Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Professor Pongo, Orangutan Genius--My first greenstuff mini from scratch!

I was surprisingly taken in with the lecture!! He’s very interesting...

and very entertaining and a great sculpt. I gotta try this if I ever get better at painting!!! Great job!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome creation!

Of course we should be very careful about smart simians!

image.png.c6463de964952c1172fd13812070f25b.png

"Careful. Human no like smart ape." https://cdn3-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/2014/06/spacecowboy.jpg 

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

I was following the Professor's progress, really like how he turned out!

Your encouragement was a large part of him getting done! Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Redd Knekk said:

I was surprisingly taken in with the lecture!! He’s very interesting...

and very entertaining and a great sculpt. I gotta try this if I ever get better at painting!!! Great job!!

I had fun writing it, and making the guy! I'm always happy if I can drop some Fibonacci trivia. 

41 minutes ago, TripleH said:

Good job. He makes learning fun.

Thank you! Teaching is my day job, and I often say that there are students who would learn the material even if a trained monkey was doing my job, and students who wouldn't pay attention even if a trained monkey was doing my job.

• Haha 2

OOOK! The good Professor is a WONDERFULLY imaginative creation, BEAUTIFULLY crafted & painted. VERY WELL DONE!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mutilatedlips
      This mini said Paizo on the bottom and a date from the early 2000's. It reminded me of the Robert E. Howard Conan story "Rogues in the House" and painted him with red in his cloak as sort of an homage.

• By Maledrakh
      I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Grinding through the Bones 4 core set, we have reached the last two dozen....and a full dozen of those are kobolds! Soon there will be less than 10 left!

Today I did the Ape Attack! subset

I chose to go different paths with each of them. These are so big, I think they are more useful as individuals than as a team. After all, there is only so much you can to with three giant apes, one of which that for some reason seems to have joined the Roman legions.

And I was not kidding when I said they were giant apes:

They are twice the height of a man, and what looks like ten times the mass.

#83: The Great White Ape

Drybrushed from black with a series of offwhites, ochre, beige and greys, and a couple of skin tones on the nekkid flesh.
      This one does double duty as an abominable snowman.
      40mm base.

#84: The Barlgura

A barlgura is a D&D chaotic evil demonic creature of the Abyssal plane. Described as semi-intelligent and brutally violent, looking like an eight foot tall blue-skinned Orangutan with wickedly sharp claws. The model is of a much larger Gorilla...Well... close enough. Let's just call him King Louie and leave it at that. "Oobee-doo! I wanna beat up you-oo-oo!"
      50mm base

#85: Ingkay Ongkay 

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." (Gladiator, 2000)

So, Reaper...Pray tell. What is it I am not familiar with here? In what context might I need a giant romanesque-armoured gladius-wielding ape exactly?

50mm base.

#83, #84, #85 the Ape Attack! subset
      Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      unknown sculptor
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      40mm and 50mm bases
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.

Bones 4 core set: 143/163 just 20 to go! 
    • By Rigel
      That's right, fellas and lady-fellas, it's time for CYBER-APES! 
      80001, Ape-X, is another mini I painted before I learned about Bones not playing nicely with aerosol primer. He was gooey and sticky for some years, so I simple-green stripped and repainted him when I learned that was an option. (He did make a guest appearance in this thread https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83280-miskatonic-faculty-biology-department/ ) This repaint is very similar but much better, though the eye and mouth still gave me some trouble.

50214 I got many years ago. Repositioned his limbs to cover two targets at once. His snarl seemed perfect for chomping a cigar, so I glued on a toothpick end. Also gave him a top hat, because why not. In retrospect, a bowler would have been better, but hindsight is 20/20. 

And a group shot, including my own Professor Pongo. If these three ever team up with the Simian Separatists ( https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84447-spacefuture-simian-separatists-eurekas-boiler-suit-apes-pic-heavy ) it will be a dark day for humanity indeed!

• By Rigel
      The thought came to me, burning-hot in my mind, that while probably no one else would ever need one, *I* could really use a great ape in mortarboard and academic robes. An orangutan for preference, given their eccentric genius and their handlike feet. Reaper already does a Cyber-Ape, but that is a violent simian, and also I want three "hands" in use rather than two.

Here's the rough sketch, 

and here's an armature I made late last night, compared to Orangutango. 

I've been reading the advice posts, so I'll take it slow-ish, work in layers, and be ready to murder my darlings...

...is there other stuff I should be warned about? Is this a fool's errand? (yes, obviously, but can I *do* it?)

Love to hear from y'all! 
    • By Sophie was taken
      Thread title pretty much sums it up. This is Callus the Renegade from Black Orc’s Hundred Kingdoms, sculpted by Jason Wiebe:

There is is a lot going on here, from chain, scale, and plate to all the spangly bits and Things on Belts. Tried to add some variety of color where possible. Not sure what actual colors were worn by Roman soldiers, but red is popular among cosplayers according to Google. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t purple at least.

Turns out Dark Elf Skin is a pretty good approximation of actual gorilla flesh. It also seems that brown is not a popular color for actual gorilla fur, but whatever.

I was unsure just what that thing in his left hand is, so I imagined it as some sort of monkey-headed scepter, and painted it up in Dragon Copper and Antique Gold. Mostly as an excuse to try out some GW verdigris. I probably miffed the placement, but it’s a neat effect. Very much a “nasty old penny” look.

Did I mention this guy is big? Here he is alongside Miss Forscale the Strumpet:

Comments and critiques appreciated!
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)