Sign in to follow this  
FireImp

Ral Partha Griffin

Finished another of the gifted old school minis, this one a Ral Partha (sez so on the base). I really like the sculpt on this one, so much detail...tiny shallow detail that would be easy to lose. So I did very little highlighting after the sepia ink wash.  

Now what to do about the base. I’m going to attach it to a larger base, but I’d like to be able to take that off someday in the future A) for RP verification, and B) to build a better base if I ever get into that. I’m wondering if regular white glue would be a good choice?

6C61163C-E7D7-436C-834B-0896A2E61DD5.jpeg

F8550E3D-357A-453E-9043-8647DD67468F.jpeg

Edited by FireImp
Wrong photo
  • Like 19

Beautiful sculpt! I like how you gave it a gentle, but good, paint job, bringing out a natural feel and keeping all the lovely details!

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening gents and gentettes,

So finally got another one finished this afternoon. I was working on him for a while now and got done painting him two nights ago, let him cure, got his base attached last night, and then this afternoon on my lunch break (working from home for the foreseeable future) got his grass stuck on and photos taken.

So with this elf, I didn't want to just do him in either browns or greens, so went with yellows and oranges with some leathery colors instead.  I also did his bow thinking of more of an ivory bow, so off white. There were a few other things I could have done with him, but calling him done. This one is a classic Ral Partha Julie Guthrie figure from her range "All Things Dark and Dangerous", from back in the eighties.  Most of them you can still end up getting still from Iron Wind, so that is a plus. Anyways, here he is, hope you like him!

• By Maledrakh
      or as those Texans keep spelling it, "Griffon". (Texans are lovely people, I wouldn't dream of antagonizing them over their simpleton spelling. These folks have guns. I mean, not even the more common "Griffin"...)

I went with the African Bateleur Eagle, as it has a striking black, white and red colouration with large creamy panels on the top of the wings. The back bit is just a generic big cat, with reddish brown hairy bits to balance all the red on the front.

This model is made in regular 3rd generation Bones plastic. Which in spite of being much more rigid than earlier Bonesium, is not nearly strong enough to hold any weight in awkward positions over time. If one of its front talons had been sculpted touching the base in some way, this would probably not have been a problem. As it was the talon was involuntarily touching the rim of the base anyway together with the wingtip dragging along the ground. This was discovered and fixed some time ago, and I forgot to take any pictures of the listin' gryphon.
      Anyway, since it drooped quite a bit after just standing around on the shelf, it was nessecary to brace it. I did this by drilling up into the leg and inserting a 1mm diameter metal rod (I used a part of a paperclip for this) to make it stand up properly and discourage further drooping. The pin goes up into the hip or so from beneath the base. This fix has now held in the several months since I fixed it.

A long time being exposed to the enormous monsters from Warhammer has skewed my size perception. For some reason I have been thinking about this gryphon as "the small one".

Drybrushed from a black undercoat. Yeah, it is a bit rough in places, but perfectly serviceable.

#82 The "Griffon" 
      Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      unknown sculptor
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      50mm base.
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.
    • By Rob Dean
      We were basically on apocalypse watch at work today, so I decided to take my mind off it for a little while at lunch with a speedpaint (60 minutes). Over the weekend I prepared a handful of Ral Partha individuals, inspired by my recent trip to Cincycon, so I brought a group of four with me today.

I tried this guy as a warm-up; it’s been a while since I painted a true 25 metal individual. I wanted to use lighter colors because I usually tend towards dark.  I hoped that the Heart Throb Pink over the Cinnamon Red would look faded.  It needs more blending to stand up to be photographed at this level of enlargement.  I’m also not sure what the extra layer of cloth at the right (but not left) wrist is suppose to be, so I painted it grey. 

I will post a picture of him based, hopefully tomorrow.

• By 72moonglum
      And here is another figure I just finished, a classic Tom Meier Elf Princess. This was from the Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night Range, sculpted in the eighties.  This was the second version of this figure, the first one far more simple.  Anyhoos, lots of flowers and she's a pretty small figure, so hope you enjoy the mini! She's not currently available on the old Iron Wind web site, but she was fun to paint just the same!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys,

It's been a while since I posted a mini, as I've been sick, been on a business trip, and just generally busy, but here is a figure I just completed last night, a Julie Guthrie figure from "All Things Dark and Dangerous" back in the eighties:

Upon retrospect I'm wondering if I should have given her eyebrows, don't know if without looks very unnatural?

In any case, here's the "original" set of figures, with the delightful ladies that came in the original blister pack:

Hope you enjoy!

• Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)