Sign in to follow this  
Brianuk

Dave Graffam East Gate - plus

I brought the papercraft file for the Dave Graffam models East Gatehouse, and then used that as a template for a foam building. So this is essentially an exact copy of his building, using his plans, which I brought.

It should be more durable and allowed me to have more texture, and floors for minis to stand on. I had to increase the size of some dimensions to allow for the thicker material i was using (10mm xps). On the other hand,  I was able to use the proportions and design of his model and not start from scratch and get it wrong. 

All painted with cheap acrylic craft paint apart from the wood which was painted with cheap burnt umber paint but then washed with Vallejo smoky ink.

The stone effect comes from a greenstuff world roller. The wooden Tudor frame comprises coffee stirrers. The balcony is from an mdf kit made by Blotz, and the doors are from another mdf supplier. The roof tiles are paper/thin card and come on a sheet from Charlie Foxtrot models. So essentially I have patted myself on the back for being economical by making something from xps foam but then purchased lots of features for it, although that has saved me time. 

Next steps are to finish painting the balcony, then make the roof for the long section and add the tiles to the top roof. 

20190312_152835.jpg

20190312_152801.jpg

20190312_152753.jpg

20190312_152726.jpg

20190312_152733.jpg

20190312_152811.jpg

• Like 15

I have built a few Dave Graffam models just by printing and gluing onto regular 5mm foamcore. I can't imagine working with stuff that thick. Looks good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

I have built a few Dave Graffam models just by printing and gluing onto regular 5mm foamcore. I can't imagine working with stuff that thick. Looks good.

Thank you! I find it OK to cut, I use 5mm but was worried about the thinner stuff bending when I used the roller. 

My smart phone makes all the proportions look really off... More progress including a base coat for the tiled roofs and the structure (black plasticard with xps foam supports) for the main roof. 

20190313_205146.jpg

20190313_205155.jpg

• Like 6

Sweet!  I've often pondered picking up some of those GreenStuffWorld texture rollers (I always freeze up over the issue of ... WHICH ONES?!?) but I always thought of them in the context of basing and floor tiles -- I didn't even think of WALL textures.  That looks pretty nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Sweet!  I've often pondered picking up some of those GreenStuffWorld texture rollers (I always freeze up over the issue of ... WHICH ONES?!?) but I always thought of them in the context of basing and floor tiles -- I didn't even think of WALL textures.  That looks pretty nice!

The ones I used here were "small bricks" and "herringbone" (for the road). I have a number of others and they nearly all work well with xps foam. There is a geometric aztec one ("Ancestral Recall") that is good for Ghost Archipelago/Jungle ruins. Have posted about it before. Would recommend them although there is also a producer of 3d printed roller sleeves (so to literally go on a painter roller handle) that look good as well. Mighty lancer games sells them in the UK. 

Edited by Brianuk
Wrong roller names
  • Like 1

I like it!

You could add a little flock to represent moss to that roof.

Maybe put some birds on there?

Great terrain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! There are terrible tide marks on the roof from washing it and could obscure some of that with flock. I do also have some model birds somewhere... 

• Like 2