Sign in to follow this  
Chrome

Mil-Net's interview is up

I have to admit this ticks me off a little. I mean it is agervating. To here what "till the summer there are big exciting anouncements for CAV" Only to find out....

"Mil-Net: Can we expect to see any products out between now and the launch of 2.0? There aren't that many miniatures left from the JoR2.

Matt: For CAV, probably only the Heavy Words Novel will be released aside from the miniatures. Warlord will have several Faction Books released."

I mean I can deal with new rules. Rules for games change that is the way it is. But it is really agervating to be asked to give Reaper a chance when you are upset about the lack of products. I gave that chance. I mean there was that topic on the message group what a month ago. I said I would give them a chance and I shut up not one world of complaint since I would do that. What did I get rewarded with? Sure it seems we are going to get one new Novel and that is good. So I am supose to be happy with just one novel for last year and this upcoming year. Nothing new? I mean I hope I am missing something here. But frankly I was given the impression that those of us that had these concerns would be made to feel wrong. But as I am reading it. It seems worse than I thought.

Now I want to be clear. I am not basing Reaper here like I have seen a few people. I will not name there names. I am not even upset about a new rule system. I just hope that if there is going to be a new rule system that it has at lest rule options of more Complexity.

But I mean I read this and I can't help but ask myself. Why keep buying what Reaper is selling? I mean I read this and I want to see a reason to but I am having trouble seeing a reason.

I sort of honestly expect the next post to be about me about "shooting off their big yaps" But come on someone give me a reason to say I can trust reaper to support the new CAV better than they have the firs one? Because while I am honestly willing to bye a new ruleset. I am not willing to do so if Reaper's product support isn't going to get better than it has been. Because I am not willing to go through the same frustration I have a second time only to when at wits end here. Come on wait one more year for CAV 3

PS Nadin I am going to tell you abefore you post I don't want to here any of your game company this or that replies to this.

Sorry this is the way it looks from my POV

And yes the game is dead, but for very few places

I could compare it with oh Classic BTech... or many other games that are played at the hobbyist level... heck I could compare it with games that have never been relased but were the best thing since sliced bread.

Why do you think they are doing a relaunch? V 2.0 with a year in between is a relauch (BRAVO CLAPPING IN THE BACKGROUND, IT IS NEEDED... is this clear enough for you?)

As to questioning the fluff, I know how much work goes into it... but I also know the promises made. I know you do not see it as a problem but many of us do. If they keep to this plan they should do fine.

Now I do hope for the sake of CAV, that they stick to this plan. It sounds like a GOOD PLAN. Now you think this is being unprofesional by aplauding them by finally doing something that makes sense?

SHEESH!

What can I say?

I am shocked, NOT.

I also figure out you think I do not wish them all the luck in the world with the relauch... which I DO

Oh and as to copyright, did you even get what I meant by writing for hire? (Which is the rule in the industry?)

Oh and Kevin this was not meant at you.... but Kamut Though amazingly enough WE AGREE in one fundamental way... many people will not give them a second chance, you just voiced why... hence why they are going to relauch and go after a whole new fanbase.

Oh and in one fundamental sense, they are right. They have in many ways lost many of us. So again THIS IS A GOOD THING, as they need a new fanbase. If they supprt the game the way they are promising, they should do all right... insofar as the American Gaming Industry is concerned.

Oh and again GOOD LUCK WITH THE RELAUNCH. Every body needs a tad of luck as well, as Marketing... the latter they seem to more or less have in concept and implemenatation... (and it is also very expensive to do, I know)

::D:

If this guy is so dang smart and know soooooo much about the game market and writting Sci Fi, where's his game and minis company? Until you put out something better than Reaper does, your comments mean nothing. It's one thing to get on a message board and post some complaints about the company or it's games, when you trash them it crosses the line. Reaper has done pretty well, they are know all over the world for making great minis and games. I think they have a little bit better idea of how run this type of operation than you do. So if you don't like the minis, books, or paints don't buy them. If you don't like the game don't play it , and don't post your unfounded BS here. :blues:

Give it time padawan, as the game is being written and developped as we speak... well not quite, it takes a tad of time off the creative process.

