Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Putting my new Photon through its paces printing some Heroforge sculpts.
The halfling operative is actually a mash-up of two Heroforge sculpts in Tinkercad. (Why can't Heroforge let you have just a single cyberarm?)
Didn't think to photograph her till I had the primer on:
The first print of the gnome solarion didn't have enough supports on the arm with the fireball, so after cleaning the resulting lump out of the vat and trying again with more supports, here she is, supports and all:
She's a touch rough around the edges because I forgot to take final pictures before I sent her off to her forever home. But luckily, I took these before I finished to see what I wanted to fix and they're pretty close to the final.
This was a tiefling custom printed from Heroforge. My first real 3d printed piece, it was printed by a 3rd party who did a pretty nice job of it. But I found it interesting as it was this odd mix of some really fine details and some clunky ones. For example, the face, horns and hair were nicely detailed. But the cloak waves were quite angular and the wrist wrap on her left arm felt really bulky.
Color choices were provided by the person who wanted it painted, but I enjoyed what they wanted for the most part. And they asked for some extra details like a neck collar and a tattoo along her chest which can be seen peeking out from under the leather strap. A little freehand work that was simple but quite tiny but I was impressed that I was able to do it.
Here is my journey making my first water base. I'm not quite done yet, as I still have some work to do on the Satyr, but I'm so close to finishing. This was a huge experiment for me, but I'm planning to do it again. I'd like to enter a water piece into ReaperCon this year, and I think this was good progress on the way to doing just that.
I would love your feedback if you have any.
Photo 1 - I started with some foam board (first time using that too!!) and glued it together. I used regular old Elmer's glue for this.
Photo 2 - I started carving out the foam board and playing with where I wanted the main rock to be.
Photo 3 - I used some Vallejo Plastic Putty to smooth out the sides of the base. Neat stuff. Was recommended on another forum.
Photo 4 - I started to use some Milliput to seal in the foam in preparation for adding "water"
Photo 5 - I used Milliput and some cork to make "rocks"
Photo 6 - I decided I didn't really like the cork rocks at all and sculpted them to look like slate instead. I also started sculpting some river stones for the basin.
Photo 7 - More river stones, and placed the satyr to make sure it would work.
Photo 8 - Priming and zenithal light.
Photo 9 - Finally adding some color.
Photo 10 - Flocking and some plants added. I made the vine out of wire and paper. The "fern" was from a laser cut set of leaves I had. I'm not really happy with the fern looking thing. I've crushed it more than once now while painting, but it will have to do for now. Would love some feedback if you have any.
Photo 11 - I taped it and held my breath and add two part clear epoxy. IT LEAKED EVERYWHERE! It was terrible. I added more tape and stemmed the flow, but it was pretty bad. First time for water... I expected this to happen deep down inside lol.
Photos 12, 13, and 14 - I started adding scenic fibres to simulate the waterfall. I also used some water effects called Making Waves to "glue" it in place.
Photo 15 - I added another round of two part clear epoxy to make the water deeper and to fix some of the mistakes I made with the water effects and fibres.
Photo 16 - I used some micro sanders to bring the front of the water to a shine. I also added some more water effect to show some flow in the water. I also started painting the Satyr and playing with colors.
Photo 17 - I used some pure white paint to show water activity a bit more. I also did more work on the Satyr and glued him in place. I didn't pin him, and probably should have, but he's holding so far.
By Rob Dean
I have finally been feeling inspired this weekend, although, as usual, my Muse has her own way of doing things.
Back in September I posted a thread with some pictures of the first two HeroForge miniatures I had ordered and painted.
A couple of days ago, I got a Cigar Box Battles mat for urban terrain, which will be where whatever this project turns out to be takes place.
So, today I sat down and worked on some of the figures that have been on my desk for it:
The new figures finished today are in the front row. From left to right, Violet is a HeroForge figure; Karl is a Reaper 50211, and Cynthia and Kyle are from the Reaper 50042 Modern Children set. The skateboarder is on the table...
I'm still not sure whether this is going to be a skirmish game of some sort, or a roleplaying game, but there are at least some characters to get started.
Got Sophie this weekend and got a good start. I’ve been painting large minis lately so I needed a break. This is obviously heavily inspired by Wren’s, (Rhonda Bender) official painting but sort of flipping the hues of the dress and wings.
Just started playing with the designs on the brestplate segments. I have already made one attempt on the screen left that I rejected and have started to paint out. I may just paint them out altogether if I can't pull it off.
Who's Online 25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)