Ducknuck84

77090 Mason Thornwarden

Finished up #77090 Mason Thornwarden. Kind of have a love hate with this figure, I love the pose and design but the bones version just loses so much detail compared to #03500 which I also have The face was particularly troublesome. as he basically did not have a left eye. But as with everything its all about learning and I am mostly happy with how the cape turned out as well as the quiver.

723465805_77090MasonThornwarden01.jpg.7baa28f964a486386ac3d6de27ceb6e9.jpg62842795_77090MasonThornwarden02.jpg.2ff6015a76da5603f31a127629ea6fd2.jpg

Edited by Ducknuck84
  • Like 18

I like how you did him up--those eyes are super intense. That's a Hunter's Mark face right there. 
The washes and shading on the leatherwork, especially the quiver, are very well done. 

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      I've got this mini in the legend of drizzt board game last december and I just hated it right off the bat. The weird pose, lack of details, undefined face, I could go on... Also, something that was quite striking about it was the lack of feminine detalis and a kind of a masculine look of the female ranger  It looked to me more like a man dressed as a female ranger, and I found that quite funny and promising!

As I've thought more about it, it reminded me of Doris from "Sherk" and Okama characters from "One Piece", which I both love!

So those characters inspired me to paint Catti in a similar fashion, which I believe gave the mini much needed character. I like how it turned out and I think she will make an interesting pc or npc in our dnd campaign! 
      Enjoy! 

• By 72moonglum
      So here is the third figure from the set I was working on recently, a female fighter or ranger with staff. Nowadays on the Ral Partha's site, they just call her a fighter, but she originally belonged  to a three piece blister pack of Rangers from Julie Guthrie's "All Things Dark and Dangerous" figure line.

Being she was a ranger originally, quite the opposite of the Ranger Archer I just finished a few days ago, I tried to give her a bit more natural colors.  And here is then the group together, and the original image I found from an old catalogue:

So anyhow, fun figure to paint, hope you all enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening everybody!
      So have been doing lately a lot of classic Julie Guthrie from her Partha days and the last one I've finished is what is currently listed as an Archer, but that previously came in a set of three Rangers in her Partha Line "All Things Dark and Dangerous".

Being he's these days called an archer, I kind of deviated from the typical browns and greens as I kind of wanted some deeper, darker colors. I started off with his lavender shirt and then just kept going with different plums and purples. So he's not too nature-like but he's maybe a moon or night ranger.

Anyway, hope you enjoy him!

and here's that image he originally came from back in the eighties.  I've got the two guys done, I'm working now on the gal with the staff, hope to have her done before Memorial day is over:

• By Darcstaar
      Here is the next figure on the list.
      Callie.  I think it’s funny that episode 1 was Cassie, and right next to her is a figure with almost the same name.

She had had a weird straight warp to the lower part of her bow.  I boiled that out.  It has stayed in the corrected position for a month now.

This is after Brown Liner.  It looks like an arrow coming out of the quiver, but strange it has no fletching....From the front, maybe a finger?
    • By 72moonglum
      So I finished this one two nights ago, didn't get around to taking his photo yesterday because I got home too late last night and it was just too dark to take advantage of natural light.

Here is another Julie Guthrie Ral Partha classic from the eighties a hooded fighter/warrior/ranger with sword and shield.  Being he was originally listed in the eighties as a ranger:

I wanted to give greens and browns, but nowadays being he is just being called a hooded fighter, I still wanted to keep some natural colors but ended up giving him some non-rangery colors on his shield:

Also his inner cloak I used the same colors and painted at the same time as the female archer I just finished (her green gloves).  

Anyhows, hope you enjoy another classic figure from the past!  Julie Guthrie was great back then and she's even greater now!
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 153 Guests (See full list)