• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2019 at 10:42 AM, lazarp said:

I love the lighting effects, awesome work!!!

Care to share a tip on how to do it that way? :lol:

Sure!

The key things for this were the consistency of the glazes and the direction of the brush strokes. I pulled the paint from the lower points to the higher points, in order that when I removed my brush, the majority of the paint was left higher up on the mini. This is kind of hard to put into words, lol. I'm bad at explaining things.

First thing I did was make a glaze of Burgundy Wine, and glaze over the largest part of where the light from the sword would hit, just to give these parts a slightly violet tint. After that, I used Violet Red to glaze the higher points of those parts closer to the sword. At first, I used the Pale Violet Red to go lighter, but it was a bit too pink for what I was going for. Instead, I just added a tiny bit of linen white to the Violet Red midtone to bring it up toward a more apt version for this. Again, I made this into a glaze and applied this only to the very tips near the sword.

For the sword, I used the same colors, and just pulled from the hilt to the tip of the blade, one thin glaze layer at a time and making sure they were completely dry before doing the next.

If you have any other questions, please ask, and I'll try and answer them as best I can!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, HolkDiggity said:

Supposed to be from the sword.

Thought so, sorry. I just finished one where the light was shining at a wizard who was holding up a staff so the SOL was shining on the staff but not emanating from it (if you get me).

I got to thinking the wraith was dodging a red fireball spell and it was shining off his sword and glowing on his cloak.. Looks great either way, seriously awesome effect!!!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Redd Knekk said:

Thought so, sorry. I just finished one where the light was shining at a wizard who was holding up a staff so the SOL was shining on the staff but not emanating from it (if you get me).

I got to thinking the wraith was dodging a red fireball spell and it was shining off his sword and glowing on his cloak.. Looks great either way, seriously awesome effect!!!

This is good stuff to consider! It gives me a lot to think about next time I do something with OSL!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Took a shot at the ol OSL. 

This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up.  Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot.  Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it.  I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly.  Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.
      *  The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.  
      *  After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further.  I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.

Misses:
      *  The highlight on the face is way too much.  I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun.  Help.
      *  What colors to use for bringing up a light source?  I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away.  I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.
      *  The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something.  Does it look strange without it?

If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too.  I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL.  I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.  
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, now that the event is over, here are some more pictures of my entry in the 17th Quarterly contest. A big thanks to everybody that voted for me. This is a 77752, Female Minotaur sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It was a fun model to work on and I challenged myself painting object source lighting (OSL) on it. I made the fire with pieces of popsicle stick and Liquitex heavy gel medium.

• By Samedi
      Finally varnished and ready for the table: Sepp, Brunhilde and Urs.

I painted them up to kick off my Rangers of Shadow Deep Project. More infos and a bit of backstory can be found in this WIP.

Those three are my first attempt at OSL. Luckily, I did not have to make this journey alone: I'd like to thank @Geoff Davis for a great class at RVU and an even better private lesson via zoom.

Enjoy, C&C very welcome!

• By Waylandrk
      Thanks to everyone who passed on swampy/marsh basing tips. Experimented with a few and got an effect I liked. 
      My jungle Tatzlwyrm now has some suitably wet ground to lurk in.

• By Geoff Davis
      A Hellcat Hacker for my Corregidor Nomads team for Infinity. 

• Who's Online   22 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)