Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Here is my journey making my first water base. I'm not quite done yet, as I still have some work to do on the Satyr, but I'm so close to finishing. This was a huge experiment for me, but I'm planning to do it again. I'd like to enter a water piece into ReaperCon this year, and I think this was good progress on the way to doing just that.
I would love your feedback if you have any.
Photo 1 - I started with some foam board (first time using that too!!) and glued it together. I used regular old Elmer's glue for this.
Photo 2 - I started carving out the foam board and playing with where I wanted the main rock to be.
Photo 3 - I used some Vallejo Plastic Putty to smooth out the sides of the base. Neat stuff. Was recommended on another forum.
Photo 4 - I started to use some Milliput to seal in the foam in preparation for adding "water"
Photo 5 - I used Milliput and some cork to make "rocks"
Photo 6 - I decided I didn't really like the cork rocks at all and sculpted them to look like slate instead. I also started sculpting some river stones for the basin.
Photo 7 - More river stones, and placed the satyr to make sure it would work.
Photo 8 - Priming and zenithal light.
Photo 9 - Finally adding some color.
Photo 10 - Flocking and some plants added. I made the vine out of wire and paper. The "fern" was from a laser cut set of leaves I had. I'm not really happy with the fern looking thing. I've crushed it more than once now while painting, but it will have to do for now. Would love some feedback if you have any.
Photo 11 - I taped it and held my breath and add two part clear epoxy. IT LEAKED EVERYWHERE! It was terrible. I added more tape and stemmed the flow, but it was pretty bad. First time for water... I expected this to happen deep down inside lol.
Photos 12, 13, and 14 - I started adding scenic fibres to simulate the waterfall. I also used some water effects called Making Waves to "glue" it in place.
Photo 15 - I added another round of two part clear epoxy to make the water deeper and to fix some of the mistakes I made with the water effects and fibres.
Photo 16 - I used some micro sanders to bring the front of the water to a shine. I also added some more water effect to show some flow in the water. I also started painting the Satyr and playing with colors.
Photo 17 - I used some pure white paint to show water activity a bit more. I also did more work on the Satyr and glued him in place. I didn't pin him, and probably should have, but he's holding so far.
I was asked to paint my friend's steel Hero Forge mini. The character is a Half-Fairy Werewolf Drunken Master, so no judgment on the design of the mini. I have painted 5 or 6 of the, "cheap" and expensive plastic minis from Hero Forge but this is the first metal one. I have to say they are tough but as rough as 60 grit sandpaper, and you lose almost all fine detail. In the picture the metal one is on the right, the priest in the center is the cheap plastic, and the bard on the left is the HQ plastic. Still yet to see a brass one.
My BF had a PC made with Heroforge I've been putting off, cause he wanted Tartan painted.
I've seen all the recent Tartan posts here and followed along with the tutorials and I'm so pleased with how it came out!
He also requested a red leather jacket and green mohawk. Overall I am so happy with this mini.
Used almost all reaper paints, and a couple of citadel washes.
Thanks so so so much for all the tartan inspiration!
Who's Online 28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)
- Darsc Zacal
- Cranky Dog
- Doug Sundseth
- Knight of the Dinner Table