of the Blood God leaves a very wet and gory blood look.

Edited by Szharvid
  • Like 2

Oh, so it dries glossy?  If so then I'm sold.

Edited by Rignes

Yes, it dries very glossy and semitransparent.  It's even hard to tell that's it's dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya Clear Red. Should be some tutorials on the 'net for them.

For Q&D, semi-mix Army Painter Glistening Blood, Army Painter Dry Rust, and Army Painter brown Strong Tone. Needed an army of swords with blood...

mPR2byRm.jpg

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

No idea how well it works, but doesn't GreenStuffWorld also have a Blood Effect type paint now too?

Clearly, there are more popular offerings for blood effects than what Reaper has in their product line.   

Here is a thought experiment though:

If Reaper was the only paint company in the world and you had no choice but to use it, what would you use from the Reaper product line to get the best blood effects you could?

Regardless of the answers, I'll probably just grab some Blood for the Blood God at my LGS.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Also miniatire fresh blood ghost tint...

It's good to hear that one works. I just ordered a bunch of Minitaire paints and that was one. I've only ever used Tamiya Clear Red with a little black mixed in for blood effects. Can't wait to see how the Miniatire compares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rignes said:

Clearly, there are more popular offerings for blood effects than what Reaper has in their product line.   

Here is a thought experiment though:

If Reaper was the only paint company in the world and you had no choice but to use it, what would you use from the Reaper product line to get the best blood effects you could?

Regardless of the answers, I'll probably just grab some Blood for the Blood God at my LGS.

Mix some Reaper reds of desired hue into gloss varnish/sealer. Then use that. 

• Like 1

Fresh Blood is part of the Gory Red Colors triad I was looking at initially.   Maybe I'll experiment with some Brilliant Red and black just for kicks until I'm ready to buy some paints.

Out of curiosity does the Fresh Blood from Reaper dry matte like their other paints?  If so that's probably a major downside compared to other options.  I really like the idea of blood looking wet on a model.

I am pretty sure all of Reaper's paints dry with a matte finish, or mostly matte, unless otherwise stated (like gloss varnish, or metallics which are matte but not the same matte - if that makes sense). 

• Like 1