And Reaper is known for QUALITY MINIATURES not games... Nobody has said that their minis are not top notch, as they are top notch and cheap. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they do not produce what we need right at the moment, but fear not we found a small minis company putting exactly what we needed, and also quite high in quality... generic MODERN. Last time I checked Reaper did not produce that. If they do, when they do... I expect them to be of high quality as well.

And my criticims of them is as a PLAYER who invested quite a bit on them and saw NOTHING of the promises made.

By the way, I do write in a profesional manner, and I have not trashed them for the quality of the writing I have seen. Some of it is very good, some of it is average and I will be one of the few to defend Matt Forbeck's The Red Dance, as I actually enjoyed that Novella... it was far better than some of the things I have seen from other places... and I was expecting it to be nominated by Reaper for the OAs. and was disapointed that it was not.

But hey this is water under the bridge... I expect, if they stick to this plan, that Reaper will also be known for Quality Games. For the moment, it is known for minatures, and they got a very impresive niche when it was needed, the fantasy minatures.

If they stick to this plan CAV will do fine, so will Warlord...

Oh and as a Hobbyist I have all the right in the world to be critical. I know you may not like that, but I do.

That said, stick to this, sounds like what the doctor ordered, a relauchn new fanbase, new time line (partially) betterdeveloped time line, as in better thought out, and paper product to suport the game. All I can say is BRAVO!

Is this clear enough for you?

Oh and by the way Padawan, Reaper started as an idea as well, it did not start as a mature game company. They started as an idea... and it is a good idea.

Again, ALL THE LUCK and will truly get my fire proof suit on, seems the locals are into flaming today... never mind they are missing the CLAPPING and very LOUD APPLAUSE

Well, make sure it's known what the name of your game and company. I'd be interested in checking it out whether its good or bad , since I have collecting RPG & Minis rules for about 12 years now. While I'm not claiming to be a market expert I have seen many games/companies come and go, so I think I know a fair amount ab out how the industry works. I don't mean to flame but guys like you are a dime a dozen on all kinds of Mini/RpG boards trashing games and saying how their game is going to be better. Most of the time it is BS. Now I'm not saying your is BS, it may in fact be in the works. Just remember the things you say about reaper when your game is up and going, it's not as easy as it sounds to do what they do. Also its not good business to openly criticise your competitors no matter what type of business you do.

I apologise if I sounded like a jackass :wacko:

Also sorry about the male references, not many females out there in game world :blush:

Trust me I know it is not easy.

In fact it is very hard

That is why it has taken us about three years to finally decide we need to do this

Once the game company has a website running it will be up.

That said, I am aware of the realities of publishing, in more ways than one.

I am also aware of the realities of launching a company. One of the problems that new gaming companies have is lack of good capitalization... (one reason why they comne and go), another problem that many new game companies have is marketing. Again one aspect that is very hard to overcome when you are a start up.

When I did critice them I did with full knowledge of this

Oh and it is a she, and apology accepted.

And yes, what they are doing makes sense, even if as a hobbyist it annoys me, to no end but it is what they need to do... there are things I have not said on this board though, that affect the gaming industry in the US in general, which also explain why others are doing so well... if you want to continue this conversation, email me,

[email protected],

as we are about to really stray away from what Reaper is doing, which is what many of us the critics were yaping about... Reaper THANKS for listening, now the proof will be in the implementation... if they do it... they will do fine.

Well my biggest concern is with the faction lists as this basically means my army is now illegal in all probability. I am doing a Terran legion however I use very few Syram and no Mitso-Ta units, reason why I don't enjoy painting those units. My force uses very few different units as this is how I see a military working the downside here is I must pick things I can stomach to paint again and again. Now currently my force is totally legal but it may well cease to be at which point CAV will basically be a dead game for me and that will irritate the heck out of me as I nejoy it.

