Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Here is the start of pathfinder red, which I’ll be doing as a Sapphire dragon, similar to what i did with the Grenadier Red Dragon II (which I did as a Ruby dragon) a while ago.
Just base colors here; dark blue/black wash over his entire body, earth wash over the sand, and white statue. I really like how the blue and brown look together. The brown will be lightened up to sand, and the blue will end up a more saturated dark blue. I hope those colors will still look good together...
By Lidless Eye
They called them Renegade. Traitor. Heretic. Just for abandoning the lies of the Corpse-Emperor for the loving embrace of Grandfather Nurgle. They heard his call, they would tend to the eternal garden.
Here are some of my last finished miniatures of 2019, I just forgot to upload them to the forums. Cultists, Renegades, and Traitors to serve in my Warhammer 40k forces.
... The larch?
Heh. No, but I want to try something very different from my preferred style in order to branch out and try new things. I recently watched Coco (um... several times) and took a liking to the alebrijes, especially Pepita. I really want Reaper to make a Pepita. So this is my way of showing how fun it could be!
The plan: A chibi lion with patterns like the traditional Oaxacan Alebrijes. This means fun bright colors and an attempt at making a piece look like wooden folk art. It can be done!
First step, research.
...and my personal favorite:
Perfect! I wanted to practice red anyway. I ended up choosing red shadow, dragon red, big top red, seoni scarlet, volcanic orange, marigold yellow and sun yellow as my colors.
Second step is to pick a mini.
I supported Impact's kickstarter quite awhile ago and almost forgot I had this fellow. It's the Venetian Lion.
I set forth in an effort to prep the mini.
Um... it took a lot of prep. I decided to go ahead and attach one wing at the risk of making the body harder to paint. I sanded for about half a day then filled in all the bubbles and sculpted one set of claws. Er, I'm hoping their QC has improved since the kickstarter, because this piece took almost a day to prep. Oddly, I think the 3D print went into the mold un-sanded and with texture, because the large surfaces had a texturing I associate with those prints. It took several layers of sealer to smooth.
But, I finally got him primed. Isn't he cute!
Next, I basecoated with red shadow. why red shadow, you ask? Because red is awful at coverage because of its translucency. So, basecoat with a red brown. This will save you frustration down the road.
Next, layer with dragon red. Leave a few areas of the red shadow as deepest shadows. Here's where I had to decided to commit to the wooden/statue route, because a real lion would have a darker back and a pale belly, whereas a figure in top-down light would be the opposite.
Still not red? Never fear! Also, put a lot of layers of each step. Lots and lots of layers. Next step big top red.
Next, seoni scarlet. I like this color. It's super intense. Very shiny. Except it's matte, but you know what I mean.
Boom! Now we're in the red zone.
Now, I need eyes. A miniature is lifeless until we add eyes. I like doing them early because they often help guide the rest of the project.
I basecoated the eyes with marigold yellow. Then shaded the edges with volcanic orange.
Then I added some sun yellow to the center. Even a chibi eye can afford some shading, otherwise the socket looks too flat.
After that, I drew in the iris shape.
I used red shadow and added a pupil of nightshade purple.
When I was happy with the shape and balance, I filled in the eye with some terra nova tundra and more of the yellows.
Excellent! I also mixed a bit of linen white into the yellow just at the edge of the iris ring. Here's a front view:
Last step in eyes if adding the white reflection. I used pure white for contrast.
So he's sort of a demonic cute lion. It could work, right?
Then I wanted to try out wing patterns. For the last 3 days I've been wanting to get to the fun part, so I forged ahead and rushed to this step. As it turns out, that was an error, but it worked out in the end. I think.
Ok, the key to freehand is breaking down a pattern into something simple. I started with circles.
Filled in the circles and added some teardrop lines.
added some more lines.
and on and on...
Until I felt like I was getting closer to pattern. It was then I realized the wing looked way to flat and dull. I needed more shading. What I should have done was make the feather lighter near the origin to add more contrast. So I glazed over the pattern. I'll just have to pick it back up again after I'm done with the shading.
Here's the wing with the shading. I'll touch it up a bunch, then rework the pattern. But I think I like it better with the change in contrast. We'll see. I can always paint over it. Sigh. That will teach me to skip to the fun stuff.
More later! As always, feel free to ask questions!
so finished this one a few days ago and he's been sent to his final home, a commission figure I was asked to do. The figure itself is pretty neat, I'd never painted any Rackham figures before so it was something fun and different. I think I can see a bit the joy of commissions for other people because you never know what you are going to receive. Anyhow, here he is, hope you enjoy him!
Who's Online 7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)