Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Cuttlefish Colors: A hobby paint line.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cephalopodstudios/cuttlefish-colors-a-hobby-paint-line/description

About

Cuttlefish Colors is a hobby acrylic paint line that we here at the studio have developed.  These paints work and blend very well with other major brands of hobby paint on the market right now, but at a much cheaper price tag.

Why use Cuttlefish colors

Beastclaw Raider painted using Cuttlefish Colors Beastclaw Raider painted using Cuttlefish Colors

For years we used just about every other major brand of hobby paint out there, always looking for that perfect color, the smoothest paint and the most cost effective. 

Lets face it, if you’re into tabletop war-gaming you know how expensive this hobby can be.  We were so tired of spending 5-6 dollars a bottle on paint, only to have them dry out with their flip top lids, the dropper styles were great but so difficult for us to get locally, and the consistency of the color varied greatly. 

Deathguard Marine painted using Cuttlefish Colors Deathguard Marine painted using Cuttlefish Colors

So, ten years ago we began doing research on the properties of hobby paint, how it’s made and where we can get the materials to do this.  After hundreds of failed attempts to “make” our own paint and thousands of dollars spent on failed formula’s we finally found the one that worked the best.

This formula gives you a smooth thin coat with good coverage and blends fantastically with other colors in the line, AS WELL AS other hobby paints on the market.  we began to experiment with different pigments and for the past 2 years have been painting miniatures with the paints we would mix up and bottle for ourselves.  

3e7f365a69aa82cc8645a8a94ac201c7_origina

It was about 6 months ago that our friends and local game group started asking about what colors we used and we told them, Well, We make our own.  Ever since that day people have been asking us "Can we buy some of your paint?"   After thinking about it and seeing if it was possible...well...here we are!  

6b979079721075d2ff782eeadeeb39f8_origina

We are very excited to bring our line of hobby paints to everyone, and can't begin to thank you enough for checking us out and hopefully, just hopefully pledging!  

Thanks from the bottom of our hearts,

Cephalopod Studios

3a6bbec1a5060c4fb6f54507c35bc254_origina
718434b6d95bd3b065a7ea00dbc63104_origina
  • Like 3

Here's hoping they post a pic of what the various shades look like... (comment reply looks like they will soon) 

I am curious as to why Core and Core+ are limited to just 50 backers though, as those tiers are a lot more affordable and will probably get a decent amount of people in the door. 

I'm also curious as to what size those dropper bottles are, since no mention is made of such. 

Not quite sure where $5-6 per bottle comes from, since even Citadel paints purchased at a Games Workshop store are less than that (they're $5 CAD, if that counts!.... Err, $5.40 now apparently), and Reaper is $3.69 per bottle. 

Starter pledge is $3.125 USD per bottle, Core is $2.81 USD each, Core+ is $2.58 per bottle....  Okay, it's arguably cheaper than others, assuming they're the same size...  But that image on the Kickstarter looks like the starter paints are one size, and the rest are one size down, so I'm curious. 

Nice to see new companies on the field though. 

• Like 2

Probably don't need the paint, but the name is great. Cuttlefish are epic critters. 

• Like 1

I don't see where this are much cheaper than the other brands;

here in Europe you can buy Vallejo for 2.20 to 2.40€ per bottle, Scale75 at 2.8 to 3€ per bottle and Army painter are even cheaper!
Once you add taxes and shipping this will go around  3.7€ and even more, so a big "no no" to Euro painters.

Yeah, like others I’m not really sure where the “massive savings” are here- unless the paint bottles are much larger? Also no disrespect to the creator but it seems like a pretty low effort campaign, and it’s doing really well- which is great for them- but I worry about these sorts of campaigns suffering from their own success. 

• Like 5

Another question or two that comes to mind is what is the finish these paints have that isn't mentioned in description... 

- Do they lean more towards matte, satin, or glossy? 

- What makes them different from all the other products on the market? 

Reason for the second one is there are companies like Instar which didn't just go for value pricing, but also went for "hey guys, we're a 99% match for most of the Citadel line", Warcolours has their gel based paints (as well as a wide line of metallic and technical paints), Scale75 has extremely matte paints (plus great boxed packs for various things), etc etc. 

Edit: additional questions that crop up... 

- Do the dropper bottles come with agitators?  If so, what kind, and size?  If no, why not? 

- How many metallic paints are in the lineup? 

- How much is shipping to (insert country here)?  Shipping is an important factor, especially if they're banking on value per dollar as their main pitch. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

They are in Illinois, I'd encourage them to reach out to Wappel and another painter or two before it ends. but they seem to be doing okay without much info..  and I need more paint like I need a hole i the head.. I'm curious about the washes they say they have though

• Like 3

I think I'll pass.  Just not enough information, and they have enough materials to make 75 bottles of each color?  That doesn't sound like they are anticipating that much support.

• Like 4

To be honest, the price isn't that low.

It's right on par with most ranges from the look of it.

Nothing to draw me in as of yet.

• Like 3

Adding shipping and customs, I can get Vallejo and Army painter cheaper at my local store. So price is not something that sells this project to me. What I'm also missing is a good colour chart. Not a lot of tangible information on the main page right now ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing that most of the backers are either newbies or they're used to only finding a certain brand of pots at their FLGS, and have no idea of how to find or order online.   

There's so little info in this KS that even if I wanted to back them out of the goodness of my heart(it happens... once every blue moon), I wouldn't feel right about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not enough information and shipping costs push me out on this one.  Being able to buy paint from Reaper where if I order enough paint I actually get free shipping is too good of deal.  Also Reaper is launching their new line soon so I will wait to spend my money on those. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's so little info in this KS that even if I wanted to back them out of the goodness of my heart(it happens... once every blue moon), I wouldn't feel right about it. 

That's kind of the thing for me too... I kind of like the idea of "sure, why not, I'm game for the risk of trying something new (or not getting anything)" but the lack of info is what really does it in for me.  There's just too many unknowns - for a few dollars more I could get a set of paints from Creature Caster, for example, or Instar, both of which have a good amount of info out there. 

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Not enough information and shipping costs push me out on this one.  Being able to buy paint from Reaper where if I order enough paint I actually get free shipping is too good of deal.  Also Reaper is launching their new line soon so I will wait to spend my money on those. 

How bad is shippi... Oh gawds, $35 USD for Core+ to Canada?  Doesn't matter how curious I am, sorry guys, you're pricing yourself at what over half of the new Reaper set will dent my wallet by, assuming the full set winds up being priced like usual (slightly cheaper than $3.69 per bottle, and comes with a free carrying case).   Or, alternatively, $35 shipping is what it would take to get an order shipped for free from Reaper.. 

That shipping cost outright kills any curiosity I have about their line, since the lack of info makes enough cautionary flags go up... 

• Like 4

It does seem like a group went "let's see if we can make paint" instead of collaborating with artists and paint-chemists. 

• Like 6

Maybe I'm weird, but I really wonder who Sir Rulean is. I mean, surely he doesn't exist just as a bad pun on some shade of blue that might make the line of colors harder to market to those with less tolerance for bad puns and/or less extensive command of the English language, right?

• Like 5