Stuart

Well my biggest concern is with the faction lists as this basically means my army is now illegal in all probability. I am doing a Terran legion however I use very few Syram and no Mitso-Ta units, reason why I don't enjoy painting those units. My force uses very few different units as this is how I see a military working the downside here is I must pick things I can stomach to paint again and again. Now currently my force is totally legal but it may well cease to be at which point CAV will basically be a dead game for me and that will irritate the heck out of me as I nejoy it.

Stuart

Your Army will not become Illegal. if you remain a Terran Force, you may 'Grandfather in' your non-Terran-UCOR units, as the Fluff will assume they were 'Nationalized" by the Terran Government. If you choose not to remain a Terran Force, change to whatever Government supports the Majority of your units. If this is not a good option, go Merc. If this is not a good option, change nothing about your army (except where you actually *want* to) and still be a Terran Force. As I said on another Thread, I have a Templar force, but field some Adonse and Terran units, as well as a Ritterlich and a Rach unit. (No Malvernian units, but that was a matter of personal choice, since the Fluff indicated a Terran malvernian haterd, and The Bachelor (Who is my best friend, off the boards, and my greatest enemy on them) wants to field a Malvernis Force). Actually, I have more non-Templar-UCOR units painted currently than Templar UCOR units. (I also have the inside track on what becomes a Templar UCOR, mind you)(I love parenthesis)(A lot)

So Rest Assured my dear old chap, That you needn't restructure your army. the Fluff will *enable* you to have the forces you want, while *aiding* you in forging a better Strike team. Besides, all this speculation is pretty moot, I mean just look at all the rumors about Spiderman 3's villain, and none of them know the final outcome yet either! I only know the Alpha Testing Orginisation, currently. And as it stands now, I can still grab whatever CAV's strike my fancy, paint them up, and try to blow somebosy else to little bits. I don't even need to provide an explanation as to why a KODA Dictator would be in the same planetary force as an RMI Sultan or a MT Katana. They just are, and that's what I wanted.

Your Army will not become Illegal. if you remain a Terran Force, you may 'Grandfather in' your non-Terran-UCOR units, as the Fluff will assume they were 'Nationalized" by the Terran Government. If you choose not to remain a Terran Force, change to whatever Government supports the Majority of your units. If this is not a good option, go Merc. If this is not a good option, change nothing about your army (except where you actually *want* to) and still be a Terran Force.

So, it sounds like the differences in the forces will not be dependant on CAV, but more on army contruction/composition.

So, if you want a CAV-heavy force, you might have to choose Terran, but if you want a lot of infantry, you might have to be Rach, and if tanks are your thing, then you're fielding Ritterlich. The UCORS of the CAV/vehicles in question might not matter, or there might be a bonus for fielding only units from certain UCOR(s) in an army.

Or am I misreading here?

Hah! I can and will continue to create WAGs until I see rules. Ain't nothing gonna stop me from uppping my post count. (j/k)

Random speculation isn't a bad thing, per se. If nothing else, I suspect that some of these WAGs might find their way into the rules at some point.

Huh. So I finally read the interview. I think its great that Reaper took the time out to inform its players, which maintains my opinion that they are a quality organization. Now some thoughts...

I had a pretty positive reaction to what I read. Let me put this into perspective. Some of you may remember me getting involved in the eternal Fluff Wars discussion, and my gripe that CAV both lacks sufficient fluff (10% of any minis game system are rules and minis; the other 90% is background IMHO) and is sufficiently diverse to "grab" me and make me passionately a backer of my chosen faction. Go take a look any time on the Classic Battletech boards. The rivalry between Liao players and Davions is certainly there, and the backers are certainly passionate about their factions. There must be a reason for this. And that's why I couldn't get into CAV: there's none of that. But from what I read, it looks like Reaper is going to address that.

Here's specifically what I like:

One of the big things we're doing is ironing out some things we never liked about CAV's universe. Those of you who know about CAV's development remember that in the very very first incarnation, all the races were from the same world. We chose to make it a galaxy later but there are places where the nations didn't transfer very well into races. Players will notice that the aliens will be more alien in CAV 2nd Edition.

Excellent. Reading through the CAV 1.0 book, I really questioned what the differences between these races are: ultimately, very little. Adon itself was nothing more than an Alternate Earth, including alt Brits (Breonne?), Germans (Ritterlich) etc. Needless to say I WAS NOT impressed, and my "suspension of disbelief" was broken. That might work in fantasy systems, but I'm a bit more critical when it comes to SF.

We are still deciding the release order but first will probably be Heavy Words, a CAV Novel about the Steel Dragons Merc Company, and then faction books (including Psyros) followed by a second novel and several Scenario Books detailing theaters and campaigns of the 2nd Galaxy War. The ReaperGames site will also be the source of "CAV Annuals" which will grow the universe each year and be fan driven.

More great stuff. Faction books are what I've been wanting ever since I began my flirtation with CAV. Who are the Rach and why, exactly, should I care? Scenario books are also great. They subtly expand the universe, and in a campaign it gives players a hand in shaping the major events.

Other thoughts:

After the last Fluff War, I had for the most part decided to can CAV and just stick with CBT and occasionally Heavy Gear. In the past couple months I've probably spent a couple hundred dollars on CBT stuff., and I'll probably continue to do so. I'll probably never leave or abandon CBT; I have way too much invested in the game, way too much passion for the setting. I was there almost from the beginning (1985) and have seen the game through ALL its incarnations. But this announcement has piqued my interest again. Perhaps Reaper will finally give me something I WANT to game? Time will tell, and I'll definitely be watching.

Yes, I COULD go out and buy all the books, invest the time synthesizing the setting from the snippets of fluff scattered around the 3 (or 4?) books in print. But this didn't attract me. Why invest all that money when the main book didn't convince me? At least with faction books, I can spend a couple bucks and then decide whether I liked the faction or not, PURELY BASED ON FLUFF. Now, I have a History degree, as long time readers may recall. I graduated near the top of my major. I have a demonstrated ability to do that synthesis, and I still "keep up," as best I can, with the latest scholarship, as well as teach a class here and there (as in a REAL class, rather than O-L rants about the movie Arthur). As a fan of SF/Fantasy, the amount of money I spend on History books compared to the latter is a very large margin. However, at the end of the day, I would much rather have the fluff "spoon-fed" to me, because I may very well already be up to my armpits in the ramifications of the Severian Reforms. Enough said about that.

So I think this is a positive step in the right direction.

Damon.

Normally I don't get involved in these type of conversations but this time I will, so please bear with me.

I see everyone here bickering and arguing about the game. Now from my point of view I see people complaining about a game that was getting little to no support and was basically stagnating and dying on us. Now Reaper has basically told us we are getting what we asked for and people are complaininig about it. What's up with that?

People were complaining that there wasn't enough fluff. So what does Reaper do? They give us the second Galaxy Wars.

People were wondering how to go about creating specific armies. Reaper gives us the guidelines to do such a thing.

People were complaining about the lack of support, now we'll have the Reapergames.com and with the addition of ReaperBryan to the mix I've seen a tremendous increase in the Black Lightning support.

Personally I felt that the game was lacking direction and reason for why all the groups were fighting each other. Now with the Galaxy Wars and the UCOR specific factions I feel there is now an "enemy" and a reason to fight them. I also think there will now be more "animosity" between the faction and we'll see people getting very creative (not that this bunch isn't creative now) in building forces that are restricted to certain units or type of units.

How do I feel about the rule changes ? Don't know, I haven't seen them yet. I'll make that decision when I get to see them.Until then I'll still play CAV, I worked too hard to get other players in this are to give up now. One thing is for sure, I'll be checking out the Warlord (been wanting to play that anyways) Anyone in the Chicago area play Warlord?

So in short, We asked, They Listened and Hopefully We will get what we asked for.

Wether that is a good thing or not is left as an excersize for the student.

I will put away the soapbox now, thanx for listening.